• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Apple or Android?

Roger Rad

The Fabulous One
And personally I do support the decision that the 3,5 mm audio plug was removed. It will finally persuade headphone makers to innovate on wireless headphones! The lack of features is disturbing there.

Spamomanospam

Captain Kick-ass
I feel like the removal of the jack was a money grab; there's no reason not to support standard hardware. Every iPhone user I know has lamented IN FRONT OF ME that they didn't just use a micro USB. These coupled together are very obviously just to generate sales in their corporate tech. As for wireless headphones, there's plenty of Bluetooth options available already. The removal of the jack is a hindrance and not by any stretch of the imagination could I believe it was any kind of innovation.
That sounds kind of harsh, I don't mean to criticize you for your opinion, I just disagree in every point. XD

Every time I've seen and had to use an Android phone for a few moments, even being the latest of the latest, it looks and behaves kinda jerky. Sudden stops and lagging while displaying content, and what not.
The thing about Apple is the ecosystem. I have Mac laptops at home and at work, and having an iPhone and an iPad, everything is shared and synced right away.
I'm not the one to buy the latest of the latest. I had an iPhone 4S from 2012 to May of this year, and it was getting slow loading apps and what not, but it was still very usable and supported. In May I bought an iPhone SE because I don't like the phablet form factor, and I've been pretty happy and probably won't change it for another 4 years :)

TattooArtist

I'm the B and my boyfriend is the T in LGBT ❤
Which format do you prefer and why?

And is there something the the other has that you still like over your own?

Apple kinda just pisses me off because of the stupid amount of iPhones which haven't got massive improvements, really the best thing about Apple is the apps and the emoji's, I'm gonna have to go with android.

I've actually had Apple products a lot longer than I've had Android ones, but being able to upgrade the storage in my phone was a must. And as far as usability is concerned, I don't think either one is "easier" than the other. They both have their short-comings.

I prefer Android because of its diversity and mid-range price phones. I will have to give Apple some credit because Apple at least updates their older models to the latest ios. This is not always the case when it comes to Android phones, but I believe it is just a small price to pay.

I'm probably a bit biased since I only ever had Android phones (and one Nokia way back when but we don't talk about those times) and it's much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, did I say much already? prominent in my country.

But from my own experiences with friends' phones and my sister's phone / computer, I don't think I could switch to iOs now.

Some things I like to, and regularly do with my phone:
a) Dowload music of the internet on my computer and pass it to the phone via USB (or download it directly from youtube on the phone)
b) Use the phone as a flash drive substitute (I'm always with it, after all)
c) Use apps that aren't exactly on the app store

None of these are possible in iOs, at least easily without some kind of jailbreaking.

We can also talk price:
You can find decent-ish Android phones going from 400 bucks (local price) all way up to 3000 (your latest Galaxy phones and the such)
While you can find an iPhone 4S closer to the lower bound at 500, it looks fishy given the price not to mention that it's considered "obsolete" by Apple standards. Its sibling, the iPhone 5S clocks into three times that price at 1500 bucks and the 6S at even more with 2700.

It's also much more prone to get me robbed since it draws attention (every single case I've seen for iPhones showcase the apple) to the fact that I have something very expensive with me where my current phone, and the - perhaps cliché and most likely hyperbolized - "stare at it funny and you'll break" thing.

And that's all before the problem that usually comes with changing operating systems.

iOS is good for people who either like owning Apple products as a status symbol and/or aren't very tech-savvy and want something that does most of the work for them. I usually recommend iPhones to my aunts who have a hard time figuring out how smartphones work because it's more user-friendly. With that said, for a developer like me who needs a lot of flexibility with my smartphone, Android is the way to go. Additionally, iOS locks you into Apple's ecosystem. For those who use everything from Apple and are used to and happy with it, good for them - but personally, I prefer having the freedom to use my tech the way I want to, with many different devices not necessarily all running the same OS. I use Linux, Windows, Android...most everything except Apple's stuff.
Then again, that's been Apple's appeal from the beginning: make it easy-to-use and visually appealing for the layperson, not necessarily for the tech person or the programmer.

Apple because it's easier to use and they make iPad minis which are like the perfect size device for me, but Android is better in regards to customizability and stuff like that

so I basically don't care and like both

Spamomanospam

Captain Kick-ass
I have Mac laptops at home and at work, and having an iPhone and an iPad, everything is shared and synced right away.
I have all my stuff synced between my devices through my Google account. It works much the same, I have all the info I need shared between my phone, tablet, and PC as long as they're logged in to Google or using Chrome. Which is always. : P

Android is superior technically but I have an iOS and it would be too much work to transfer everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom