• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Apple or Android?

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Android, I dislike Apple stuff on principle because A) the UI for Macs is ****ing cancerous and that influences my opinion of their other products and :cool: Apple as a company is sleazy and untrustworthy. Also most* droid phones have a removable battery, which is nice because it allows for easy hard resetting if the Power Button is screwed up and doesn't require replacing the whole phone if the battery goes to ****. I will concede the relatively decent camera quality, though.

*The Galaxy S6 dropped the ability to remove the battery which was the deciding factor when I purchased my S5.

Djinn

and Tonic
I definitely agree that the general practices of Apple turns me off to wanting to ever deal with them before I get to the products. They are an incredibly unscrupulous company that loves to play with patent trolling to make up for lost profits. I am also really lost on the near cult following they seem to have.

I will say their handheld gadgets are pretty good. Their software is terrible and they need to lighten up on their strict adherence to proprietary software on all their products but the physical devices are surprisingly well made.

I have been an Android fan for years but they are slowly moving towards Apple in their hardware by imitating everything I do not like. The non removable battery and dropping Flash was not good in my opinion.

Android all the way. I hate Apple with a passion, and will never understand why it's popular when it

-doesn't allow easy transfer of files via USB cable
-doesn't allow access to uncompressed, high quality music (everything that comes from iTunes sounds ass)
-is incredibly overpriced for what it can do
-is in every way the inferior option.

My phone can connect to any non apple device, loses less than 1% of battery per hour, doesn't track me or send data about what I'm doing somewhere else and can do everything else an iPhone can do at least as well, if not better and the whole thing cost me 220 Euros. I bought it two years ago and it still works perfectly like on day one.

I can't really talk about macs and stuff like that since I don't have one, but when it comes to smartphones or music services, I'll never understand why anyone would willingly pay for an Apple product.

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
I had a Galaxy S4, and currently own an iPhone 6s Plus, and Android is definitely the winner. Better customization, and easier navigation as well as better and more customizable widgets makes Android the better platform.
However, Siri is dope.

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
Android. User customization is what I enjoy. I have my phone customized to my flow and what I can do is a lot better.

Also not having to jailbreak a phone to play games on an emulator is hella dope.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I can't really talk about macs and stuff like that since I don't have one, but when it comes to smartphones or music services, I'll never understand why anyone would willingly pay for an Apple product.
Because Apple are status symbols. For Apple fans, you're not in unless you keep up with the latest products despite how little difference there is between each one. And they're almost never called by the names of their type of product. It's always the Apple brand name. Unless they're specifically pointing out which exact item they purchased, Android users use generic terms and are not going to use brand names in typical casual conversation to refer to their own devices. Apple fans don't do this. To android users they would say they're going to use their phone, tablet, laptop. To the typical Apple user, they will almost always instead say they're going to use their iPhone, iPad, or Macbook. Always the Apple brand names. Go ahead and try not to notice this, it can't be done. It's always about status. And being obsessed with pointing out that they are using an Apple device is part of that status. It's why none of them care about the inferior quality and elevated price, because they are not going to be in if they don't have it. And to a lot of people that's all that matters even if they don't consciously realize it. It's a natural human impulse to gravitate towards accepting peer pressure to fit in and this is one such thing that's common for us now.

My own sister obsessively purchases the latest iterations of every kind of Apple portable device for every single member of her immediate family. Don't ask me how they can afford it because we have no idea and are assuming they can't and are simply building up massive debts. They also replace their cars and camper every couple years.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Android has better apps. But ios is better in every ither way. Including not having scammy apps.
Nope. Android has WAY more flexibility (ex. i can download torrents on my android phone without jailbreaking), not to mention the top of the market Android phones have much better specs than any iPhone.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
It's a bit technical on how to actually do it, so I won't go into details. But almost every Android device lets you load Apps not available directly on the store it has by manually loading it onto the device on an SD card or through a USB cable. Whereas on an Apple device you'd typically have to jailbreak them first to do that. And Apple actively tries to stop people from being able to do that, and in the case of phones, it can sometimes violate your contract and get you in trouble when you have to send the phone back to them to upgrade to a new model. Such as charging you way, way more to upgrade by not giving you credit for turning in the old one.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Android all the way. Not only because of the things alreayd been said by the users above me but I just don't like apple. I refuse to buy an iPhone only because it is an iPhone and it's apple and supposed to be good. You couldn't have fooled me more.

Because Apple are status symbols. For Apple fans, you're not in unless you keep up with the latest products despite how little difference there is between each one. And they're almost never called by the names of their type of product. It's always the Apple brand name. Unless they're specifically pointing out which exact item they purchased, Android users use generic terms and are not going to use brand names in typical casual conversation to refer to their own devices. Apple fans don't do this. To android users they would say they're going to use their phone, tablet, laptop. To the typical Apple user, they will almost always instead say they're going to use their iPhone, iPad, or Macbook. Always the Apple brand names. Go ahead and try not to notice this, it can't be done. It's always about status. And being obsessed with pointing out that they are using an Apple device is part of that status. It's why none of them care about the inferior quality and elevated price, because they are not going to be in if they don't have it. And to a lot of people that's all that matters even if they don't consciously realize it. It's a natural human impulse to gravitate towards accepting peer pressure to fit in and this is one such thing that's common for us now.

My own sister obsessively purchases the latest iterations of every kind of Apple portable device for every single member of her immediate family. Don't ask me how they can afford it because we have no idea and are assuming they can't and are simply building up massive debts. They also replace their cars and camper every couple years.

Wow, sounds very harsh, but I can't deny you're right, because I HAVE noticed that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom