• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Any other ocarina players out there?

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
My bf bought me an ocarina at the beginning of the year at I've been trying really hard to learn it. Problem I have is that the book that came with it gives you the basics but then focuses on the zelda songs which I struggle with. I've watched a few videos on YouTube with success-ish but don't really like having to watch the whole video to get to the practice part (if that makes sense) so I kind of wanted a book for quick reference.
Next issue is that there aren't that many books available for a 12 hole ocarina and one that I found was £65! So my question is..... Could I buy a recorder book but adapt it for the ocarina?

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
I think that the fingerings for ocarina are unique but I don't really know how to play mine (I'm in the same boat as you) so I couldnt say whether it would work. I guess it depends on how many holes your ocarina has.

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
It's more for the easy beginners tunes rather than the fingering I'm happy to use a chart for that

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
I know but when transposing a certain instrument's sheet music into anothers music, there are sometimes certain notes that you can't transpose because of the physical limitations of the instrument. For example, a 12 hole ocarina may not be able to hit all the notes that a 6 string guitar can hit. Anyways that's what I would think. So a recorder may not be able to play the same notes as an ocarina but, seeing as how the recorder is quite similar to an ocarina in many ways, it would probably work.

Nicolai

The beast that dwells within the Shoutbox
I can play ocarina, but I also play a billion other wind instruments, so it kinda came easy for me. What kinda difficulties are you having? I know one of the hard things about ocarina is making sure all of the holes are covered completely, especially since my ocarina is so dang small, and the holes are so close together.

As far as finding a book of another instrument to help out with you, it depends. My ocarina has a bass range similar to your average flute/recorder on the fundamental range, but the ocarina is unique in that you can't overblow to get a higher octave out of it. So you're pretty much with your octave and a half; at least, my ocarina is. Also, I've never consulted a fingering chart, so I'm not 100% sure where "C" is located on the ocarina... is it the lowest note, or is that G like on flutes?

If the bottom note is considered G like most flutes, then a recorder book should work for you, but may occasionally go too high. a Precorder also can't overblow, so a precorder book probably won't go too high, but it will probably be really easy and boring too.

You can probably also read music of basic melodies and songs for singers. Anthems and public domain melodies typically don't exceed an octave's range, and can probably fit in any ocarina's range.

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
What I'm finding difficult is that the book I have jumps straight into the zelda songs and some of them are too fast or complicated and I can't get the hang of it. I was hoping that using a recorder book that starts from the basics and builds it up would make it easier but the biggest difference I can see between the recroder and the ocarina is that recorder starts from the top note (only one hole covered) and works doen whereas the ocarina starts from the bottom and works up??

Nicolai

The beast that dwells within the Shoutbox
...the biggest difference I can see between the recroder and the ocarina is that recorder starts from the top note (only one hole covered) and works doen whereas the ocarina starts from the bottom and works up??
Not sure what you mean... do you mean the lessons teach you those notes in that order, or that an upwards scale on the recorder is played by lifting fingers one by one toward the mouth? The Ocarina's fingerset is horizontal, but the fingers are still lifted toward the left side of the instrument like a concert flute, and shouldn't make it any more difficult when reading recorder music. That's the case for any woodwind instrument, I think, with upwards scales lifting fingers toward the mouth.

But if you're looking for something more gradual, I'm sure a precorder book should be simple enough. And any book of simple melodies like Mary had a Little Lamb, London Bridge, and Ode to Joy; popular vocal tunes like Amazing Grace, Silent Night, and Swing Low Sweet Chariot; and national anthems, etc. are bound to be easier than Song of Storms, and stay well within range.

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
Yes sorry I didnt explain it well I meant the order the notes are taught in. I've honestly never heard of a precorder but will certainly look into it, thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom