• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

After BotW where can the series go?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I mean the game is pretty much the best entry the 3D zelda (and 2D) ever made as of now. Will Nintendo fall to sequel degradation or what, because I legitimately can't see what they can do differently.

PalaeoJoe

The Diplomatic Dinosaur
I don't know exactly and my next suggestion may not get us any closer to the answer.

Aonuma has stated that there are things he wanted to put in BotW but didn't have the time (and possibly resources) to put in this game. Which he is planing on putting in the next one. Some of these ideas I would guess would/will expand on what we have seen in BotW while other may just be other content.

Based on what I have playied these past two days, I agree that BotW is the best Zelda yet. The game is not perfect and their are things that could be changed a bit or improved upon. But I think that when I finish the story I will come to the conclusion that this game met all my expectations to the degree that it is fair to ask that they are met-Translation: This game will be the game I wanted it to be.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
As amazing and grand as BotW is, there's still plenty of room for improvement and many things they can do differently and still explore. Personally, I think it would be great for them to make another game similar to this one but in co-op as I'd imagine exploring a massive world like the one in Breath of the Wild would be even more fun with a friend or more.

Cartoonmaniac

Biggest Zelda fan this side of the South Pole
I like that each Zelda game tries something different that slightly deviates from the main formula. For example, Adventures of Link tried side-scrolling, Wind Waker tried sailing and cell-shading, and Breath of the Wild tried exploration and a focus on an open world. I hope the next Zelda game tries something similar to Breath of the Wild, goes back to its roots, or even tries something new, as long as it's still Zelda.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
They could do what they typically did and put out a couple "handheld" games, and then another console title, but the way the switch is, I don't know what they have planned.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I mean the game is pretty much the best entry the 3D zelda (and 2D) ever made as of now. Will Nintendo fall to sequel degradation or what, because I legitimately can't see what they can do differently.
I think this feels like the new Zelda. They haven't done anything differently for ages. OoT, MM, TWW, TP and SS (controls aside) all have the same general feel. Sorta like Final Fantasy did for ages. But this is now definitely the future. I think they could improve on plot related things. You know, you don't have to allow them to defeat Ganon from the beginning for the game to feel free. Some stories it just wouldn't work, and I want some traditional Zelda stories. The important thing is completing things in (roughly) any order and being able to go anywhere from the very beginning. If the final boss requires x amount of things to be done then I'm fine with that. And if the story is found out via progression as opposed to going to random locations and checking flashbacks that's great too. One gripe I have is this story is barebones as sweet ****. Would really enjoy something with a traditional Zelda's feel to it but the mechanics and freedom of BotW. More runes, bigger dungeons, there's a few things they could do next time and play around with it. But certainly the base of BotW is the future of Zelda and I think Nintendo genuinely feels they have finally surpassed the ghost that is Ocarina of Time.

MW7

I would want a similar style of game but with more full-length dungeons. Breath of the Wild is like a mix of Zelda 1 (full open world), Zelda II (lots of towns), and Majora's Mask (one major quest and dungeon for four main races as well as lots of sidequests). I'd want the next game to be more like A Link to the Past where it's still relatively open world but has a large dungeon count.

BotW is a good template for future games. This is how it should be done from then on. I guess they could go bigger and add in ocean or sea travel. But making a world too massive might not be a good idea.

In the mean time I would welcome new content into the world. I hope there is more than 1 DLC. This game could use more ancient dungeons, temples, labyrinths, and palaces.

As amazing and grand as BotW is, there's still plenty of room for improvement and many things they can do differently and still explore. Personally, I think it would be great for them to make another game similar to this one but in co-op as I'd imagine exploring a massive world like the one in Breath of the Wild would be even more fun with a friend or more.
Or Maybe a New 2-Player Co-op Game for the Switch; akin to 4 Swords, and Tri-force Heroes, But with ONLY 2 Players, since 2 Controllers ALREADY Come with the System, so Out-of-the-Box 2-player Games are Possible!!

I really love BotW. The only criticisms i have would only be defined as opinionated nitpicks, so if this is what 3D Zelda is for the next 15+ years, i'm gonna be fine with it.

I do think that future 3D Zelda games will now be all open world like BotW. BotW is that OoT style shift we had back in the late 90s that served the series perfectly well for a long time before it started to get stale.

So, if we accept that the next Zelda will be a massive open world game, what then can be changed from BotW? Will the game still be physics based? Is that what defines BotW more than its open world? Will we still be able to climb everything, thus making the world feel free? Will they keep the engine from BotW and simple create a new world in a new tine with new characters with new runes?

I really cant say. The BotW style is in its infancy with Zelda, its hard to grasp what it is Aonuma would want to do differently next time.

I dont want to see a multiplayer 3D home console Zelda. Multiplayer Zelda in my opinion has NEVER worked.

Defining BotW's identity. If its the physics or even the runes, will help us think of what could possibly come next. The runes are tied into the Sheikah Slate, would another game set in a different version of Hyrule at a different time be able to still use runes? Are runes how items will be used from now on or was this simply a once only thing for BotW? Its impossible to tell.

What i'd like to see is for the next Zelda to keep the BotW system; the open world, the runes, the freedom but have it all different. Much like how Wind Waker was different from OoT yet played very similarly.

For the world I'd like a thriving Hyrule. Show us a grand kingdom with tall spires, crowded market places, rich races and a sprawling landscape of mystery that is very much alive. Weve seen a destroyed Hyrule now let us see the definitive example of a golden age in a 3D game.

For the story, keep doing what theyre doing. Aonuma (if Shigsy stays out of it) can craft a wonderful Zelda story. Keep the option of doing as much or as little as you want. Have there be a story but dont have it be intrusive. BotW did this really well i think.

Gameplay, again I'm happy to play a 'refined botw' like what TP is to OoT, add things in, iron out those small kinks, give us everything we had and more in the next game. Dont do something wild like forced multiplayer.

I think the BotW style is here for quite some time, probably until the next shift in gaming like the third dimension, or the ability to craft worlds on such a large scale. And i'm happy to play a few more games similar to BotW for the next decade or so, so long as they keep enriching the franchise. I dont really need or want the next Zelda game to be another revolution, i'm happy with the next game just being an improvement on the one before.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Interesting question.

I think the beauty about the Zelda series is that it isn't exactly a boring linear direction of progression from title to title. Nintendo try and new different ways to play; some working better than others. I sill think top down Zelda has its place and I would love to see a game like A Link Between Worlds expanded to where the world is much bigger and complex with tons of dungeons, but still keeping that classic puzzle solving Zelda experience.

For the main series though. In the past I would have said experiment more, but experimenting is there for a reason: to find the right formula. I've been asking myself for years what the perfect Zelda formula is and I've never been sure. Some of these Zelda games are know. critical as the highest rated games of all time, yet it's what could be improved which seems to be the biggest debate. Now though, I think Breath of the Wild has captured what Zelda was always meant to be: an adventure game. I don't think I could have a new 3D Zelda with linear pathways and restricted access to the overworld anymore. I think now they should just aim for bigger and better.

Saying that though, there's multiple ways to advance:

- Increased focus on story.
- Evolve the game into more of an RPG.
- If the system is powerful enough, try to break boundaries with the visual world design.
- Integrate character and NPC intelligence on a massive scale - think Majora's Mask increased tenfold.
- Implement some form of customisation.
- Then of course there's always multiplayer and co-op.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
That dope as **** Zelda 1 Prototype they used for BotW and making it either a standalone game, or a Zelda maker would be pretty great....

Also, Hyrule invasions would be an interesting take on the BotW formula as well.

That dope as **** Zelda 1 Prototype they used for BotW and making it either a standalone game, or a Zelda maker would be pretty great....

Also, Hyrule invasions would be an interesting take on the BotW formula as well.

I cant shake the feeling that 'Invasion' idea is gonna be winter's DLC

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom