• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Art A World of Rusted Dreams

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Probably no one is interested, but in case anyone is, I have a novel I've been writing-experimenting with and putting up on my Deviant Art space. Everything is in rough stages for now, though I've edited the first few chapters a few times already. I've not ended it - I have a distant epilogue written up on my computer, but I need to bring the story from what I've done to there. Most of all, I appreciate constructive criticism for anyone with time on their hands, looking for something to read, willing and capable of giving me intelligent suggestions.

Now, to the specifics:

A World of Rusted Dreams is.... atypical fantasy, not "sword and sorcery," more "reflective/coming of age." In fact, on DA, I have it listed under "Philosophy and Perspectives" rather than the "Fantasy" category.

It is set in a land rendered largely empty by events that decimated the population (some 100 years before the story is set). In this world is a small town where people believe in celestially-appointed guardian-creatures that an individual can call for to protect them and guide them in life. First, one must believe that these creatures exist in order to be able to see/sense them. Second, in order to get one, one must call for one. Third, each Guardian's size and strength is an inverse reflection of the strength of the one who calls it.

Mira is a young girl who makes the call and gets a very large and powerful Guardian. With him, she decides to travel to their country's capitol city - a vibrant, bustling place where the majority of people do not believe in anything at all supernatural - Guardians or otherwise. Mira just wants to see what this city is like. Her best friend and his Guardian tag along.

This story plays with fun little Fantasy-genre, things, but it is also something of an allegory on faith - (not any particular faith, just "faith" in general), and has other themes such as difference, tolerance, accidental heroism and the prices of survival. If one or more of these themes are something you find annoying, skip this story. (I suspect "faith" might be the most problematic for some).

I am keeping it on DA because I have a little copyright notice there, also I am lazy and don't want to waste time posting volumes of flat-text here when probably no one is going to read any of it and respond, anyway.

The Gallery/Chapter Subpage

Artwork of Main Characters

Chapter 1

Chapter 2

Chapter 3

Chapter 4

Chapter 5

Chapter 6

Chapter 7

Chapter 8

Chapter 9

I have a Chapter 10 written up, unpolished. Trying to figure out the rest.

If anyone has anything to say - here or DA is fine, and you don't have to read the entire mess - if you read Chapter 1 and have something to say, don't be shy.

K

kareembromley

Shadsie, I'm starting to read you're novel... it's quite good in chapter one... try visiting amazon affiliate programs, they can teach you more knowledge in writing... :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom