• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Majora's Mask Theory

OGSniper

Sharpshooter for Hire
ZD Champion
SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

This Theory contains a small amount of Spoilers, so don't read if you haven't played Majora's Mask.
(Can't take any chances)

I don't know if someone else made a thread about this too, so I'm sorry if this is a duplicate.

It isn't really anything big or groundbreaking, but here we go.

In Majora's Mask, you obviously have the 4 Transformation Masks, that have the memories and emotions of their respected person. All of the 4 Transformation masks come from dead people, so I could call each by their ''inhabitants'' name -- Mikau's mask, Darmani's mask and so on. What I'm trying to get at is that little apostrophe in the words ''Majora's Mask''. The apostrophe is the symbol of ownership, so this led me to conclude that there was a guy named Majora that died or was transmorgified (not a real word) into a mask. He also could have possessed a mask. There could be some holes with my Theory, so I'm gonna go and brush up on the Majora's Mask story and lore. Let me know what you think about it or if there is anything disproving my Theory.

Last edited:

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
There's something somewhere about Majora's Mask being used by a cult that worshipped Majora. But in the final boss fight, Majora does basically come out of the mask, so you might be onto something.

EDIT: Just came to me, Skull Kid wearing the mask is what causes Majora to possess him fwiw.

There is the non-canon manga, where a dragon (I think) was defeated, then turned into the mask. Being non-canon, I doubt these exact events played out, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is some truth to the story.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Early on in the game the Happy Mask Salesman tells you that "Majora's Mask is an ancient, powerful artifact that was used by an ancient tribe for its bewitching rituals, but Majora's Mask's wicked power became so great that it was sealed away to prevent a great catastrophe. However, since the ancient tribe vanished, no one accurately knows the true nature of its power."
It's very open to interpretation what Majora really is

The first possiblity: done on purpose
  • The tribe made the mask, then made the spirit, Majora
  • Majora was sealed into the mask
  • The mask was then used in hexing rituals and dark magic stuff
  • Majora grew more powerful, or too powerful, as a result
  • The tribe then sealed the mask away out of fear

The second possibility: accidnet
  • The tribe made the mask, and used it for hexing rituals
  • Dark magic was sealed into the mask, or may have been unintentionally absorbed into it
  • All that magic and dark power formed into a spirit, Majora
  • Majora slowly grew more powerful and intelligent
  • The tribe realised this, grew fearful, then sealed the mask away

So, either Majora as an entity was created on purpose, or was an unintended result of their rituals.
Either way the result was the same and the mask was sealed away.

A crappy example of what could have happened.
1690384046809.png

Last edited:

OGSniper

Sharpshooter for Hire
ZD Champion

• Dark magic was sealed into the mask, or may have been unintentionally absorbed into it

So, either Majora as an entity was created on purpose, or was an unintended result of their rituals.

View attachment 71744

Totally agree with you. Another thing I have thought about to, is if the Happy Mask Salesman is a descendant to the ''Ancient tribe'', but I don't know if I could back that up.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
Totally agree with you. Another thing I have thought about to, is if the Happy Mask Salesman is a descendant to the ''Ancient tribe'', but I don't know if I could back that up.
hes kinda like i gotta protect the world from the mask my tribe made kinda thing going on??

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member

View attachment 71744
Or the tribe just found the mask somewhere. It's origins are never stated, so it may already have existed before the tribe got it

it has about as much truth as you're willing to give something that's explicitly non canon
Not much, but a little goes a long way. And, what part is true, without more connections to canon information, I wouldn't care to guess. That said, it basically functions, in my mind, like a licensed theory. Anything that is not contradicted in cannon is possible, and if we ever get new information, the useful parts of the theory get adjusted.

I'd say the mask gained its own sentience the same way the Fused Shadow/Mirror of Twilight shards have their own 'sentience', meaning Majora is a name of the dark power that became a figure, more than it would be referring to a character.
There's something somewhere about Majora's Mask being used by a cult that worshipped Majora. But in the final boss fight, Majora does basically come out of the mask, so you might be onto something.

EDIT: Just came to me, Skull Kid wearing the mask is what causes Majora to possess him fwiw.
Bringing up how "Majora" came out of the mask reminded me of the tentacle-monster from the Fused Shadow when Midna breaks the Hyrule Castle seal in TP. Majora's Incarnation and Wrath forming around the mask, not even using the face of the mask as part of its head, not originally being its own entity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom