• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

We all know The Legend of Zelda turned 25 in February... but what else was going on at the time?

February 1986

February 2 – One of Australia's worst crimes, the Anita Cobby murder, occurs.
February 3 – Pixar Animation Studios is opened.
February 7 – President Jean-Claude Duvalier ("Baby Doc") flees Haiti, ending 28 years of family rule.
February 9 – Halley's Comet reaches its perihelion, the closest point to the Sun, during its second visit to the solar system in the 20th Century.
February 11 – Human rights activist Anatoly Shcharansky is released by the Soviet Union and leaves the country.
February 15 – The Beechcraft Starship makes its maiden flight.
February 16
The Soviet liner Mikhail Lermontov sinks in the Marlborough Sounds, New Zealand.
The French Air Force raids the Libyan Ouadi Doum airbase in northern Chad.
February 17 – The Single European Act is signed.
February 19
The Soviet Union launches the Mir space station.
After waiting 37 years, the United States Senate approves a treaty outlawing genocide.
February 21 - The Legend of Zelda is released
February 25
People Power Revolution: President Ferdinand Marcos of the Philippines goes into exile in Hawaii after 20 years of rule; Corazon Aquino becomes the first Filipino woman president, first as an interim president. Salvador Laurel becomes her Vice President.
Egyptian military police, protesting against bad salaries, enter 4 luxury hotels near the pyramids, set fire to them and loot them.
February 26 – People Power Revolution in the Philippines.
February 27 – The United States Senate allows its debates to be televised on a trial basis.
February 28 – Swedish Prime Minister Olof Palme is assassinated on his way home from the cinema.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Some gaming related ones:

1. Metroid was released by Nintendo in Japan.

2. Arkanoid was released by Taito.

3. Dragon Quest was released in Japan.

4. Nintendo releases the Famicom Disk System in Japan.

5. Sega releases the Master System in the United States.

Here are some more technical ones:

1. The Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) is formed January 16, 1986.

2. IMAP is developed by Stanford University.

3. CD-i format is specified.

4. Microsoft is listed on the New York Stock Exchange selling shares to the public at $21 each, making Bill Gates one of the worlds youngest billionaires.

5. Eric Thomas develops the first Listserv.

The one thing that REALLY stands out from that year is the Challenger blowing up... I was pretty young but I remember being in Mega Foods parking lot and hearing about it on the radio with my Father.. I think I remember it because it saddened my Father..

Oh... I also remember Halley's Comet.. My Dad bought me a Matchbox car that said welcome back on it.. with a cartoony picture of a comet on the side when that was going on... I will sadly probably not live long enough to see it again in my life time I would be 81 in 2061 the next time it will be visible in the night sky... many of you will probably be around though... So make sure you make your kids and or grandchildren see it.. Maybe they will remember it like I do.

ZeldaOcarina

Princess of Hyrule
Oh... I also remember Halley's Comet.. My Dad bought me a Matchbox car that said welcome back on it.. with a cartoony picture of a comet on the side when that was going on... I will sadly probably not live long enough to see it again in my life time I would be 81 in 2061 the next time it will be visible in the night sky... many of you will probably be around though... So make sure you make your kids and or grandchildren see it.. Maybe they will remember it like I do.

I'll be sixty-nine, so hopefully I'll be able to see it! I'll make sure any kids/grandchildren I have will see it, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom