Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Do You Think of Flying the Loftwing?

AwardsItemsStats

Default What Do You Think of Flying the Loftwing?

So it appears that flying your loftwing is the main way of travelling from land to land in Skyward Sword. Link dives off the edge of somewhere, or warps with the sailcloth from a bird statue and whistles to summon his bird. During the ceremony where you have to catch the golden bird (which really reminded me of Quidditch) you are introduced properly to the flying controls. You have been told how to work them and you have to practise them by chasing the golden bird to win. The NPC's here are weak but the controls still took a while for me to grasp properly. I think the main thing I had a problem with at first was getting stuck in the bottom of the clouds and fog and the loftwing just sits there flapping and you can't get out. I've been known to not pay too much attention when Link is told about the controls, but sometimes they aren't explained too well. The idea is to tilt your remote to fly in different directions. Like Epona, the loftwing has three little icons representing boosts of speed. I don't find these very useful; they don't make you go very far or anything. I think the remote is a little too sensitive and you have to keep a steady hand at points. You have to shake the remote to swoop upwards in speed, but the way they instructed it at first confused me and I didn't really pick that up. But once I got hang of it I don't mind it that much but when you get into a circle of not being able to quite get where you want, you get stuck sometimes. That was only in the first few minutes and I got it later, but when Groose started throwing things at me I kept getting hit. >_< Despite this, I managed to get the golden bird in the end. My brother had the same problem with the loftwing getting stuck in the low clouds and fog though.

I like the idea of the flying being the main means of transport in this game, though. This is mainly because you are not constantly flying for long periods of time at a really slow speed. If you dive off the right bit of land, you can get to your destination quite quickly. It's not like Spirit Tracks, Phantom Hourglass or Wind Waker with extremely slow boats. I haven't played through the game yet though, so there may be areas that take more time to get to.

I love the general design and nature of these birds. The concept of diving off somewhere and whistling to summon your bird is quite unique and fun. The sailcloth is also quite a good idea, because your loftwing drops you from quite a height sometimes. But the sailcloth is won in the ceremony so I wonder how the others don't go splat when they land. xD But I think I expected flying of some kinds for Skyward Sword, because most other ways of getting around have been taken.

What do you think of the flying?

AwardsItemsStats

Well,it took me a while to get used to the controls, but it was the same thing with the sword.
    I still haven't beaten the game yet,but I think it's okay ...
    Tbh I didn't love it,but I didn't hate it either. It's okay,I just think it's a little complicated ...

Zelda Games I've beaten: Phantom Hourglass and that's it ...

AwardsItemsStats

Personally, I'm not all that into flying but the design of the Loftwing is absolutely fantastic. It's not that the controls are off, actually that is quite the opposite, it's just that I am accustomed to horse riding being the main means of transportation. I guess that was axed with the advent of sprinting, but whatever.

Flying around the Sky is a bit limited seeing as there are only a handful of islands to visit, but the mere sight is awe-inducing in my opinion. Oh, and Meego, I think the boosts do make you go pretty far. Not immediately, but the speed pickup gained by simply pressing A is wonderful. Useful for all sorts of things, be it traveling to the next zone or trying to chase off things within a thunderhead of clouds. (: All in all, flying is a great concept and the only thing I'd want more of is more islands.
    *Will Not Remove Until Another Zelda Title Scores 99/100 On Metacritic Or Higher, started November 21, 1998*
    Respect my pronouns: cheese/cake/cheesecakeself unless you know me very well then it's he/him/hisself! I am chocolatesexual and lucinasexual but never chocolatesexual. Call me cheesecakeself in past participle.
    <---My Alternate Personality Won This.
    Thanks so much for the votes, everyone! I really appreciate them [Too Strong]

Beta Males

Sometimes, being positive is the only thing left to do.

Link_Hyrule

I personally like the Loftwing far better than Epona for numerous reasons. The main reason being that it's much more fun to fly around than it is to just ride on a horse. I love the fact that I can jump off the ledge of skyloft, and whistle for my Loftwing to come and swoop me up. There is a slight learning curve with the control scheme, but I feel like it isn't steep.

I also enjoy flying downward and than swooping up to gain speed. I personally haven't missed Epona yet, but this might come with time.

TwilightFlame/HylianHero
    AwardsItemsStats

I was very excited for the flying element, but it's really hard for me to control. I had a ton of trouble when Zelda was trying to get me to use the sailcloth.

Join the Dark Slide! :D demonsxlr8's Avatar
    AwardsItemsStats

Personally i LOVE flying in the loftwing, it's like the best way of travel in any Zelda Game, i don't miss Epona at all! (Sorry Epona, but the big bird is... awesome)
    I find the controls really smooth and responsive, the only bad thing about flying is that there isn't many islands to explore, but i have fun just flying around xD

AwardsItemsStats

the flying controls are perfect for me, even though i would like to see epona back in the next game I defenetly want to see bird riding back in a future game as well

AwardsItemsStats

I'm still finding it to be incredibly frustrating.

The problem I have with it, is it's almost.....too responsive. Every little movement I make takes me in some different I don't want to go in, and I end up going around in endless circles because of that little movement. I dunno, it could just be me not being used to these controls yet, but I'm not the biggest fan of them so far.

And, besides, I had NO idea that you could raise your height by shaking the remote up and down. That screwed me up big time.
    f                                           u             
                                 c

I am Links older Brother! Links Brother's Avatar
    AwardsItemsStats

I've only just started to fly but so far it's smooth, fast, cool, and tons of fun. My only problem with the sky in general is the lack of things to do on the islands. It my take a bit of time to get from place to place but hey! It's better than Wind Waker
    You knew Link had a sister......but did you know he had a brother!!
    Top 5 games
    1) Majora's Mask
    2) Skyward Sword
    3) Ocarina of Time
    4) A Link to The Past
    5) Wind Waker
    Best Dungeon is Sandship
    Best Boss is Demise
    Best Item is Double Clawshot/Hookshot
    ZELDA LIVES ON!!

AwardsItemsStats

The controls are a bit awkward. I have to struggle to get my loftwing to fly exactly where I want it. This doesn't become much of a problem because of the wide expanses. You don't need to be accurate most of the time, so it is forgiving. The feel of it is great, the controls just need some tweaking to make it perfect.
    Copy this on to your sig if you have christ in your heart

The official Zelda timeline:
    ........................./--WW/PH--ST
    SS--MC--FS--OoT/MM--TP--FSA
    .....................\--LttP/OoX/LA--LoZ/AoL

AwardsItemsStats

I really enjoy flying. I like how much faster it is to get around, and the graphics and detail are amazing. I love doing it, but I love wind in the first place. I found the controls to be a little troublesome at first, but then I figured it out. I think that its a nice new way for transportation in Zelda.

Spoiler
    Looking for something to do? Visit the pumpkin island after slicing your first Goddess Cube. Be prepared to to work (if you break the chandileir that is )

AwardsItemsStats

I really had a hard time getting used to the controls, I agree, its too sensitive.

~Evil is pure~

AwardsItemsStats

I liked the controls. I personally liked what happened when you tried to talk to Groose after you win the Sailcloth.

NEVER FORGET HE'S AWESOME LinkIsAwesomest's Avatar
    AwardsItemsStats

Oh, flying is a BLAST!! I swear I could just fly around in circles going no where for an hour, and listen to the music, and look at the beautiful clouds, and yeeaahhh...

My FAVORITE thing to do is to go ALLL THE WWAYYY UPP, right up to the VERY TOP OF THE SKY, then DIIIIIVVVVEEEE!!!!

It's SO MUCH FUN!!

I HAVE NO PROBLEM AT ALL WITH CONTROLS!!

The getting sucked into teh clouds thing happend to me too, but guys, it's not Nintendo's fault or whatever, it's our fault. If you actually press 2 and read the help icons, they tell you exactly what to do. NOW FLYING IS THE MOST FUN EVER!!

I used to love Trihorse (aka Epona) but now I could just never go back
    LinkIsTheAwesomest

You guys might recognize my name because I comment on ZD articles a lot ................ or you might not. I don't know how popular I am. Oh well.

Here are my awesome words of awesome wisdom:
    Spoiler
    1. The word "link" is the best in the dictionary, followed by "awesome"
    2. Hating on TP, WW, Navi, and Tingle is not awesome
    3. Midna is the best sidekick Link has ever had, and she should be brought back along with the Twili/Twilight Realm
    4. Musical instruments are awesome and should continue to be important to the Zelda series (glad to know SS is doing this)
    5. Zelda is the best video game franchise EVER!! (but this is obvious)

PLEASE VISIT MY PUPPY'S YOUTUBE CHANNEL!! http://www.youtube.com/user/APuppyNa...p?feature=mhee I promise much more vids are coming soon!

NEVER FORGET THAT LINK IS THE AWESOMEST!! NEVER!!

AwardsItemsStats

It's amazing. At first, I didn't know how to raise my altitude by shaking the remote, but after that it's totally fine. I mean, I'm probably not very good at it in the first place. My poor bird probably would look like it had been through a cheese grater in reality. I always ram it into walls. I wish you could actually fly into the land below though, that would be cool. I'm hoping to get some combat on it eventually, I'm not yet far into the game, but from the little I've seen so far, it's awesome.

The music is generally entertaining, and the view is spectacular. It really is just peaceful riding your bird. There are not very many enemies from what I have seen so far, except for the occasional twister I've encountered. The controls feel good to me, a little finicky here and there, but generally they feel just fine. I don't even feel the need to re-calibrate often. I wish there were more islands however. In this point in time, it feels a little barren with only a few rocks here and there, or a single house on an isolated island. It seems kind of unlikely there would be only one city to support a civilization, oh well, maybe they don't have very many babies? I have yet to explore the boundaries of the sky, but it seems quite extensive. I look forward to seeing if the flying can become even more interactive.

Spoiler

"I watched them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom?"
    ليس هناك ما هو صحيح، فكل شيء مباح

|Tumblr|Graphics|Need Help?|

Spoiler

Quotes
    If you get up in the morning and wear a pair of shorts and a t-shirt and some flip-flops, its a signal that you might be going to the beach. If you get up in the morning and you wear a breast plate and a back plate and a cape and a pair of golden Satanic horns on your head, its quite clear that youre doing something else.
    -Tom Hiddleston on the effects of clothing
    For myself, for a long time... maybe I felt inauthentic or something, I felt like my voice wasn't worth hearing, and I think everyone's voice is worth hearing. So if you've got something to say, say it from the rooftops.
    -Tom Hiddleston
    But back to the wardrobe thing, it was very funny. There was a moment when I saw Chris Hemsworth being drilled into his costume because one of the discs on his breast-plate had fallen off and they literally had to get a power drill and drill it into his chest. And Mark Ruffalo great classical actor of his generation reduced to a Chinese chequerboard [wearing a black and white checked motion capture suit] and, yknow, Chris Evans and Scarlett flying the flag for spandex. And then there was me and my Rock Of Ages/Reindeer Games outfit. It was absolutely crazy.
    -Tom Hiddleston
    "Men must be free to do what they believe. It is not our right to punish one for thinking what they do, no matter how much we disagree!"
    ―Altar Ibn-La'Ahad
    "When I was a young man, I had liberty, but I did not see it. I had time, but I did not know it. And I had love, but I did not feel it. Many decades would pass before I understood the meaning of all three. Now, in the twilight of my life, misunderstanding has passed into contentment. Love, liberty, and time, once so disposable, are the fuels that drive me forward."
    ―Ezio Auditore da Firenze
    "There will come a day in which men no longer cheat each other. And on that day we will see what mankind is truly capable of."
    ―Giovanni Auditore da Firenze.
    "To say that nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile, and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say that everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
    -Ezio Auditore da Firenze
    Our life is made by the death of others.
    -Leonardo da Vinci
    The smallest feline is a masterpiece.
    -Leonardo da Vinci
    Funny Quotes
    [8:31:06 PM] Wyatt: HUUUUUUURGGHHHHHHHHHHHGGH
    [8:31:08 PM] Wyatt: HNGGGGGGGGGGG
    -- Wyatt on Math
    [26/07/2012 1:39:55 AM] Destiny: you can still hunt
    [26/07/2012 1:40:04 AM] Wyatt: we don't have guns or anything
    [26/07/2012 1:40:06 AM] Destiny: do you want me to teach you to make a snare lol
    [26/07/2012 1:40:11 AM] Wyatt: wtf
    [26/07/2012 1:40:13 AM] Wyatt: what is snare
    [26/07/2012 1:40:19 AM] Wyatt: why do you know these things
    [9:34:14 PM] LoZ: Well, well. The two most beautiful women on ZD are in the chat.
    [9:34:22 PM] Nicole: ;D
    [9:34:25 PM] Wyatt: d'awww thanks LoZ
    [9:34:26 PM] Destiny: oh you
    [9:34:28 PM] Nicole: HAHAHA
    [9:34:30 PM] Nicole: HAHAgfbadsbg
    [9:34:30 PM] Destiny: I HATE YOU WYATT
    [9:34:32 PM] Nicole: HAHAHgh
    [9:34:33 PM] Destiny: KILL YOURSELF!!
    2:45 PM Trio the Punch: Just tell Mases that the Turks suck and he'll give you the job
    2:45 PM Vanessa28: I don'[t even know if Mases is in it
    2:45 PM Random Person: I contacted Xin, she told me to contact Mases for that information
    2:45 PM Vanessa28: Nope this was created by Xinny
    2:44 PM Ganondork: Maybe he'll let you manage the account then
    2:44 PM Vanessa28: Well Xinny didn't give anybody else admin privileges so it can't be taken over?
    2:44 PM Ganondork: Call Mases pretty
    1:57 AM LegendOfZelda They say there's only one way to destroy ZD. You must cast Mases Hagopian in the fires of Mount Doom.
    [5:49:37 PM] Locke: At least 6 large black men think I'm a person.
    [2:31:49 PM] Nicole: my dogs are barking I think there's a rapist
    [2:31:28 PM] Destiny: get the knife
    [2:31:49 PM] Nicole: I haven't showered since yesterday rapist would not enjoy
    [12:28:32 PM] Mother Helen the Bearded Nun: Hello, and welcome to the news with Arkvoodle.
    [12:28:47 PM] Mother Helen the Bearded Nun: Today, a young canadian girl was arrested for the attempted kidnapping of over 500 Alpacas.
    [12:29:14 PM] Mother Helen the Bearded Nun: The Alpacas were owned by a local farmer who could not comment on the situation in question as he was "Busy with his bros in the bureau"
    [12:29:59 PM] Mother Helen the Bearded Nun: The female, who cannot be named due to legal restrictions, was motivated to kidnap the alpacas by the sheer fact that "THEY SO FUZZY AND ADORABLE", and ended with the scream of a long dead animal known as a pterodactyl.
    [12:30:32 PM] Mother Helen the Bearded Nun: After resisting arrest, the female managed to break free and climb onto a nearby roof. From there she escaped into the forest and is still at large.
    [12:30:52 PM] Mother Helen the Bearded Nun: Anyone with information on the girl's wherabouts can call local police on the number shown on the bottom of the screen.
    [12:31:26 PM] Djinn: this story is scary
    [12:31:37 PM] Destiny: I love this story
    [12:31:51 PM] Mother Helen the Bearded Nun: The female is about 3ft, with long blonde hair that trails behind her. She has blue eyes and is most likely dressed in assassin gear. She enjoys eating air and is known to be a master of the pterodactyl scream. It is advised that she is approached with caution.
    [12:32:00 PM] Wyatt: good thing we don't know any small, young Canadian girls
    [12:32:04 PM] Destiny: good thing
    [12:32:15 PM] Mother Helen the Bearded Nun: Moving on now. We go to our local correspondant Laquisha Poofpango who is on the scene right now. Laquisha, what can you tell us?
    [12:32:29 PM] Wyatt: Laquisha got ate
    [12:32:40 PM] Mother Helen the Bearded Nun: **** be up in my crunk gurl. There be po-lice errywhere and damn ***** I be seruslay trippin
    [12:32:45 PM] Mother Helen the Bearded Nun: Thank you Laquisha.
    [12:33:25 PM] Mother Helen the Bearded Nun: Well, we're just out of time here folks. This concludes our broadcast for the evening. Join us again at 9 for our hour long special on the ravenous canadian wilds. I'm Arkvoodle. Happy hunting.
    [12:33:30 PM] Mother Helen the Bearded Nun: BA BA BA BA DOO DOO
    [7:53:03 PM] Dan: Locke once locked me in a cage and whipped me until I respected him
    [1:35 AM] PK Flash: I like to piss all over the toilet seat.
    [8:34:15 PM] Djinn: you in the bathroom, not thinking anything is wrong, then Bam! Destiny from behind!!!
    [1:34:04 PM] Keith: Destiny twerks during the Canadian national anthem
    12:00 AM <Kybyrian> I'll make you swallow it
    [8:54:02 PM] Keith: Please don't whip me
    [8:54:08 PM] Travis Haile-Awesome: Please whip me
    [8:54:19 PM] Locke: Locke whips Travis and hates Keith
    [8:54:23 PM] Keith: I didn't mean nothin by it, master