Thread: Are the Sages Dead?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Gold

Default Are the Sages Dead?

The sages in ocarina of time all have a similar story before becoming a sage; they go into a temple, you might see them somewhere, and then you never see them again. Saria was plain never seen, Darunia disappeared after trying to fight Volvagia, Ruto disappeared after swimming someplace, Impa went into the shadow temple to track down Bongo-Bongo, and you saw Nabooru get zapped by Twinrova right infront of Link. Basically what I'm trying to say is... are the sages dead? And is that why they can't leave their respective temples for too long?
    Thanks to OotLord1003 for the amazing sig!
    ====
    My Dragons

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Gold

I will say NO!. Why? because the sages are the protector of the sacred realm, so it's so impossible that the sages are already dead.

Here are some proof.

1. After princess ruto swim in some place there is no enemy tracking behind her.
    2. If the sages are already dead, where's the remains of their body?
    3. If you will going to analyze the game very deeply the lights of the sacred realm are protecting the sages against the dark powers.

Proud To Be A Philippine (Filipino) Citizen

Post Thanks / Like
    Gold

Yes and No. There's two theories I have. One is that they're immortal, and the other is where they're mortal.
    1) My immortal theory is that I think they're still hanging out in the Temple of Light, waiting for another reincarnation of Link to ask for help. And my mortal theory is that:
    2) mabey they went on to be Sages in towns, like in the Adventure of Link, 6 out of the 8(?) towns were named after the Sages in OoT. And they lived great lifes, did great things, and then died happily in their warm bed, reminicing in what great lifes they had.
    So, if they're immortal, they're not dead, and
    if they're mortal, they're dead by the events in the most recent game, Spirit Tracks, because ST took place 100 years after PH, which took place about a year after WW, which took place 100 years after OoT?

Anyway, what sums that up is
    Yes
    and
    No.

"Without Wisdom and Courage, Power cannot be upheld."
    ~Hero of Hyrule

Uncompleted, 100% Completed, Completed, Three-Heart Challenges
    LoZ|AoL|ALttP|LA|OoT (MQ)|MM|OoS|OoA|FS|WW|FSA|MC|TP|PH|ST|SS(HM)|

Three Timeline Split?

I think my brain imploded a little....

Sage of Tales
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Gold
    Items Persian
    Gift Showcase

I think that there is no definitive answer to this - I believe that there are good arguments either way.

Personally, I'm using the "must die to be awakened" as a concept in my currently in-progress fanfic, The Rise of Evil. I just wrote chapter four, in which Ganondorf, in his quest to be evil rising faces the Sage of Forest (an original character for the story - since it's set in a made-up, non-canon era meant to be somewhere in the "gap" between some of the canon games). This whole "death to be awakened" came up for my Forest Sage.

In canon...

I think there's a lot of evidence for it in Ocarina of Time. As said, every Sage went into their respective temple to acertain what was wrong and/or to fight the monsters within. Considering how grueling those places were for the Master Sword-wielding Chosen Hero, and the fact that he encounters them in something of a mystic state, it makes perfect sense that in order for Link to "awaken" them, and for them to give him their full power, they'd been killed by the beasts of the temples. As far as remains go - well, the bosses of those temples *are* monsters. Can we say... burp? (Okay, so maybe Koume and Kotake would have just incinerated Nabooru or something, but still..) I think good evidence is also given by the fact that Rauru is as he is. I recall him telling Link something along the lines of his body having long decayed away while he remains in the Chamber of Sages. (Is this just in the manga or in the game? I haven't played OoT in a while). They also seem to be represented by motes of colored light and have other spooky, spirit-type properties.

However, in The Wind Waker, the Sages of Earth and Wind seem to be *powerless* because they are dead and in need of specifically *living* Sages to take their place. -- Perhaps this serves to refute the "Sages are dead" in OoT entirely, or, perhaps, the Wind Waker age simply had different rules regarding the Sages, in need of "living" powers rather than "dead" powers to charge the Master Sword.

It is an enduring mystery.

Dud-a-Chum?

I remember getting a sinking feeling in my heart when I found out Saria ended up being one. So, somewhere inside I must have assumed she was somehow dead or 'trapped'. In any case, I never perceived being a sage as a good thing for the sages themselves. I actually think they might be immortal, though. But in order to become immortal . . . maybe they had to die first? I honestly don't know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gold

I never understood the reasoning to why the sages had to be dead for them to exhibit their powers. Here's something I posted in regards to a similar topic:

Quote Originally Posted by DuckNoises
    It's nothing fancy at all; here is the most appropriate definition for awakening:
    "A recognition, realization, or coming into awareness of something." Essentially, Saria is a sage but she doesn't know it; she has a revelation when Link completes the Forest Temple and she realizes that she must now take on the duty of a sage. She was a "dormant" sage, not displaying sage-like traits, until her awakening after Link completed the Forest Temple. The Forest Medallion is a physical manifestation of her new-found power as a sage.
    I don't think she dies or stays in the Sacred Realm permanently at all; in fact, if I recall correctly, Saria just sits outside the Forest Temple after she's given you the Forest Medallion.
    I assume that all the other sages work in a similar fashion; they all appear again outside of the Sacred Realm, which seems to imply to me that they still exist outside and independent of the Sacred Realm.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadsie View Post
    However, in The Wind Waker, the Sages of Earth and Wind seem to be *powerless* because they are dead and in need of specifically *living* Sages to take their place. -- Perhaps this serves to refute the "Sages are dead" in OoT entirely, or, perhaps, the Wind Waker age simply had different rules regarding the Sages, in need of "living" powers rather than "dead" powers to charge the Master Sword.
    I think there are just new Sages for every new generation of Hero; the role of a sage is one that requires a successor, hence why a new one is required every time there is a new Hero, because the previous sages have likely since died. It seems that each Hero has their own respective individuals related to their lives who are destined to become Sages; this is why I figure that all the Sages are friends of Link who are integral to the main plot of the game.
    Last edited by DuckNoises; 09-21-2010 at 11:03 PM.
    ................./--TWW/PH--ST
    (SS)--OoT
    .................\MM--TP--TMC--FS/FSA--ALttP/OoX/LA--LoZ/AoL

Quote Originally Posted by Hanyou
    How can a game get worse with time? It's not like perishable food.

Ask Me Why I Love The Photoshops
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gold

I think that the sages are dead. I think that when you see them as Adult Link, it is their spirits roaming free before they are rescued from the temple that they are stuck in. I truly believe that everyone one of the sages were trying to be the hero, since Link had been sleeping for seven years. This of course is excluding Saria I think that she was worried and concerned as to where Link was, so she went looking for him.

In regard to where their body remains might be, I can only come up with two possible theories. One, their body and bones decayed and disenegrated into dust (due to being in the open air) during the period of seven years. Two, their bodies just faded away as soon as their souls awakened as a sage.

Now, this may seem a little stupid, but I am literally going to disagree with everything I just said. I honestly think that there are multiple possibilities and scenarios explaining how the sages became sages and what happened to them. If there is the slightest possibility that they didn't die in that seven year period, then there is a simple explanation that I think is possible. I think that from the day that each every one of the sages were born, they were already sages. I think that just like Link, at a certain point in their lives they would be awakened as the sages that they are. If this were the case, then it would explain why the sages were already in the temples when you arrived there. Also, I think that maybe they got lost in there, since they probably felt like that had to be there, deep inside their souls.
    Last edited by LozzyKate; 09-23-2010 at 07:51 PM.

This signature banner was made by me!

I am a Person of Interest PhantomTriforce's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Gold

I did think about this, and it is possible. And Rauru probably died from old age. But Zelda, the leader sage, is still alive. Perhaps she only needs the power of the sages.

Twilight Princess = Favorite, A Link to the Past = Best

Favorite Zelda Order: Twilight Princess > A Link to the Past > Ocarina of Time > Oracle of Ages > Oracle of Seasons > Skyward Sword > The Wind Waker > Majora's Mask > The Minish Cap > Phantom Hourglass > Spirit Tracks > Link's Awakening > Legend of Zelda > Adventure of Link

Spoiler

Post Thanks / Like
    Gold

If you think that OoA comes after OoT then the sages may still live, we see darunia leading gorons in labrynna
    If you have Christ in your heart copy this into your sig

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Gold

Quote Originally Posted by figthersword View Post
    I will say NO!. Why? because the sages are the protector of the sacred realm, so it's so impossible that the sages are already dead.

Here are some proof.

1. After princess ruto swim in some place there is no enemy tracking behind her.
    2. If the sages are already dead, where's the remains of their body?
    3. If you will going to analyze the game very deeply the lights of the sacred realm are protecting the sages against the dark powers.
    Well first of all the Sacred Realm exists out of time and space. Their spiritual forms could still be there.

How do you know Princess Ruto is being folowed by an enemy? Link encounters tons of enemys when he goes into the water temple. Ruto could have easily been killed.

Do you see the kings remains? Do you see the remains of the dead Gorons? Of course not, I doubt they would show you their remains.

The lights could have only protected their spiritual form, not their physical, And what are the Lights anyway? Proof that they exist?

Spoiler

"I watched them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom?"
    ليس هناك ما هو صحيح، فكل شيء مباح

|Tumblr|Graphics|Need Help?|

Spoiler

Quotes
    If you get up in the morning and wear a pair of shorts and a t-shirt and some flip-flops, its a signal that you might be going to the beach. If you get up in the morning and you wear a breast plate and a back plate and a cape and a pair of golden Satanic horns on your head, its quite clear that youre doing something else.
    -Tom Hiddleston on the effects of clothing
    For myself, for a long time... maybe I felt inauthentic or something, I felt like my voice wasn't worth hearing, and I think everyone's voice is worth hearing. So if you've got something to say, say it from the rooftops.
    -Tom Hiddleston
    But back to the wardrobe thing, it was very funny. There was a moment when I saw Chris Hemsworth being drilled into his costume because one of the discs on his breast-plate had fallen off and they literally had to get a power drill and drill it into his chest. And Mark Ruffalo great classical actor of his generation reduced to a Chinese chequerboard [wearing a black and white checked motion capture suit] and, yknow, Chris Evans and Scarlett flying the flag for spandex. And then there was me and my Rock Of Ages/Reindeer Games outfit. It was absolutely crazy.
    -Tom Hiddleston
    "Men must be free to do what they believe. It is not our right to punish one for thinking what they do, no matter how much we disagree!"
    ―Altar Ibn-La'Ahad
    "When I was a young man, I had liberty, but I did not see it. I had time, but I did not know it. And I had love, but I did not feel it. Many decades would pass before I understood the meaning of all three. Now, in the twilight of my life, misunderstanding has passed into contentment. Love, liberty, and time, once so disposable, are the fuels that drive me forward."
    ―Ezio Auditore da Firenze
    "There will come a day in which men no longer cheat each other. And on that day we will see what mankind is truly capable of."
    ―Giovanni Auditore da Firenze.
    "To say that nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile, and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say that everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
    -Ezio Auditore da Firenze
    Our life is made by the death of others.
    -Leonardo da Vinci
    The smallest feline is a masterpiece.
    -Leonardo da Vinci
    Funny Quotes
    [8:31:06 PM] Wyatt: HUUUUUUURGGHHHHHHHHHHHGGH
    [8:31:08 PM] Wyatt: HNGGGGGGGGGGG
    -- Wyatt on Math
    [26/07/2012 1:39:55 AM] Destiny: you can still hunt
    [26/07/2012 1:40:04 AM] Wyatt: we don't have guns or anything
    [26/07/2012 1:40:06 AM] Destiny: do you want me to teach you to make a snare lol
    [26/07/2012 1:40:11 AM] Wyatt: wtf
    [26/07/2012 1:40:13 AM] Wyatt: what is snare
    [26/07/2012 1:40:19 AM] Wyatt: why do you know these things
    [9:34:14 PM] LoZ: Well, well. The two most beautiful women on ZD are in the chat.
    [9:34:22 PM] Nicole: ;D
    [9:34:25 PM] Wyatt: d'awww thanks LoZ
    [9:34:26 PM] Destiny: oh you
    [9:34:28 PM] Nicole: HAHAHA
    [9:34:30 PM] Nicole: HAHAgfbadsbg
    [9:34:30 PM] Destiny: I HATE YOU WYATT
    [9:34:32 PM] Nicole: HAHAHgh
    [9:34:33 PM] Destiny: KILL YOURSELF!!
    2:45 PM Trio the Punch: Just tell Mases that the Turks suck and he'll give you the job
    2:45 PM Vanessa28: I don'[t even know if Mases is in it
    2:45 PM Random Person: I contacted Xin, she told me to contact Mases for that information
    2:45 PM Vanessa28: Nope this was created by Xinny
    2:44 PM Ganondork: Maybe he'll let you manage the account then
    2:44 PM Vanessa28: Well Xinny didn't give anybody else admin privileges so it can't be taken over?
    2:44 PM Ganondork: Call Mases pretty
    1:57 AM LegendOfZelda They say there's only one way to destroy ZD. You must cast Mases Hagopian in the fires of Mount Doom.
    [5:49:37 PM] Locke: At least 6 large black men think I'm a person.
    [2:31:49 PM] Nicole: my dogs are barking I think there's a rapist
    [2:31:28 PM] Destiny: get the knife
    [2:31:49 PM] Nicole: I haven't showered since yesterday rapist would not enjoy
    [12:28:32 PM] Mother Helen the Bearded Nun: Hello, and welcome to the news with Arkvoodle.
    [12:28:47 PM] Mother Helen the Bearded Nun: Today, a young canadian girl was arrested for the attempted kidnapping of over 500 Alpacas.
    [12:29:14 PM] Mother Helen the Bearded Nun: The Alpacas were owned by a local farmer who could not comment on the situation in question as he was "Busy with his bros in the bureau"
    [12:29:59 PM] Mother Helen the Bearded Nun: The female, who cannot be named due to legal restrictions, was motivated to kidnap the alpacas by the sheer fact that "THEY SO FUZZY AND ADORABLE", and ended with the scream of a long dead animal known as a pterodactyl.
    [12:30:32 PM] Mother Helen the Bearded Nun: After resisting arrest, the female managed to break free and climb onto a nearby roof. From there she escaped into the forest and is still at large.
    [12:30:52 PM] Mother Helen the Bearded Nun: Anyone with information on the girl's wherabouts can call local police on the number shown on the bottom of the screen.
    [12:31:26 PM] Djinn: this story is scary
    [12:31:37 PM] Destiny: I love this story
    [12:31:51 PM] Mother Helen the Bearded Nun: The female is about 3ft, with long blonde hair that trails behind her. She has blue eyes and is most likely dressed in assassin gear. She enjoys eating air and is known to be a master of the pterodactyl scream. It is advised that she is approached with caution.
    [12:32:00 PM] Wyatt: good thing we don't know any small, young Canadian girls
    [12:32:04 PM] Destiny: good thing
    [12:32:15 PM] Mother Helen the Bearded Nun: Moving on now. We go to our local correspondant Laquisha Poofpango who is on the scene right now. Laquisha, what can you tell us?
    [12:32:29 PM] Wyatt: Laquisha got ate
    [12:32:40 PM] Mother Helen the Bearded Nun: **** be up in my crunk gurl. There be po-lice errywhere and damn ***** I be seruslay trippin
    [12:32:45 PM] Mother Helen the Bearded Nun: Thank you Laquisha.
    [12:33:25 PM] Mother Helen the Bearded Nun: Well, we're just out of time here folks. This concludes our broadcast for the evening. Join us again at 9 for our hour long special on the ravenous canadian wilds. I'm Arkvoodle. Happy hunting.
    [12:33:30 PM] Mother Helen the Bearded Nun: BA BA BA BA DOO DOO
    [7:53:03 PM] Dan: Locke once locked me in a cage and whipped me until I respected him
    [1:35 AM] PK Flash: I like to piss all over the toilet seat.
    [8:34:15 PM] Djinn: you in the bathroom, not thinking anything is wrong, then Bam! Destiny from behind!!!
    [1:34:04 PM] Keith: Destiny twerks during the Canadian national anthem
    12:00 AM <Kybyrian> I'll make you swallow it
    [8:54:02 PM] Keith: Please don't whip me
    [8:54:08 PM] Travis Haile-Awesome: Please whip me
    [8:54:19 PM] Locke: Locke whips Travis and hates Keith
    [8:54:23 PM] Keith: I didn't mean nothin by it, master

Post Thanks / Like
    Gold

You make a lot of sence!! maybe they really are just cute ghosts floating around in the sacred realm!!!
    Ahem.. "All Hail Ganondorf!!!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Gold

Thank you for responding. I can understand that some of you do not believe that they are dead, but... fightersword... that response was... violent... But I know that some people ridicule somethings while others support them, for example, I don't believe the Ritos evolved into Zoras... though I do believe that there are connections. If anyone else has any ideas, feel free to say them. Thanks again to all the people who liked my theory
    Thanks to OotLord1003 for the amazing sig!
    ====
    My Dragons

Why So Serious?
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gold

It's an interesting question, and a hard one to answer, but personally, I don't believe that they died. It's mysterious that after we first see each Sage in their respective temples, that they just disappear and are not seen until Link destroys the evil that has trapped them within their temples...

I personally believe that it's quite likely that once each Sage attempts to defeat the evil within their temple, they are defeated and are trapped within the temple in a forced unconcious state and remain so until the evil is defeated by Link. It's quite a good explanation for why the Sages just disappear for no reason.

I don't believe that the Sages die though, because unless it's their spirit that ends up being sent to the Sacred Realm, how would they be able to pass on their power/symbol down to Link through the Medallions? It just seems a little weird that they can just die and still have so much power, and still be in a form of Limbo. The theory of them of the Sages dieing is still a decent theory if you add the idea that their spirits are released by the evil from within their temples when the evil is defeated.

Either way though, I believe the my own theory, and I like it, so I'll stick with that until it's proven wrong.

ಠ_ಠ mr. Observant ikilltoonlink's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Chiraku View Post
    The sages in ocarina of time all have a similar story before becoming a sage; they go into a temple, you might see them somewhere, and then you never see them again. Saria was plain never seen, Darunia disappeared after trying to fight Volvagia, Ruto disappeared after swimming someplace, Impa went into the shadow temple to track down Bongo-Bongo, and you saw Nabooru get zapped by Twinrova right infront of Link. Basically what I'm trying to say is... are the sages dead? And is that why they can't leave their respective temples for too long?
    ummm no because at the end of oot you see them. there still breathing arint they (well i gess there in the sacred realm). but i think there like overseers they look down on hirule and watch the people. there kinda like guardians you know?

Thanks to the green for this sig!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!ONE!!!one!!!1!!

games I have finished: OoT AoL
    games I want to play: TP SS OoS Ooa Oot3DS
    games Im working on: Oot 3 heart challenge Oot 100%
    Thats right Im doing 2 different Oots at the same time XD