• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

ZD Forums - Zelda Dungeon Forums

OGSniper
OGSniper
Wow. Very nice.

I actually have an aunt that lives in SD. She lives in Miller, I think. Me and my family went up to visit her back in 2013.
Hyrulian Hero
Hyrulian Hero
Heck yeah dude, it's a great state! I couldn't live out Miller way though, I grew up in Oregon so I have to live up in the hills where there are trees or I'll get all agoraphobic!
OGSniper
OGSniper
Now that I think about it, it has been ten years since we went. Gawd, I gotta visit some time.
Link&Midna
Link&Midna
You hunt deer with a bow?? Raw.
Gonna have a freezer full of Venison this winter, huh?
Chevywolf30
Chevywolf30
Dang you're out here doing the hunting speedrun. Does that 45 minutes include the time it takes to get to your stand? How long is that?
Hyrulian Hero
Hyrulian Hero
Lol, stand?! Dude, I won't use a stand until my legs quit on me at sixty something! It was a perfect hunt actually, I commute 45 minutes to and from work and it's getting dark just before five now so I've got to take advantage of what little light I have. I got off work at 3:30 and got back to my place by 4:10, the headed out to the closest national forest access I can get at (four minutes away). I've been seeing a few decent bucks in town and the field just below my house is PACKED with white tail most evenings so I says, "Maybe there's still a few up on the edges of the woods." I parked, jumped the 1880's historical tracks and only hooked ten minutes before I saw the thing. I saw him before he saw me but he was 95 yards out and I'm only pinned out to 40 (don't make fun, I'm still not the best shot) ( ( o )^) so I couldn't take the shot. He looked like he was going to continue side-hill on his trail across the draw so I couldn't even try waiting for him to head my way, I had to try to stalk in.

Very little underbrush here so I didn't get far before he spotted me. I spent the next five minutes making a zig-zag pattern back and forth toward him and was blessed that he didn't move fast or far considering I was slow, measured, and not moving directly at him. Finally, I got to 47 yards and didn't think I could get any closer without spooking him. He tensed and I drew, aiming below my lowest bead (set at 40 yards). Since I was guessing and haven't practiced shooting beyond 40, I was extra careful (perhaps a little too much) not to gut shot him. I heard a solid hit but guessed it was probably the stump just behind him since he only ran off about twenty yards uphill like he was unworried. I headed to the dump and searched around for my arrow and a possible blood pattern but couldn't find anything.

After about thirty seconds of looking, I took now off where the stump was so I could retrieve my arrow and strapped uphill to get level with the buck as he had moved side-hill another twenty yards. He seemed a little too calm for having seen me bust up to find my arrow. I couldn't get another good shot because he was skylined (noob tip: never shoot over a hill) but as I continued up and around, I saw him go over and got that rush. I nailed him right in the jugular so he bled out quick and zero meat was damaged! Great freakin' hunt although I also pulled a rifle tag which expires in five days and I don't think I'm even going to be able to go out for it. Still, a successful season and yes, a freezer full of meat. It never fails to impress me how human you feel when you have to get elbow deep in a deer's warm body cavity, slice through the diaphragm, grab the esophagus, and separate it from the meat you're going to enjoy that year. Few things in this world feel more basic than acquainting oneself with the source of your sustenance.
Top Bottom