• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

FISHING!!!

Okay, so I have beaten Ocarina of Time (3D, mostly) over a dozen times. I enjoy it enough, and have gotten pretty good at it. However, I hate 100%ing it. (My 100% playthroughs compared to any% are about 1:3) Many people would say that a dungeon like the Water Temple, Forest Temple, or Ganon's Tower would be the hardest part of that game. But I would say the Water Temple's neighbor, the Fishing Hole, is the worst part. If you go there and catch the biggest fish, as you probably know, you get a heart piece as a child, or a golden scale as an adult. But catching the biggest fish is an ordeal in and of itself! I'm pretty sure the fish have some sort of stubborn AI, and I can't find a trick to catching the big one. It can take me anywhere from 3 minutes for a visit to an hour or more. This is bar none my least favorite part of Ocarina of Time, and I was wondering what other people thought about it.

There is a fishing hole in Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask 3D. But they are both optional, except for an incredibly easy heart piece and bottle in TP. Feel free to talk about those too, though.

Oh, those. I used to avoid them like the pest but have grown to kinda like it after just stumbling upon the Hylian Loach in Ocarina without trying and feeling special about it. I have still yet to catch most of the fish in Majora's Mask 3D and have never done any fishing beyond what's required in Twilight Princess though.

As for 100%ing Ocarina, I hate that for way different reasons.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Easiest trick is there is a dirty great log in the center of the pond, this is where big fish congregate, (easy to get a 20 pound one as adult), remember this log. You need both Iron Boots and blue zora tunic then go to the back of the pond and equip them, walk slowly into the water til you can't cast back up just enough so you can (this shortens the drag range of catching) then cast towards the center, it will be tough but short, i was never quite sure when the fish pulls are you meant to go with it or against it, but i found going against lost me the fish more than going with so that's what i did, I generally got both needed fish as kid and adult within 10 mins as a kid and 15 as an adult.

I still haven't found the swamp fishing hole, i found the one in great bay and damn does it cost time

Linkmaster30000

Aim for the knee
I have mixed feelings about fishing.

In LA, there was a tiny fishing game that was ridiculously easy. Still kinda fun, though.

In OoT, I don't mind it all that much aside from the golden scale, which, as stated, is kind of a pain because it keeps breaking the line. I always do catch it, but it is probably the second most annoying part for me (Big Poe hunting is my least favorite, but mostly because I keep forgetting where all of them are).

In MM3D, it's... okay. I've only done it once, so I don't really have a good grasp on it, but I remember wondering why I'm doing it since I get nothing for it. I do remember getting all of them, but not really enjoying the time it takes to get them all.

In TP, I really enjoyed fishing (except for getting the Frog Lure). I'm not sure what made it different, but I liked catching everything.

Phantom Hourglass was a bit confusing, but rather entertaining once you learned how everything worked.

It's pretty easy for me. Also, sorry to burst your bubble, but if you're going for 100%, fishing in MM and TP are definitely required.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
It's pretty easy for me. Also, sorry to burst your bubble, but if you're going for 100%, fishing in MM and TP are definitely required.
]

Define your definition of 100%, my own doesn't include those fishing holes (at least for MM) because it never existed in the original. And TP's Fishing Hole i would say isn't mandatory because by your definition only those who have completed all levels of RollGoal can call it 100%, that resides in the Fishing Hole ^^

My definition of 100% is everything unlockable. Of course, that is a pretty shaky standard; for example, let's say this: I don't consider 2k for the Gerudo Archery mini game necessary; however, I DO consider getting every chest and every type of possible unlockable necessary, such as the fat cucco and the Master Rank from Orca.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom