• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Manga Discussion (Spoilers)

WhyBuffet

The Hero of Wind
Okay so I have a theory... It is based entirely on speculation and has zero circumstantial evidence from either the anime or the manga... But the more I piled onto the theory the more it made sense in my head, at least. So, I thought I'd share it here. Be advised that said theory will contain spoilers.

So I was just making dinner when I said to myself as a joke, "What if Ymir's last name is Jaeger?" But the more I thought about it, the more it kind of made sense.
The only two people in the series thus far that weren't given last names right away were Levi and Ymir. We eventually got Levi's last name, and why was that kept a secret for so long? Because his last name is the recognizable Ackerman. What if Ymir's last name is still a secret because it's the recognizable Jaeger?

In Ilse's Notebook, that Titan says "Ymir-sama, Ymir's people," which could imply that Ymir was some kind of royalty. As we all know, it is stated that only royalty can utilize the full power of the Coordinate, and Eren (while not having mastered the Coordinate so far) has shown that he is at least able to utilize it somewhat.

Eren's father came from beyond the walls, so it's not like it's absolutely absurd to think that they might be related somehow.

Okay, it most certainly is absurd to think, and the theory is probably a load of garbage.

But I just thought it was neat that a lot of these little things meshed together.

ALL the yeses to your theory!

For me the kicker is the relation between her Titan, Eren's and the Beast Titan :P I really wanna copy and paste our convo on ur profile!!!

For a while I had a theory that the Beast Titan was in fact Erwin's Dad because he looks a decent bit like him, HOWEVER, i'm far more convinced by the idea it's Eren's great great great Grandfather because of the coordinate thing, as well as the fact Eren, his Father AND the Beast titan, all have pointy ears!! Which no other titans do

WhyBuffet

The Hero of Wind
That's a good point though... About the Beast Titan being Erwin's dad I mean...
It would explain how the Beast Titan was able to slip into Wall Rose seemingly undetected...
It is all dependent on how long humanity has had 3D Maneuvering Gear, though; if it was around while Erwin was a child then the Beast Titan couldn't be Erwin's dad, since the Beast Titan didn't recognize Mike's 3DMG.
That's what ruins a lot of speculations on the Beast Titan; I thought it might be Eren's dad at first, since his Titan kinda looked like a hairless Beast Titan and the glasses. But the 3DMG gives it away.

I'm reading it right now and holy **** what's wrong with Erwin?! Suddenly he's like 0_0 i'm only in this for myself dun dun duuuun. Oh god the panel with his standing on the pile of corpses? And Mike's at the top. I had to stop reading at that point for a few minutes. i HATE how glossed over Mike's death was. Like... I think I ended up forgetting it had even happened because it was so... just done and dusted in a few seconds flat! I'd also point out how god damned desperate Levi sounds in that first bit, like he's terrified of losing anyone else. I'm seriously worried he's gonna break soon.
AND I WAS FECKIN RIGHT ABOUT THE SPEARS. Projectile explosives... awwww yeaaaaah! Lol... i'm a little excited.
And they end it there... oh my god do i want Reiner dead.

WhyBuffet

The Hero of Wind
Nah, Erwin has always been like that. Ever since his conversation with Darius Zakley in that carriage, it has been abundantly clear that Erwin has been in this for his own selfish ends, as opposed to being in it for the benefit of humanity. That's why I like him as a character; he's so real. If a real person were in his position, they would totally use the excuse of the "greater good" to get people to do what they wanted, while secretly having their own agenda. This most recent scene is a great depiction of his struggle with the guilt he's been carrying around for tricking people (as a person who constantly tricks people for my own selfish wiles, I can totally relate).

I think Mike's death being glossed over was intentional. I mean, let's be honest, he was never the most vocal character (in the anime he had like 5 scenes and only spoke in one of them). His death being "glossed over" like that is just an artistic way of re-enforcing the idea that the Titans are without grace or mercy, and that in their wake even the strongest of soldiers are reduced to nothing before them.

My guess is that in the next issue, everyone will be crowded around Reiner's exploded corpse, where his head and torso will say a few final words then die. I can't imagine a character as impactful as him simply dying like that without a last word. Though I guess it could happen (re: Mike).

Yeah I know Erwin has been like that for a while, but not usually in such big doses haha!

Yeah i totally agree with the 'reason' behind the glossing over when it happened etc. but it's the fact no one has really mentioned it kinda got me. It was like Isamya was just like... pfft i dunno what to do with you, kill you. Like it feels like he has no idea what to do with Annie, hence why she's buggered off for so long. Mind you I genuinely don't care about her, cannot stand her character and not just because she's a 'bad guy'. I just don't like how her character is done.

I hope that is him dead, would be a bit annoying to once again have that teased type of thing. I am so happy I got the new weapon thing right haha :D

WhyBuffet

The Hero of Wind
That's true; I find it rare for the manga to go into surreal imagery like that.

Fair point about Mike, too. I suppose it's possible that there were bigger plans for him, but then those plans got scrapped.

I'm not so sure about Annie, though... I feel like she'll be back in the future, when we least expect it.

I also get genuinely surprised when people say that they don't like a certain character. It's not that I think people's opinions are wrong, they are most certainly not wrong at all; it's just that I think all the characters are great in their own way, so I get puzzled when people say they "can't stand a character."

Yeah i just kinda hope we get a sidenote - aw yeah she died. Haha. Fair enough, I usually do like all characters for one reason or another, but I just find Annie... I'm not sure how to put it... like 1/2 thought out and then big baddy with weird motivations and ugh it just feels so inconsistent to me. As a reader and a writer. I don't agree with people that go outright 'i don't like that character' and when you ask them why there's no reason. I don't agree with that.

WhyBuffet

The Hero of Wind
Speaking of characters that seemed to have disappeared with nothing more than a sidenote, I really hope we see Ymir again. I actually really like her and her character has so much mystery behind it... I'm dying to know everything there is to know about her.

WhyBuffet

The Hero of Wind
Speaking ONCE AGAIN about characters that have just disappeared...
Whatever happened to Daz?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom