• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Odd controller design.

SpiteChaotic

The lazy Chaos Bringer
I just recently thought about the design between all the wii u stuff. Mostly the shoulder button on the game pad, pro controller and the fight pad which is basically a classic controller. Making the the large shoulder buttons my fingers naturally go too for grip into ZR and ZL. While the tiny buttons right above them are the regular R and L.

I would be fine if they designed certain button pushes around this. But from what I have played they sadly haven't. Any of the gameboy advance games i play of the wii u require me to push the regular l and r and in certain situations when i forget this i take a hit or i don't activate right on time. Also so strange on the fight pad when it is designed so similiar to the gamecube controller they switched the l and r with the z button.

It makes things a bit more difficult for me. I know the playstation started the design with a l 1, 2 and r 1 and 2. But they designed around that knowing where you fingers would generally rest and make the trigger buttons if you ever needed them to be the more common of the buttons. Or they left them to be camera controls which i liked.

It could be me but it is so strange to have the common r and l to be higher then where my fingers normally go and be used more actively then where my fingers are comfortable.

Well, I have a bit of a confession to make. I've bought a few GBA games from the Wii U Virtual Console, but I have yet to play them. I'll keep this in mind to see if the positioning of the L and R buttons on the gamepad is a problem. I haven't experienced any issue with the buttons on original Wii U games; however, I can't recall any games that actually use those buttons. Overall, the gamepad is comfortable, but it certainly could be a case of packing too much into a small space.

SpiteChaotic

The lazy Chaos Bringer
Well, I have a bit of a confession to make. I've bought a few GBA games from the Wii U Virtual Console, but I have yet to play them. I'll keep this in mind to see if the positioning of the L and R buttons on the gamepad is a problem. I haven't experienced any issue with the buttons on original Wii U games; however, I can't recall any games that actually use those buttons. Overall, the gamepad is comfortable, but it certainly could be a case of packing too much into a small space.
Yeah been awhile since my last try but it messes with my head. Considering now I'm playing paper mario off my wii u's wii menu using a classic controller and using the L as the z button. I tried at first with the fight pad but my fingers naturally kept falling back on the lz button which does nothing in the game. it just messes with my head.

InsomniacAttack

wtf did u say about me u little mcnuggit?
I've had no problems with either Wii U controller but I definitely prefer the pro controller for all games, especially VC games. Out of all Nintendo and video game controllers in general, the Gamecube controller is by far the most comfortable and useable.

Swordbomb

Doktor Assisted Homicide
I don't know why, but I naturally have a much easier time using the Pro Controller over anything else. Even the Gamecube controller feels weird in my hands.
I've naturally gotten accustomed to the way the Pro Controller is set up, and thus I can play Brawl just fine with it. The Comfortable C-Stick helps as well, making Smash Attacks a breeze.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom