• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild The Music of Zelda Wii U

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Along with the drought of information, we also know very little about Zelda Wii U's music. We know practically nothing. During the debut trailer, we heard 3 notes resolving a calm tone. Is that supposed to be the Hyrule Field music? Of which the music moves onto a rapid tempo and yields a time very similar to TP's darknut theme. Both of which is very short. During the Japanese version of the GAS footage, we faintly hear the music that plays. A violin plays a fastish tune using triplets with maybe a cello in the background laying a base note(it is very hard to tell). We don't have a lot to go off on really....
So this brings a question, what do you guys think the music will be like? Will it have a full orchestral feel like TP and OoT, have a wind ensemble feel like SS and WW, or focus on specialized instruments such as ST, MM, and MC. What do you guys want for the music?
Who do you guys want to be the composer as well? I really hope Ryo Nagamatsu sticks around, as he did a fantastic job on Super Mario Galaxy 2, Nintendoland, Mariokart 8, and most of all, A Link Between Worlds. Nagamatsu seems like the true successor to Kondo, and I am very happy with that.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I really hope for a dark and dirty dubstep soundtrack for the game.

Failing that I expect fully orchestrated music not too different from what we got in SS.

Reactions: Dan
D

Deleted member 14134

I'd like a full orchestra with a little more flare to the music. I was excited when I heard that skyward sword was going to be fully orchestrated but felt that the score itself was a low point for the series.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I'd like a full orchestra with a little more flare to the music. I was excited when I heard that skyward sword was going to be fully orchestrated but felt that the score itself was a low point for the series.
I agree. While SS's songs weren't bad persay, a lot of them were quite forgettable. The songs tried to be more atmospheric and depended less on the melody, sometimes this really worked out, like in the silent realms, Skyview Temple and Ancient Cistern, but a lot of the songs just blended with each other too much. There were some good melodies too, it's just they weren't used that often. For example, Romance in the Sky, and Crimson loftwing. Others were great and used often, like Ghirahim's battle, Grooses theme, and Skyloft. Overall however, the music was pleasant to lost run to, but the music was so forgettable. I hope they change that with Zelda Wii U.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Orchestral! I shall settle for nothing else. Zelda's always had good music but I feel recent versions have fallen off slightly. So bring it back, Ninty! :)

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
A mix of full orchestrated pieces mixed with short catchy tunes. Have the short catchy songs in places like villages, houses, even dungeons. Then you could have the full orchestrated pieces take place in the overworld and have different tracks for each province, considering how big the overworld is gonna be.

To be honest I trust Nintendo enough with music since they're easily the best at it.

I'm not worried about the music in Zelda U, what we heard in the trailer was nice and Kondo hasn't let me down yet. I'm looking forward to hearing what we get, I'm not fussed if they use an orchestra or not, either. Though Skyward Sword did feel as if it lost a little bite with the orchestra but still, it wasn't awful.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I'm not worried about the music in Zelda U, what we heard in the trailer was nice and Kondo hasn't let me down yet. I'm looking forward to hearing what we get, I'm not fussed if they use an orchestra or not, either. Though Skyward Sword did feel as if it lost a little bite with the orchestra but still, it wasn't awful.
Kondo doesn't work on Zelda games anymore however. It is confirmed that he is just taking an advisory role on the game.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
I feel like a lot of the music will be orchestrated to give the game a very epic and adventurous atmosphere. (At least, that's the kind of overworld I expect for this game based on the trailer. ^^) So having orchestral music would be perfect!

I kinda hope for a soundtrack similar to WW's and TP's, with a little SS mixed in there. ;)

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I want to hear more than an ensemble of strings or wind instruments. The likes of Skyward Sword's music was well-done for its intended purpose, but the majority of its tracks definitely felt lackluster. In particular, I didn't find myself relishing the orchestrated battle tracks (Ghirahim or Levias' themes are as good as it gets) because they weren't dynamic enough.

This series as a whole would do well to revamp its musical tendencies. Zelda has always relied on a more simplistic approach, without being overly bombastic, and that could be the reason that it keeps its fans satisfied. However, as much as I enjoy LoZ's soundtracks, there's just so much that feels stagnant. The number of remixes interspersed throughout each game can only be tolerated for so long. Sure, the franchise is slowly transitioning from MIDI to live instruments, but the same sense of sound still presides in the modern games.

To put this into perspective, I feel that Zelda should take on dramatic changes to sound more like this while maintaining its unique style. Heck, even go as far as fusing electric guitars with violins to achieve a more intense atmosphere in battle, a la Xenoblade, or bring back a field theme as the same caliber as TP's, like Time & Eternity did.

Wow… guess I'm the only one who thinks that Skyward's music was one of it's genuinely excellent elements. Skyloft's theme, the sky music, Faron Wood, Lanyru Mining Facility, and many of the boss themes are delicious. Also, if you listen during Fi's theme, you can actually hear the breath sounds of the person playing.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I really hope all of this time they are giving Zelda Wii U will make sure that the soundtrack has a ton of music of really excellent, orchestral quality,

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom