• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should Atheism be implemented into Zelda Games?

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
I think it could actually work if the Nintendo team went about it the right way and changed up the core formula somewhat.

Obviously Zelda games are based around thesim, from the constant references to the Gods, to God like relics and symbols such as the Triforce, to the constant references of "chosen one". The game would have to be stripped of all of its lore to the point where it essentially becomes a lost myth. Wind Waker showcased this to an extent, but obviously me us rediscover the lost history. So this hypothetical game would have to take it one step further and completely isolate itself from the other games to allow for the lore and history to be almost lost.

You don't necessarily have to place the game in some sort of advanced technological age, but make it distant enough to allow time for the stories to become distant myths. The game could be centred around people losing faith in these so called "Gods" and lack of proof. So then you could have a civil war based on rebellion, led by a false shepherd of sorts (the false shepherd would probably be Ganondorf or another force of evil spreading lies).

The player would spring up as Link, and people may have hatred towards him for being the "chosen one", which would lead to a darker game where Link isn't reveled in greatness or heroism but is instead detested. Obviously we know in this world that the Gods do exist, so the rebellion would be the "bad guys" in this particular war.

---

Interesting to think about that's for sure, might not fit the formula though and I think a lot of sacrifices would have to be made for it to make sense and play a big role.

As much as this would be hard too do and stay in Zelda tradition, this whole Idea still sounds pretty cool. Basically, you would have too know the past of Zelda for this plot too make sense too the player. But even if you didnt know the lore of Zelda already, Im sure a short history lesson in an opening cut scene could bring everyone up too speed. Ending the introduction with "however these legends have been forgotten to the current society, resulting in danger and false prophets". I think it would be pretty cool.

HeroOfHyrule64

The "Not Tingle" Map Seller
Nah, I see this as a Christianity point of view. Believing God is there, but sometimes losing faith and need to be rekindled into their faith.

I can't imagine the game incorporating atheists into the game without either demonizing them or making a politically-charged statement about atheism IRL. I don't think the purpose would be well served. On the other hand, if we ever see a more futuristic Zelda, it might be interesting to imagine a time when Hylians have forgotten about the gods of old or dismiss them as fairytales. I could see that creating an opening for an interesting narrative, as long as a/theism isn't the central focus.

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
My take on atheists in Zelda is that they contradict the fantasy element of assumed existence of deities, which what Zelda lore is built on. In Zelda, we know that all worshipped deities (Din, Nayru, Farore, Hylia, and so on) exist. Also, within Zelda the Triforce is also undeniably real. This is true just by the construction of the Zelda universe. So, atheism in Zelda is not a logically valid. In real life, however, it's not known whether deities exist or not, so both atheism and theism are logically valid.
Hence, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to see a lot of atheism in Zelda, unless the lore becomes lost, or there are a few skeptical characters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom