• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What is the most unsettling moment in Majora's Mask?

2MooglesGaming

More fun than a bag of Kupo Nuts!
Majora's Mask is unlike other games in the series for a lot of reasons (story, gameplay, etc), but the thing that really sets it apart is its unabashedly spooky overtones. It's just a straight up creepy game. The great thing is that different parts of the game affect us all in different ways.

So what part of the game unsettled/freaked you out the most?

Our new video talks about some of the things that really creeped us out, feel free to check it out and share your thoughts. :)

Fiery Klongo

I Am Mardric
I will be honest and say that very little of Majoras Mask freaks me out. I totally get into the spirit of the game when I play, but its not that that freaks me out. What really get me is how complete Majoras work in the land was. He tore people apart, cursed them, killed them, changed them, and forced sentient beings into turning on their own. thats not all obviously, but the thought of all that Majora did strengthened my conviction to take him down. Pretty crazy stuff.

InsomniacAttack

wtf did u say about me u little mcnuggit?
This may not have freaked out many, but when Link gets sucked into the Moon, the serene grassy field appears with a large tree in the middle. This honestly still gives me chills and I don't know why. This game is so emotional and it all culminates in this strange atmosphere that just adds on to the already unsettling tone of the game. And I love it so much.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
I don't know about "unsettling" per se, but when you fail the Kafei quest and he gets trapped in Sakon's hideout it's incredibly depressing; either he dies when the moon crashes, or you stop the moon and he remains trapped there, doomed to die a slow death by starvation and dehydration.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
I'd say it was Ikana Canyon. The atmosphere in that place is amazing. Unsettling, but amazing.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
The moment that Majora's Mask discards Skull Kid as "mere garbage" and a "puppet" and the player realises that Majora is so much more than a Mask it's sentient and malevolent instead of Skull Kid using the mask it's quite the reverse.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
The whole mask play mechanic, because they're really all masks of dead characters. The only one you actually see die is the Zora, but really they're all dead. And the animation when you put on the mask, as if it is causing Link pain, or is it causing the spirit of the dead characters pain?

The whole concept behind the masks in general. And looking at the masks the HMSM has on his pack? Creepy stuff.

2MooglesGaming

More fun than a bag of Kupo Nuts!
Wearing a dead Zora's face is pretty unsettling.
As much as I've talked about the masks, there's something about reading it that makes it even more unsettling. He's wearing the face of a dead person, like a serial killer or something. Xp

What really get me is how complete Majoras work in the land was. He tore people apart, cursed them, killed them, changed them, and forced sentient beings into turning on their own. thats not all obviously, but the thought of all that Majora did strengthened my conviction to take him down. Pretty crazy stuff.
That is an excellent point. Majora didn't roll into town and release a few monsters, he literally ruined everyone's lives in an extreme way. When you think about everything he's done, it really makes you want to stop him even more.

This may not have freaked out many, but when Link gets sucked into the Moon, the serene grassy field appears with a large tree in the middle.
It's such a striking image, especially when you think about how big of a role trees play in every game. Totally an emotional experience.

I don't know about "unsettling" per se, but when you fail the Kafei quest and he gets trapped in Sakon's hideout it's incredibly depressing; either he dies when the moon crashes, or you stop the moon and he remains trapped there, doomed to die a slow death by starvation and dehydration.
Oh man, I never thought about it but you're right. Even if you stop the moon after failing the quest, he's still totally screwed. There's no end to the crazy things you can realize about this game.

This may not have freaked out many, but when Link gets sucked into the Moon, the serene grassy field appears with a large tree in the middle. This honestly still gives me chills and I don't know why. This game is so emotional and it all culminates in this strange atmosphere that just adds on to the already unsettling tone of the game. And I love it so much.

This was the big one for me. It was so surreal to suddenly end up there, with the masked kids running around. It looks so innocent and that is what makes it attack your emotions in such a weird way, especially when the kids start questioning Link's attempts at saving the world. It's creepy, because it's like all Link's insecurities are coming to light, and being acknowledged right then and there.

What strikes me about Majora's Mask is that the "bad guy" in the end isn't Majora or the Skull Kid, but Link's own emotional state. The questions are the kind of existential thing you'd be asking if you were questioning your own existence, and whether your life meant anything. What Link's really trying to conquer are his own inner demons. And it's odd that the game expresses this so endearingly well, despite the fact that Link himself has very few lines. (Most of which are multiple choice...) The conclusion? After all this is over? Do good deeds to make others happy. The moral of the story is that which we should have known all along. I love it.

hero_of_hearts

Come at me, broseidon
The whole mask play mechanic, because they're really all masks of dead characters. The only one you actually see die is the Zora, but really they're all dead. And the animation when you put on the mask, as if it is causing Link pain, or is it causing the spirit of the dead characters pain?

The whole concept behind the masks in general. And looking at the masks the HMSM has on his pack? Creepy stuff.
I don't know what it was about your specific comment that sprung this thought but a lot of the masks are spirits of the dead and HMS has a Mario mask on his pack so..... MM ruins my childhood again.
But anyway my most unsettling moment was actually in the crcredits. It didn't actually connect the first time but the Deku butler crying over his son. I remember like my third time through the game the butler said I reminded him of his son and it was like whoosh hit me all at once. And that particular concept disturbed me.

Last edited:

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I don't know what it was about your specific comment that sprung this thought but a lot of the masks are spirits of the dead and HMS has a Mario mask on his pack so..... MM ruins my childhood again.
But anyway my most unsettling moment was actually in the crcredits. It didn't actually connect the first time but the Deku butler crying over his son. I remember like my third time through the game the butler said I reminded him of his son and it was like whoosh hit me all at once. And that particular concept disturbed me.

YESSSSS. When I wrote that bit about the masks the Happy Mask Salesman has on his pack, I was specifically think about about the Mario mask. It doesn't just imply that Mario is dead, but it's also a really disturbing-looking mask. It looks all wrinkly and worn out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom