• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is cel-shading here to stay?

By 'here to stay', I mean is every home console title going to sport the Cel-shaded look from now on?

Twilight Princess almost seemed like an apology for Wind Waker's divisive art style but now the Cel-shading style takes up almost the majority of Zelda games and Zelda U is continuing the trend.

I can see the Cel-shade look continuing on into future hom console installments and to be honest, outside of a Twilight Princess remake, I don't see another non-cel-shaded Zelda title in the future any time soon... but maybe that's just me?

What do you all think?

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
I dont mind the Cel-shaded look as much as i used too. I literally didnt by a gamecube cuz WW was cel-shaded, instead buying a Wii so I could by the gamecube version of Twilight Princess. I am glad I was another shot at the game with the release of WWHD, but still prefer the Normal somewhat realistic look. I dont care what tone it is, but i have always prefer the normal video game look. As much as I dont mind the cel-shading, I would be pretty upset if EVERY Zelda game from here on out was Cel-shaded

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
By 'here to stay', I mean is every home console title going to sport the Cel-shaded look from now on?

Twilight Princess almost seemed like an apology for Wind Waker's divisive art style but now the Cel-shading style takes up almost the majority of Zelda games and Zelda U is continuing the trend.

I can see the Cel-shade look continuing on into future hom console installments and to be honest, outside of a Twilight Princess remake, I don't see another non-cel-shaded Zelda title in the future any time soon... but maybe that's just me?

What do you all think?

Who knows what they'll do anymore? Say their game is coming in 2015. Guarantee it. Delay the game...Always failing to deliver their promises.

Nintendo doesn't have the console power to make a good looking non cell shaded Zelda game at least compared to the xbox one and ps4 games. Who knows what their next console will be like. Perhaps nuclear powered. Obliterating the competition and probably the user when it explodes.
Only then we will get a non cell shaded Zelda.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Midna's shadow, the Palace of Twilight, the warp spots, the air particles, the light gates/barriers (and other lighting/glowing effects) were all cel-shaded.

Cel-shading doesn't always have to be kiddy, colorful and comic-bookish.

That's hardly a lot of cell shading. No more than other games with more realistic looking visuals. Halo 4 a prime example with the promethian architecture and enemies.
Twilight particles are black. An absence of any light so they are obviously going to be one colour.
Midnas shadow is no different from the shadows in COD.
All games incorporate cell shading but that does not make them cell shaded games.

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
Never said it was a cel-shaded game. Just that it incorporated a number of cel-shading elements in it.

From The Wind Waker on, every Zelda game used cel-shading elements aside from ALBW.

It's here to stay.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Never said it was a cel-shaded game. Just that it incorporated a number of cel-shading elements in it.

From The Wind Waker on, every Zelda game used cel-shading elements aside from ALBW.

It's here to stay.

Every game uses cell shaded elements. I'm sure the OP means the actual art style being cell shaded rather than just the little bits you get with every game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom