• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What is the Fierce Deity

jameswillis

The Ultimate Nerd.
My last thread got me thinking about the fierce deity mask and what it is. I remembered in MM when you get Fierce Deity, it asks if this mask could be more evil than Majora himself. This obviously means the FD is evil to some extent. My guess is that it is Evil, but not as evil as Majora. The fierce deity is obviously link, just look at the mask.
The FD was probably an incarnation of link, or Ravio. Or we could be dealing with entirely new link. If this link isn't link or Ravio, than termina would be it's own parallel to hyrule and/or lorule. His name probably isn't even link, the mask is just called fierce deity's mask. There are a total of three deity-like masks in majora's mask, FD, MM, and the Giants mask. They could be the Din, Nauru, and Farore of termina, and instead of leaving the triforce, they left masks with their power in them.
But what about the Giants? Well they are guardian deities of termina, just like Hylia. They would probably be her parallel, but as four deities instead of one. And if termina had a royal family like hyrule and lorule, it could be the Ikana royal family when they were alive.
Let me know what you guys think.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
what you have to think about is that everyone has evil within and could be what the child who gives it to you means, that the masks unlocks what is in yourself. Also the mask in japanese is the Oni Mask which would call it the demon mask in our dialect. Also Termina has it's own resident guardians in the form of the Giants Termina doesn't follow the same system as Hyrule thought the people of Ikana in the past did revere the goddess or rather the realm they inhabited why else did they build stone tower. The Fierce Deity like all good demons assume the guise you'd least expect, now however it might be similar to Majora's Mask a creature within who might regain sentience which is what Majora would want. He might also take the form of his Host as well the spirit within the mask takes a form both different but familiar to the host. Note i said He. Most people think that Majoras is a she and represents the Sun and Fierce Deity is the Moon, heck for all we know the Mask of Fierce Deity might actually be an embodiment of the Moon that is called to Termina. But because there is no outstanding proof bar some markings on each of the two we cannot say for sure so for the time being it's conjecture and superfluous ideas. Though i think you focus too much on a link betwixt Termina and Lorule too much. Lorule is the reverse of Hyrule as it falls into decline wheras Termina happens on a different timeline and actually has a thriving society.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
When asked about the transformation masks, specifically who's memories do the fierce deity mask contain? Since other transformation masks contain the memories of someone that passed away.
Aounuma said something like
Within the fierce deity mask are contained the memories of all the people of Termina.

Kingwobbly

Kingwu.
Perhaps in this parallel universe, Link was evil and Ganondorf was good. The hero Ganondorf fought with the evil Link and sealed him in a mask instead of the sacred realm as Link did to Ganondorf in OoT since this universe has an emphasis on masks instead of the triforce and its place of residence. During the battle evil Link transformed into a god like form, as Ganon did during the final battle of OoT. This fits in with the Japanese name to, as oni means demon, and the name for Ganon's pig for is demon king Ganon.

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
My guess is that [the Fierce Deity] is Evil, but not as evil as Majora. The fierce deity is obviously link, just look at the mask.

I disagree when you say the FD is not as evil as Majora. In fact, because FD Link can very easily defeat Majora in the final battle and the kid wearing Majora's Mask calls you a bad guy, it suggests that the FD is as evil, if not more evil, than Majora.

I also really like the concept that the FD mask may contain the soul of an evil Link. It makes sense considering that the other transformation masks (except maybe the Giant's Mask, which could possibly be using transmutation magic) contain the souls of the Deku Butler's son (Deku Mask), Darmani (Goron Mask), and Mikau (Zora Mask), and that Termina is in a parallel universe compared to Hyrule.

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
I disagree when you say the FD is not as evil as Majora. In fact, because FD Link can very easily defeat Majora in the final battle and the kid wearing Majora's Mask calls you a bad guy, it suggests that the FD is as evil, if not more evil, than Majora.

I also really like the concept that the FD mask may contain the soul of an evil Link. It makes sense considering that the other transformation masks (except maybe the Giant's Mask, which could possibly be using transmutation magic) contain the souls of the Deku Butler's son (Deku Mask), Darmani (Goron Mask), and Mikau (Zora Mask), and that Termina is in a parallel universe compared to Hyrule.

I hate to say this but Aonuma recently debunked this a month ago.

Aonuma: The best I can give you is just a suggestion. The best way to think about it is that the memories of all the people of Termina are inside of the Fierce Deity Mask.

I didn't like this at first but then I did some thinking. What if he was actually trying to suggest that FD Link is supposed represent the Hero of Time's true nature? Thanks to the faith of the people of Termina in all Link's masks creating the ultimate mask, with said mask, he was able tranform into a powerful being that represents his true inner self. I believe that this could mean that the Hero of Time is actually a human incarnate of an angel, more specifically, an angel of life.

Though, what's confusing here is FD Link's Japanese name Oni Rinku or Oni Link in English and Oni means demon in Japan. So maybe he's more of some kind of Nephalim (angel x demon hybrid)?

Also, to further support my theory about FD Link being Link's true nature, in HW, you see that the 'Deity' is in the name of Young Link weapons, where each weapon is for the deity form, not human form. Each weapon named specifically the following:

• Fierce Deity Mask
  • Furious Deity Mask
  • Vengeful Deity Mask
Of course, this makes sense if you look back at the canon where the Hero of Time eventually becomes such a dark being known as the Hero's Shade. As you could tell by name of each form of the Deity Mask, the word before 'Deity' indicates Link's current mood or state of mind. Thus, suggesting that Deity Link has to be Link's true inner nature that he keeps contained. With that said, it's safe to say that Deity Link is really connected to Link that much more than we all thought.

So with all that said, with the FD mask being created from all the Termina Folk's faith in Link, then that means that FD Link can not be evil (at least not at first).

Edit: I'll explain more in future videos.

Last edited:

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
How the hell is the hero's shade a dark being? Also Deity is used to describe gods such as the Norse Pantheon or greek Pantheon.

In religious belief, a deity ( i/ˈdiː.ɨti/ or i/ˈdeɪ.ɨti/) is a supernatural being, who may be thought of as holy, godly, or sacred. Some religions have one supreme deity, while others have multiple deities of various ranks

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Perhaps in this parallel universe, Link was evil and Ganondorf was good. The hero Ganondorf fought with the evil Link and sealed him in a mask instead of the sacred realm as Link did to Ganondorf in OoT since this universe has an emphasis on masks instead of the triforce and its place of residence. During the battle evil Link transformed into a god like form, as Ganon did during the final battle of OoT. This fits in with the Japanese name to, as oni means demon, and the name for Ganon's pig for is demon king Ganon.

Ganondorf is always referred to as Dai Mao in the Japanese games. Which means great demon king. Ganon is simply a beastly form he can take on.

VitaTempusN92

How the hell is the hero's shade a dark being? Also Deity is used to describe gods such as the Norse Pantheon or greek Pantheon.

In religious belief, a deity ( i/ˈdiː.ɨti/ or i/ˈdeɪ.ɨti/) is a supernatural being, who may be thought of as holy, godly, or sacred. Some religions have one supreme deity, while others have multiple deities of various ranks

I know what a deity is! A deity, much like a god or a titan, is also just a title to describe someone as sacred or divine. So, with that being said, an angel or nephalim can easily be a deity.

Also, how is this guy not a dark being?

tbK0a.png

He must've experienced some tragedy in his life for his being as an undead to look that grim. Also, if look at his deity swords in HW:

HW_-_Young_Link_Fierce_Deity_Swords.png

Notice how the three swords all bear elements from other swords.
  • Fierce Deity Sword = Gilded Sword
  • Furious Deity Sword = Master Sword
  • Vengeful Deity Sword = Hero's Shade Sword
Each sword based off certain particular swords that the Hero of Time/Hero's Shade has wielded in his lifetime.

Again, I'll explain more and in much better detail in future videos.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
HW isn't canon so you can't even use that to legitmize anything.

Also that's not dark just tragic. Since when did Tragedy become synonymous with dark?

VitaTempusN92

HW isn't canon so you can't even use that to legitmize anything.

Also that's not dark just tragic. Since when did Tragedy become synonymous with dark?

1) I KNOW it's not canon (officially) but it still could mean something when thinking about it for inspiration. Plus it makes more sense than the whole FD Mask just having the memories of everyone in Termina.

2) Um, tragedy IS dark! Also something doesn't have to be dark literally to be dark! Games like OoT, MM, WW, PH, ST, SS, and ALBW prove that fairly well.

3) Since before time buddy.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
1) if it isn't canon then i am sure you are ware IT DOESN'T PROVIDE ANYTHING FOR ANYTHING IN SERIES

2) Tragedy is sad not dark, only in some cases is it dark

3) I wouldn't want to be anything to you let alone buddy.

VitaTempusN92

1) if it isn't canon then i am sure you are ware IT DOESN'T PROVIDE ANYTHING FOR ANYTHING IN SERIES

2) Tragedy is sad not dark, only in some cases is it dark

3) I wouldn't want to be anything to you let alone buddy.

Then why have this conversation if you're going to just be a jerk like usual?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom