• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite/Least Favorite Zelda Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
(I'm in the process of reviving a bit of discussion from the old World of Zelda stickies, so it might seem familiar, but feel free to post and share your views.)

So what are your favorite and least favourite Zelda games and why? You can state a few examples or compile a list ranking them in order.

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
Here's my list as of 1/30/15: MM > ALTTP > OOT > TWW > LA > ALBW > LOZ > SS > OOA > TMC > OOS > TP > ST > FSA > PH > AOL > FS

Last edited:
I'm still gonna have to go with Wind Waker. Always loved its story, graphics, and characters the best compared to other entries. It's easily my favorite Zelda game.

As for my least favorite, it's the game's sequel, Phantom Hourglass. Everything about it sucked from the lackluster story to the frustrating gameplay. Nothing about the game was good, imo.

OoT/MM are my favorite, I just can't separate them, they seem like a cohesive arc to me.

I haven't played the Four Swords games, or the DS/3DS titles, but of the rest LA is my least favorite. Now, don't get me wrong, it's a great game. It just doesn't capture me and never has for some reason. Which is weird because I adore ALttP and OoX (those come right after OoT/MM to me), but LA just has never done it for me for some reason.

yozo67

Hero of Time
Ocarina of Time is my favourite by far, as it was the first one I played, and the one I still enjoy playing the most today.

My least favourite, however, is a Link to the Past. Dunno, I just find it boring.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I have been replaying many of the Zelda games lately, and Ocarina of Time, which used to be one of my favorites, just feels so dull and boring now. Maybe it's because what I like in a Zelda game has changed, idk. But I think this is my list as of now:

1. Twilight Princess
2. A Link to the Past
3. A Link Between Worlds
4. Oracle of Ages
5. Oracle of Seasons
6. The Wind Waker
7. Phantom Hourglass
8. Ocarina of Time
9. The Minish Cap
10. Link's Awakening
11. Spirit Tracks
12. Skyward Sword
13. Majora's Mask
14. Legend of Zelda
(Never played): Adventure of Link

I realize that my list is a really unpopular opinion, but it is how I feel at the moment.

Sheik

:the:
For some of these, I had absolutely no clue where I should have placed them in relation to others, so I made a tier list, kinda.

Tier S
Wind Waker

Tier A
Majora's Mask
Ocarina of Time

Tier B
Link's Awakening
A Link Between Worlds

Tier C
Skyward Sword
Twilight Princess
A Link to the Past
Oracle of Ages
Oracle of Seasons

These are all completed, except for Oracle of Seasons which is like 90% completed and A Link to the Past which is only like 70%.

---

Haven't Completed (Or Just Haven't Completed Enough To Judge It Properly)
The Legend of Zelda (I'm too bad at this game to be able to beat it)
Adventure of Link (I'm even worse at this one)

Haven't Played At All
The Minish Cap
Phantom Hourglass
Spirit Tracks

Don't Really Consider Proper Zelda Games
Four Swords
Four Swords Adventures

selicyc

i never knew daylight could be so violent.
a mystery inside of an enigma wrapped in a soft fuzzy blanket of I don't even know what
For me, nothing will ever top A Link to the Past. Adventure and danger lurking at every turn, with an engaging plot to boot. An honorable mention goes to A Link Between Worlds for bringing back that sense of wonder and adventure, not to mention that it brought me back to the fold after years of frustration with the series becoming too linear and "hand-holdy."

Another nod goes to Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. The former for being my first Zelda experience and the latter for trying something different. I may have not liked MM much as a kid, but as I've aged, I've come to appreciate it more. And as Seth said, they both make a cohesive arc, making it hard to separate them. I know I've said it before, but it bears repeating: the Hero of Time is still my favourite version of Link to this very day.

Really, I could wax poetic about the Hero of Time and his games all day, but there's a time and a place for everything, and this isn't the time nor the place for that.

As for my least favourite title, it's a tie between Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. Dreadfully boring games, and as Heroine of Winds mentioned for PH, fully equipped with frustrating controls and lackluster storytelling.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
My ranking changes fairly often because I replay games and lose my interest in them, but here is my list as of now:

1: Majora's Mask
2: The Wind Waker
3: Skyward Sword
4: A Link Between Worlds
5: The Minish Cap
6: Oracle of Ages
7: Ocarina of Time
8: Oracle of Seasons
9: Spirit Tracks
10: Twilight Princess
11: A Link to the Past
12: Link's Awakening
13: Phantom Hourglass
14: The Legend of Zelda
15: Four Swords Adventures
16: Four Swords
17: Adventure of Link

Don't think I dislike the ones close to the bottom, or think that they're weak games. The first 9 in my list were extremely hard to rank as I love them all and think they're fantastic games. From number 10 down is when they start to decline (though it's not until around number 14 that I truly start to dislike them). Numbers 11 to 13 are all basically equal, so they were also put in order. Twilight Princess is just slightly better than them. The drop from 13 to 14 is a large one.

My favorite is definitely Majora's Mask.
My least favorite is Spirit Tracks, it was kinda boring, but even still it's an okay game. :P

Twilight Princess. After that, the 3d games, in no particular order, then the DS titles, in no particular order, then the 2d titles; it's not that I don't appreciate or respect each game individually, I do immensely-- but in ranking them, eh, they get muddled, and I tend to switch them around so often, I've decidedly decided to... not... decide. Least favorite? Like I said, I have no definite answer, but if I was to pick one, I'd say OoX. I probably had the least amount of fun with those ones-- still like them, though.

The thing is, the 2d games have just never spoken to me in the way the 3d games have; they just have natural limitations that prohibit me from really immersing myself in their worlds, and that immersion is something I deeply crave in Zelda titles. I suppose I like to exercise my own creativity while gaming, if you can make any sense of what that means (I can't), and the classic titles have just never inspired me to do so.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
My favorite Zelda game at the moment is Spirit Tracks. I loved that Zelda herself was a big part of it, and I loved the teamwork between her and Link in the Tower of Spirits. I also loved the plot and the music was phenomenal.

My least favorite game is Twilight Princess. The art style and colors are hideous, there isn't a single interesting character in the entire game, none of the dungeons or bosses were remotely challenging, the twilight portions were tedious as heck, and Midna just ruins everything.

*shrugs*

Favorite to Least Favorite:

1) Adventure of Link-8/10-I love all the new things it tried and how much bigger everything looked. Great soundtrack too, challenging and fun. Would love to see those spells come back. Introduced sword techniques and the first transformation.

2) The Legend of Zelda-10/10 Fantastic game and the very first I ever played. Love it then as much as I love it now. Always makes me feel like a kid whenever I pop it in my GBA.

3) Twilight Princess-7/10 My first 3D Zelda, slow start but what a fantastically fun game. My fave for the wii

4) Majora's Mask 3D- 8/10-Its unique and fun and I'm enjoying myself. Looks great, mostly pleasant soundtrack, first game I ever got emotionally invested in. Excellent! The dungeons are not great, save Stone Tower.

7) Minish Cap-7/10 Amazing game, good gameplay elements, beautiful soundtrack, great villain, cool bosses, Ezlo was also my first companion. Gorgeous too.

6) A Link Between Worlds-8/10 Haven't seen freedom like this since the first Zelda, I think it has the best set of dungeons in the whole franchise (that I've played)

5) Link's Awakening DX-7/10-Pure fun! Its like the developers had such a good time making this that it became infectious while the player had fun. Unique story, first to be in an area that's not Hyrule. Koholint is a great location. Lotsa humor and personality all around. The dungeons are dull though

8) Oracle of Ages-7/10 I like the Oracle games but I like this one better, I dunno why. How do they make one game on an old handheld feel so huge?

9) Ocarina of Time 3D-7/10 I like this game a lot, but its not my favorite and I breezed through it very easily

10) Oracle of Seasons-7/10 Lots of great humor, one truly fantastic dungeon and cool items so far and I'm blowing through this one a little quicker then Ages.

11) A Link to the Past 6/10 Umm it's a solid title but I think its boring. It's still great and I'd recommend it to anyone.

13) Skyward Sword-4/10 Would have more fun if the controls didn't suck and weren't used to do everything. crappy stupid stamina meter. its a shame, this game is gorgeous and the characters are quirky and fun. also had a few good dungeons.

12) Spirit Tracks-6/10 Kudos to Nintendo for trying new stuff, I'm a weirdo who loved the train idea and the idea behind the panpipes, unfortunately they weren't well executed, touch screen controls are no fun for me in this game and I should never have to backtrack through a dungeon like the tower of spirits like that. For me, once a dungeon is done, its done! if I wanna go through it again then I'll start a new file

Last edited:

ocarinaofnaptime

This Guy Are Sick
5 BEST
1. A Link to the Past- This game laid the foundation for the series, and is, despite what people say about OoT taking the title, the most influential game in the series. The basis of ALTTP defines the games that came after it. Travel between two worlds (light/dark, land/water, sky/surface) was prominent in this installment. This idea of two worlds now basically dominates the Zelda series. Also, many of the towns, areas, music, and characters are recycled in following games, which is a testament to the influence ALTTP had on the series.
2. Skyward Sword- Now, don't get angry for me putting this one so high, but it think it gets a lot of bad rap for such a solid game. Sure, it's different and out of the box, but in my opinion, it has all of the quintessential Zelda elements reintroduced in a new style. Its storyline is fair enough and explains the origin of Hyrule and the Master Sword. The Wii MotionPlus was stellar. It was intuitive and natural, and it redefined the sword mechanics of Zelda. All around, I think it was a pretty solid game, perfect for Zelda's 25th.
3. Ocarina of Time- Need I say more? Solid game, solid story, solid gameplay. It's a classic. But I ranked this one lower because I thought it was overly cliché, and while others hail it as being so influential, lots of OoT's elements were taken from ALTTP.
4. Majora's Mask- This game is so profound, it nearly brought me to tears. The story is chilling and, if I may, really dark for a kid's game (originally E for Everyone). But it's breathtakingly beautiful. The music, the characters, and the story is brilliant. My biggest problem with MM is that it's a GAME, not a movie or book, which means it needs to be PLAYED. Personally, I found the gameplay was horrible. For me at least. Lost a lot of hair over this game.
5. Twilight Princess- TP basically picks up where OoT and MM left off. It did was OoT couldn't do due to technical restraints. The graphics were pretty sucky, even for 2005/2006. They really skimped a lot on graphics. The world was so open, but a little too open and desolate for my taste. The story was alright, but was not moving and did not make an impression on me in the least. The gameplay was fair, not bad not great. The music is beautiful, but I wished it was fully orchestrated. Midna was great as a character, but not as an assistant. Overall, pretty good game.

5 WORST
1 (absolute worst). A Link Between Worlds- I honestly don't know why I hate this game so much, but I do. BURNING INSIDE WITH VEHEMENT ANGER! ALTTP was so great that I hate that they made a re-release/sequel thing? I don't even know. The non-linear structure is fine, but it certainly isn't something I look forward to in the new Zelda game. I hope they stop this after the newest installment. The story was weak, what was up with that villain?, and the whole renting items business SUCKED! LIKE A VACUUM! I'm sorry, but I cannot hate a game any more than I do this one.
2. Oracle of Seasons/Ages- I thought these games were weak, boring, and cliché. Nintendo + Capcom is nice in theory, but when they actually sat down to make a game together, it just wasn't very good.
3. Zelda II- It's the black sheep of the franchise, what with it's side scrolling gameplay and whatnot. I just found it too dissimilar to a Zelda game, lacking the core elements of Zelda. I know that the whole 'Zelda culture' was nonexistent at the time, but I'm glad the series skipped over that game's core functions and instead returned to the style of the original.
4. Phantom Hourglass- This game wasn't BAD, but it was just... Blah. There was nothing especially good or bad about it, which is why it made it onto my worst list. It was largely forgettable, and the gameplay and graphics sucked.
5. Four Swords- I like the concept, but a multiplayer Zelda feels almost like Hyrule Warriors: not really a Zelda game. It has the classic dungeons and bosses, but it's just too unorthodox, much like Zelda II, for me to consider it a favorite Zelda game.

Cross

For rent
ALBW or MM for favorite, I love the look and mechanics in ALBW, and I love MM's dark tone.

I don't really have a least favorite LoZ game, tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom