• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

the NES games

shame on any of you that shun them. shame on you if you think of them as 'archaic' or 'out of date', or even 'unplayable'. i see you guys all over the internet saying how ******** they are and it's annoying.

that's where it all started. **** the timeline theories, the speculation, the theories.. it all started in 1986.

they're great. trust me. stop it.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
I'm going to ignore the fact this thread is really stupid and clearly some sort of bait and go on with what I think.

Basically all in all I find most NES titles to he bottom of the bargain bin trash, the original Selda included. Compare it with just about any other Zelda title and it doesn't even hold a candle in terms of mechanics, graphics, plot, game feel, music, etc etc. When people say it's outdated they're not wrong. The original Zelda was probably great for when it game out a bazillion years ago, but now it csn only be viewed as an unrefined mess.

As for Zelda II, the infamous sequel, I feel that this game basically stole its gameplay from Castlevania. Bugger all. But really, people tend to argue that this game is fine compared to the original hecause the "formula hadn't solidified yet" or some other sort of lame cockeyed agument. The reasonbthat's such a poor argument is because Zelda 1 gave people a thing they wanted then Zelda II comes along and says "lets take everything you wanted, **** on it, throw it in the bin, wait for it to mold, break off a few bits, and stick it in Casltevania II. And it sucked.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
I don't know why you wouldn't take me seriously whdn I put out a valid opinion. Just because it ruffles the fur on your nostalgia neckbeard doesn't make it not credible.

that's like saying all music from before 2000 or whatever is unlistenable. your brain is something i don't even wanna deal with, kiddo..

Spacefiller

waiting for life to start
Ah man, I thought this thread was going to be about cool NES games we liked.

I totally get why really young people might not be into them, I wish I could explain how magical NES games were as they came out. It's a frame of reference issue...you just can't really share "experience" like that to people that don't have a common frame of reference.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
By no means are the NES titles bad games, however they are undoubtedly dated. I mean, it's been over 25 years. Technology and gaming have advanced where so many better games can be made. The combat especially.

Badjacoon

Corn fused
Ah man, I thought this thread was going to be about cool NES games we liked.

I totally get why really young people might not be into them, I wish I could explain how magical NES games were as they came out. It's a frame of reference issue...you just can't really share "experience" like that to people that don't have a common frame of reference.

I hear ya Spacefiller. I have tried many times to get my kids to play some of my old favorite NES games with almost 0 success. They love the newer games but just don't have the patience for the old school. The only NES game I got them to actually play for a little while was Super Mario 3, but that is probably the one NES game that feels like a Super NES game. The original Zelda game was my favorite for a long time, and man there were some other great games! I mean who can dis on Goonies II? My kids can!!!

Spacefiller

waiting for life to start
I have this conversation a lot with a 13 year old family member. He equates quality w/ CG graphics and newness. It is really hard to explain historical relativism to people. Though the NES games lacked graphics and computing power there was still some examples of excellent game play. I personally feel that the Mario Bros NES series, Zelda II, The legend of Kage, and the Castlevania series all had excellent gameplay.

Zelda II takes some very particular honed technique regarding the gameplay to play with any success and I have seen it take some experienced "gamers" to school.

I have started Zelda II: The Adventure of Link(port) on my 3ds. It can be quite difficult at times, but I actually have grown quite fond of that game.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Here's my five cents on the subject. The original Legend of Zelda was a great game for its generation, and I think regardless what we may think about the game personally, the game deserves our respect for being the thing that kickstarted the franchise we love so much. But, gaming has changed a lot since the NES days, which is a good thing, because any artform/industry needs to grow and change as time progresses. It's inevitable that most games from the older days, no matter how revolutionary they were for their time, don't measure up to gaming today - and therefore will not garner the same kind of love it got upon its initial release.

I think people need to differentiate more between opinion and respect. There's nothing wrong about someone not liking a game, no matter how much you may personally love it. No one person is the holder of the objective truth, it's all subjective. What may hit all the right buttons with one gamer, may hit all the wrong ones with another gamer. But even if we don't like/enjoy a particular piece of entertainment, doesn't mean we don't value its contribution to the industry as a whole or how it may have influenced things that came after.

I personally have a lot of respect for the original Legend of Zelda, even if I do personally find it boring to play. Same way I have enormous respect for the shows, movies, books and music that influenced the things I love. Because without those pieces of entertainment, what I love today would never have been thought up and made. But no matter how much I owe any particular piece of entertainment for something else being made further down the line, doesn't mean I am obligated to like what came before. My personal taste is what it is, some things just doesn't appeal to me the way other things do. It's the same for everyone else out there.

Reactions: Doc

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom