• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Old Tech You Want to See Return

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
Is there any old technology you liked but then it got replaced with something else? Landlines? Windows 95? Tell us here!

Spacefiller

waiting for life to start
Not so much stuff I want to see "return" but I have examples of stuff I like.
I personally like late 70s, early 80s technology. I feel that before Bill Gates and he windows explosion that computer/electronics were a lot more fun(No, I'm not that old...but I've played with some gadgets from that era).

This is why I like to run emulators of old systems like Speccy portable, Atari, and DOS box on my newer Linux computers.

And...
Everything is so "software heavy" now.
The more buttons I have to press, dials I have to turn, the more wires I have to move around, and the more amber lights that light up the better.

TheRockinStallion

If I'm not back in 15 minutes, just wait longer!
Didn't we cover that already? I'M A DUDE!
I'd rather stick with today's tech but I feel like there are some things I could at least tolerate. I always thought cassette tapes were a lot more practical than CDs because they are a lot more durable. Also, I think it's awesome that some record companies are producing vinyl again!! I had a record player when I was a kid in the early 90s and pretty much wore it out.

Dan

Not totally related to the topic, however a technology did "supersede" it.
Traditional animation, I believe all art styles need some representing and there's so little new content that uses this style nowadays. You just can't capture the feel of traditional animation with computer animation, I've seen it attempted and it's not the same. I love watching old cartoons, there's a sundry amount of backgrounds within them that are fantastic to look at and pause the player for.
Maybe we'll see a comeback in the future, but it's doubtful when it's cheaper to use 3D animation. Props to some video games that use sprites still, King of fighters I'm looking at you bud.

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
Space ships that carry people to the moon.

Oh snap.

200_s.gif

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Flip phones. those things were the **** man.
Also Walkmans. I loved those.

And not really tech, but I'd love to have some nice 70's and 80's music back!

Djinn

and Tonic
Catapults, they have a use for absolutely any situation that could ever come up.

The little flippy parts on cell phones, for a brief moment we were that close to owning Star Trek stuff....then they took it away

Denim being used to make things other than pants

Guitars and drums being a part of music again and not digital equivalents that kinda sorta make a similar noise

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Nothing. I'm quite happy with modern technology, and I hope I stay that way so I don't become some old "back in my day!" person.

The pencil.
I am serious here. I think handwriting skills will slowly die when all classrooms are fully paperless and only a computer is used by each student. I do not want this to happen, sure a tech classroom is great but so it handwriting skills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom