• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Puzzles, side quests or games that still kick your butt

No matter how many times I have played a zelda game, there is always at least one or two points in something I can never master.

Example. The Spring Races in MM. I very very rarely ever win that race the first time around. If I do, it's likely a fluke. Because of how much I have to race before getting the gold dust, Once I reach the owl statue at snowhead, I restart time and then slow it so as to finish it around the first night so i can get the first sword made, then spend the rest of the night and most of the second day raging at those cheating gorons!

I also still have tremendous trouble with the Deku Scrub Playground, particularly the second day game. I either do it in the first three days after healing from Deku Scrub form where I just use that time to gather the masks available or during Anju and Kafei as a way to kill time.

1. Horsebark Archery in Ocarina of Time.
**** that is hard. Trying to get the Heart piece and quiver upgrade always takes a while. Just to damn hard.

2. The Goron heart piece on the moon in Majora's Mask. I always find getting that so hard as you need perfect timing to nail all the jumps while rolling.

No one else? Just us? Great. It saddens me that my many years of playing these games and I still can't master certain things in them. Certain? Hahaha! Yeah, no, i pretty much suck at nearly all the side quests that involve racing and precision.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
The ToT logic puzzle in TP. Always need a walkthrough for that. Well... I'm sure I could figure it out but ain't nobody got time fo dat.

Goron Races in MM. Even for the sword upgrade, I don't bother. Too much hassle. not fun.

Snowboarding against Leta in TP. I know there's an easy way to beat her but honestly I've never bothered. It's a heart piece. big whoop. I can assemble all but one by games end anyway.

The Cave of Ordeals TP. again, ain't got no time fo dat.

I can do the Simon Says game with the Skull Kids in OoT and it's worth it for the upgrades, but I always dread doing so. I usually take notes.

Poe Hunting, Hyrule Field OoT. It's a crap chute. I mean, it's doable but you have to approach every poe at precisely the correct direction at exactly the right speed, be quick on the bow and given the slip shot aiming just pray to the golden goddesses your aim is true and you've managed to steer Epona on a steady course before she looses speed.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
The ice blocks in TP and the Temple of time guardian puzzle. Every replay I've done, I have struggled on those. No idea why either.

Oh man the ice blocks!! I forgot about those with a mixture of jack daniels and draino, so thanks for reminding me...

yeah, what do you get for that anyway? it's another heart piece isn't it?

There are two ice block puzzles. One is the ice mansion and another one near hyrule field just off the road that leads to Eldin bridge.

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
I suck at the logical puzzles like the tp forest one and the 'follow the sound' type as well
Please don't take offence Dizzi but I'm genuinely curious about how you get around the follow the sound puzzles???

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
Please don't take offence Dizzi but I'm genuinely curious about how you get around the follow the sound puzzles???
none taken, i have to get someone to help or random guessing (which totally helps when its a long sequence(!) or the walkthroughs which are very helpful!!!!

I remember the days when there was no internet or youtube to help when we get stuck somewhere.

If you're wondering how we got by, well kids, gather round and allow me to beguile you with tales of game books and magazines...

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
The Horseback Archery game in Ocarina of Time gets me every time. That's the only thing that stops me from being able to 100% that game in my sleep.

Moving on to Majora's Mask, there are a few things in this game that always **** me up. The second day of the Deku Scrub playground is one that I always struggle with, and more than once I've had to restart the cycle to finish it. Honey & Darling's shop, more specifically the bomb one (can't remember which day). Once again, I've had to restart the cycle to finish it before. Also, the Clock Town Shooting Gallery I always seem to have trouble with, especially since I usually play with the Wii Classic Controller (although I find it a bit easier in the 3DS version). Then there's also the Goron Races, which usually takes me a couple tries, and the Goron Moon Dungeon, which always takes me lots of tries and endless frustration.

If I don't use a walkthrough, there are still a number of places in Oracle of Ages that give me trouble, most notably Jabu-Jabu's Belly.

This isn't so much a struggle as it is just something with very frustrating RNG, the squid game in The Wind Waker can sometimes take me up to two or three hours to get all the prizes for. Also from this game, though I'm probably alone in this, I always find myself having a lot of trouble lighting the lighthouse on Windfall Island. It often takes me many tries and I usually run out of arrows before I can finally hit it in the right spot to light it. idk why I struggle so much with that, I'm sure I'm not the only one though?

In Twilight Princess, I forget the Boss Key almost every time I play the Lakebed Temple, even nowadays. I love the dungeon, but I do find it to be harder than OoT's Water Temple. I'm probably alone in that. That's part of the reason why I love the dungeon though. Also from that game, the mother ****ing Mini Freezards. God I hate these things. Every single time I encounter them, I get hit and freeze at least two times, and I recall one time, in one room of the Snowpeak Ruins, I got hit by the mini freezards 20 times, in a single room, and if it wasn't for Yeto's Perfect Soup and a Red Potion I happened to have, I would've gotten a game over for it.

And now Skyward Sword... ah Skyward Sword, I love you to death, but some things in you do frustrate me. For example, I always have a lot of trouble with the final Ghirahim fight. The only place I died in that game was against him. In particular, the part towards the end where you have to attack his huge sword often takes me a fair while to get through. Another thing that I struggle with is the Sky Keep puzzle, in which we have to move the rooms around. I've spent a lot of time in that dungeon moving the rooms around, and have spent a lot of time in frustration trying to get through all the rooms. Last but not least, while this isn't something I struggle with, as I find the fight extremely easy, but The Imprisoned is ridiculously annoying to fight, particularly the last two times, because you can't get close to his toes without getting knocked back and taking damage. The fight isn't hard, but this aspect of it is undeniably frustrating.

And of course I have to give an obvious mention to the Cucco minigame in A Link Between Worlds, something I can't even come close to completing. It's unnecessarily difficult.

EDIT: Also I have to give a special mention to the entirety of The Adventure of Link. I've beaten that game once and it was absolute hell trying to do so. I've come back to it a few times since, and have only been able to get as far as the first palace.

Cartoonmaniac

Biggest Zelda fan this side of the South Pole
In Twilight Princess, I forget the Boss Key almost every time I play the Lakebed Temple, even nowadays. I love the dungeon, but I do find it to be harder than OoT's Water Temple. I'm probably alone in that. That's part of the reason why I love the dungeon though.

You're not alone. Lakebed Temple is the only water-themed dungeon I like, and it is harder than Oot's Water Temple. The Water Temple is just way more annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom