• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Studio Ghibli

I do. The title's the same as the movie, and is part of a trilogy.

In order they are:
  1. Howl's Moving Castle
  2. Castle in the Air
  3. House of Many Ways
are the books really that great? I have seen the movie years ago but just recently found out that it was based on books. do they have a lot more content than the actual movie and will I enjoy them?

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
are the books really that great?
I've only read the first one, and that was way back when the movie came out. From memory, there are deviations to the story, and a bit more world building, but Ghibli's adaptation was pretty faithful.
I have seen the movie years ago but just recently found out that it was based on books. do they have a lot more content than the actual movie
I didn't know there were sequels to that book until years later and by then I'd stopped reading fantasy novels so I never bothered with them. From my understanding, they're only loosely connected to each other anyway.
and will I enjoy them?
Diana Wynne Jones' novels were some of my favourites as a kid, so I can't honestly give you an unbiased opinion as to whether or not you'd enjoy it. If you've ever read and liked her Chrestomanci series, then it would probably be worth your time.

To get this thread back on track, I'd like to throw another recommendation into the mix that no one seems to have mentioned yet: Porco Rosso.

I've only read the first one, and that was way back when the movie came out. From memory, there are deviations to the story, and a bit more world building, but Ghibli's adaptation was pretty faithful.

I didn't know there were sequels to that book until years later and by then I'd stopped reading fantasy novels so I never bothered with them. From my understanding, they're only loosely connected to each other anyway.

Diana Wynne Jones' novels were some of my favourites as a kid, so I can't honestly give you an unbiased opinion as to whether or not you'd enjoy it. If you've ever read and liked her Chrestomanci series, then it would probably be worth your time.

To get this thread back on track, I'd like to throw another recommendation into the mix that no one seems to have mentioned yet: Porco Rosso.
I guess I can read the first one and see if I enjoy it and decide about the rest but what do you mean that the books are loosely connected to each other? are they not proper sequels?

Haha I had watched the trailer for this one and didn't know what to think of it, but you say it's good? I'm about to watch grave of the fireflies tonight so if porco rosso is good I might watch that one next

Yes! No one ever seems to mention Porco Rosso when talking about the best Ghibli movies, and I can't see why. Okay, the whole "pig person walks around regular humans with little to no explanation" thing is a bit odd, but I think it's definitely worth the watch. It's just as good as the more popular Ghibli movies.

I love Nauusica of the Valley of the Wind. It, Princess Mononoke, and Spirited Away were all part of my childhood, and the great thing now is that they're still great. They're not only good with nostalgia goggles. They're legitimately good movies, and I still enjoy watching them. I'm looking to expand my Ghible library soon- definitely looking forward to that.

Monja Elisa

Hyrulean Princess
Studio Ghibli.... its a love or hate topic when it comes to movies......
tbh, when i got into anime and anime movies, I truly hated the ghibli kind of graphics..... I didnt get why they made people so ''average styled'' somewhat compared to what they do in normal animes.....
But now, later on having actually watched a couple of ghibli movies... I kinda learnt to love it....
the realistic feel to studio ghibli, from the realistic graphicset to the stories in their movies....
I myself will be the first person to say I havent seen all studio ghibli movies.... not by a long shot... but i did check out a few of hayao Miyazakis movies....
out of there I have a few favorites.......

1. Spirited Away, 2. Whispers of the heart 3.Howls moving castle and 4. My neighbor totoro!

Great movies... i remember before when I was ghibli biased at my most... I made a spirited away Chihiro and haku amv! <3 Its not great... but I do love this couple!

Some underrated ones are Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and a super sad one but classic, Grave of the Fireflies.
And of course, I highly recommend what everyone else has suggested with Howl's Moving Castle being my #2 after Spirited Away.

Some underrated ones are Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and a super sad one but classic, Grave of the Fireflies.
And of course, I highly recommend what everyone else has suggested with Howl's Moving Castle being my #2 after Spirited Away.
is Nausica of the Valley of the Wind really that underrated? I considered it one of the best of the Ghibli movies

If you want fantastic anime movies that are not ghibli i would recommend Makoto Shinkai. Although i must warn you their overall themes are more depressing.

Children-Who-Chase-Lost-Voices.jpg

Djinn

and Tonic
The company really seems to have slowed down quite a bit in recent years. They might be past their prime, especially after Miyazaki leaving (for at least the third time) but a few of the movies he had no part in were good too. I think Ponyo was the last movie they made that I liked, and I did not think it was as good as their previous work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom