• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

VikzeLink's Weekly Sunday Poll 216!

Do you think that there is too much time between the main console Zelda-games?

• Yes, way too long to wait

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Yes, but it's for a good reason

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • No, it's perfectly fine

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • No, I think they come out too often

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't know/care

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Last week's winners:
Last week's Question: In OOT, which main dungeon do you think has the best music?

Third Place: Draw between "Shadow Temple" and "Ganon's Castle" (6.3% each)
Second Place: Draw between "Fire Temple" and "Water Temple" (12.5% each)
First Place: Draw between "Forest Temple" and "Spirit Temple" (31.3% each)

This week's question: Do you think that there is too much time between the main console Zelda-games?

Yes, way too long to wait
Yes, but it's for a good reason
No, it's perfectly fine
No, I think they come out too often
Don't know/care

I picked the don't care category, simply because I'd rather good games be put out over rushed game to meet some arbitary deadline. Quality over quantity is the motto here.
Yes, and delaying it so that it can be a launch title for a system being released too early into the current consoles lifespan is not a good excuse.
If you believe this (and that's totally ok) then the you also believe:
  • The Wii was released too early into the GC's lifespan
  • The GC was released too early into the N64's lifespan
  • The N64 was released too early into the SNES's lifespan
All of them had an approximate 5 year life just like the WiiU has had.

Ambient Nomad

Home Starmy
I might have thought so 15 years ago, but not so much anymore. Now that yearly releases are so damn common from AAA studios, if I'm going to spend full price on a game, I would rather have it be made with care.

Not to mention the fact that more games are coming out now than ever before, AAA and indie. It's not as if we're lacking anything to play.

A game can be made quickly and still be good. I've said it man times before, so once more for those in the back: Do what they did with Majora's Mask. Game one creates the assets, invests all the time. Subsequent game reuses many of those assets to speed production. It doesn't have to be a year, that would be brutal. But two, two and a half years, with a lot of the mechanics and heavy lifting done? Absolutely doable. It can be shorter, more story focused since they'd have more time to focus on narrative.

Salem

SICK
Wii U to NX is less than 5 years.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Yes there is too much time between the console titles. but if we look at the reasoning, it is clear to me that Nintendo does it to access the hidden potential of the console they are developing for....for example, OoT took so long, because it was the first 3D Zelda title and they had to get there bearings with working in three Ds. then MM came along to make use of the expansion pak and was admittedly rushed out the door in a year or so. then what happened later was the wind walker, and that took some time because the gamecube had a brand new ATi interface to work under. later we got twilight princ and that took some time because ojf the artstyle and implementation, then later a porting process to be completed on nintendo revolution. later then we got squidward's word, on the wii, and that took a lot of time because the motion plus accessory was a brand new feature. and now breath of the wind is going to take many times, not only tpo port it to the NX but to get it properly optomized for the powerpc artchitetcure of the wii u and to to insure the game appropriately deals with the feedback receeved from TP TWW and SS dislikers.

D

Deleted member 14134

I picked the don't care category, simply because I'd rather good games be put out over rushed game to meet some arbitary deadline. Quality over quantity is the motto here.

No, it really doesn't mean I believe those things. The PS1 had a lifespan of 6 years (from 94-00) before the ps2 came out. The N64 had a similar lifespan (from 96-01). The PS2 was released in 2000 before being succeeded in 2006, the xbox in 2001 before being succeeded in 2005 and the gamecube in 2001 before being succeeded in 2006. The PS3 and Xbox were not succeeded until 2013 while the wii was succeeded one year earlier. Up until now Nintendo's release schedule has been roughly in sync with its current competitors. By your logic I must also believe that the PS1, PS2 and 360 were released too early into it's previous consoles lifespan. Now Nintendo has decided to go against the market and release another console early. This isn't because they're dancing to their own tune, it's because they messed up with the wii u and its competitors sales are continuing to soar past it. Nintendo only has themselves to blame for this since they didn't make a console that could properly compete with the current generation.

The point is it's the fastest Nintendo ever abandoned a main home console.
Yes the fastest. Not by too much though. That is considering you think every console traansition is an abandonment, which I don't think so. It's just moving on to tje next best and supposedly greatest thing.

No, it really doesn't mean I believe those things. The PS1 had a lifespan of 6 years (from 94-00) before the ps2 came out. The N64 had a similar lifespan (from 96-01). The PS2 was released in 2000 before being succeeded in 2006, the xbox in 2001 before being succeeded in 2005 and the gamecube in 2001 before being succeeded in 2006. The PS3 and Xbox were not succeeded until 2013 while the wii was succeeded one year earlier. Up until now Nintendo's release schedule has been roughly in sync with its current competitors. By your logic I must also believe that the PS1, PS2 and 360 were released too early into it's previous consoles lifespan. Now Nintendo has decided to go against the market and release another console early. This isn't because they're dancing to their own tune, it's because they messed up with the wii u and its competitors sales are continuing to soar past it. Nintendo only has themselves to blame for this since they didn't make a console that could properly compete with the current generation.
My point was you are ok with a roughly 5 year console life for some consoles but not ok with a roughly 5 year console life for other consoles.
Also It's Nintendo who is sticking to the sourse with a roughly 5 year cycle for the WiiU. MS and Sony are bucking the trends with draging out their PS4 and XB1 lifespans with midcycle hardware updates.

Two of the 3 major players have decided to do soemthing different for their home consoles lifespanwise. Nintendo is sticking mostly to the same approx 5 year lifespan.

D

Deleted member 14134

My point was you are ok with a roughly 5 year console life for some consoles but not ok with a roughly 5 year console life for other consoles.
Also It's Nintendo who is sticking to the sourse with a roughly 5 year cycle for the WiiU. MS and Sony are bucking the trends with draging out their PS4 and XB1 lifespans with midcycle hardware updates.

Two of the 3 major players have decided to do soemthing different for their home consoles lifespanwise. Nintendo is sticking mostly to the same approx 5 year lifespan.
I understand that. My point was that I think it's ok if everyone in the market is moving along at the same pace. Nintendo fell behind and now they have to release another console early to try to make up for their mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom