• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Kill Bill: What Are Your Opinions?

Kill Bill: What Are Your Opinions?

• I really love the films, they are two masterpieces!

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • They're good, not the best films I've seen though..

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Neutral

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I don't like the films, although they aren't the worst films I've seen.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I really hate the films, they are just two pieces of crap!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dan

The two volumes of Kill Bill are two of my favourite films of all time. I really like the plot and the effects in those films, and I think Quentin Tarantino has done a grand job directing them. Anyway, I've shown the films to a couple of people since I saw them myself and many have liked them. However, many have also strongly disliked the films. How come?

In this thread I would like you to tell me what you think of the Kill Bill films and why you think that way. I'm especially interested in reading about why you dislike the films if you do.

Feverish

Source of stink
I thought their main focus was action. Which was cool, but I like Tarantino's Inglorious Bastards because it wasn't just focused on action and instead focused on having cool twists. It's nice to have blood fest movies once in a while though

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Of coursse I love Kill Bill and Quentin Tarantino. He has something with Holland and always uses something dutch in his movies :D But besides that Kill Bill was great. I loved both of them.

Misty

Ronin
It might sound strange to say, but I feel like Kill Bills are Tarantino's gimmick (or style) at its worst. It's like he dialed up the violence unbearably and removed most of the amusing, awkward, and absurd dialogue and compelling characters. I enjoy other films by him, but the Kill Bills are lackluster seeming to me.

Strangely, the Kill Bills are the first of his movies I saw. I recall seeing both in theaters even. I enjoyed them alright then, and having an older brother made it fun to run around hitting each other with brooms a lot or whatever else seemed non-killing but good enough for make-believe. It sounds strange to say, but the movies seem perfect for children in that way.

But as an adult, there feels like there is very little to latch onto. Like, don't get me wrong, in most ways, Kill Bills are better technical pieces than say Pulp Fiction...but Pulp Fiction feels like it has a spark, a certain je ne sais quoi that I would argue just isn't in Kill Bill and is what makes watching his movies worth the time.

It's arguably a cleaner film that Inglorious Bastards. But I also cannot think of a really stand out scene...ya know? Like a scene that if I pulled it from the film to show to a friend would make them go "Oh, I get what this guy is all about" or something like that. There are no scenes that I feel like stick with me. Like Inglorious Bastards has the scene in the pub with everyone playing that game and it is just fabulous. Really, truly unforgettable. So many of the scenes in that film are of that level. Kill Bill feels like it has none.

I guess that's ultimately where I land on it: great for kids because it really has cool action and energizes you to hit a sibling with something hard, but not lethal. Otherwise, not particularly memorable or stunning. Perhaps only noteworthy because the genre it is in has been so stagnant for so long.

Ambient Nomad

Home Starmy
I don't begrudge you for feeling that way. I'm probably not capable of looking critically at this movie, so take that for what you will. However, if you needed a scene to explain "what this guy is all about," as you put it, I might recommend this one:

Feverish

Source of stink
It might sound strange to say, but I feel like Kill Bills are Tarantino's gimmick (or style) at its worst. It's like he dialed up the violence unbearably and removed most of the amusing, awkward, and absurd dialogue and compelling characters. I enjoy other films by him, but the Kill Bills are lackluster seeming to me.

Strangely, the Kill Bills are the first of his movies I saw. I recall seeing both in theaters even. I enjoyed them alright then, and having an older brother made it fun to run around hitting each other with brooms a lot or whatever else seemed non-killing but good enough for make-believe. It sounds strange to say, but the movies seem perfect for children in that way.

But as an adult, there feels like there is very little to latch onto. Like, don't get me wrong, in most ways, Kill Bills are better technical pieces than say Pulp Fiction...but Pulp Fiction feels like it has a spark, a certain je ne sais quoi that I would argue just isn't in Kill Bill and is what makes watching his movies worth the time.

It's arguably a cleaner film that Inglorious Bastards. But I also cannot think of a really stand out scene...ya know? Like a scene that if I pulled it from the film to show to a friend would make them go "Oh, I get what this guy is all about" or something like that. There are no scenes that I feel like stick with me. Like Inglorious Bastards has the scene in the pub with everyone playing that game and it is just fabulous. Really, truly unforgettable. So many of the scenes in that film are of that level. Kill Bill feels like it has none.

I guess that's ultimately where I land on it: great for kids because it really has cool action and energizes you to hit a sibling with something hard, but not lethal. Otherwise, not particularly memorable or stunning. Perhaps only noteworthy because the genre it is in has been so stagnant for so long.
say auf wiedersehen to your nazi balls

Feel like I wasted my vote because Kill Bill 1 was one of the very few mind blowing movies I've ever seen in theaters as an adult pretty much, but I really don't care about 2 at all.

Ironically I'm not a huge Tarantino fan but Kill Bill 1 was a masterpiece. That soundtrack too.

Misty

Ronin
I don't begrudge you for feeling that way. I'm probably not capable of looking critically at this movie, so take that for what you will. However, if you needed a scene to explain "what this guy is all about," as you put it, I might recommend this one:

Compare that to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWgHiUZYRSo

or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLCHMutmdYc

I feel like the scene you linked has one job: communicate these people are feared badasses. Which is accomplished fifteen seconds in by music and costume alone. So I have to wonder what the other minute is for because it certainly isn't particularly entertaining or stand-out in any way.

I don't feel like that scene is the sort of scene you could get a person who hated the movie to admit was a good scene pure and simple. I don't even feel like it is the mission statement of kill bill because there isn't gratuitous violence or cool fights with hot babes.

Ambient Nomad

Home Starmy
Heh, yeah, you're probably right. Kill Bill is definitely more style than substance.

Now you're making me want to re-watch Inglorious Bastards. I haven't seen that since it was in theaters.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I like the Kill Bill films. Most people online seem to prefer the first to the second but I prefer volume 2 to 1.

Kill Bill is one of my favorite movies ever. I love all the kung fu, samurai, western and anime movie references it has, as well as the soundtrack and memorable characters.
Vol. 1 may be more style over substance, but it's an awesome style. It's very enjoyable.
Vol. 2 is the one that has more substance than style, and I also like it, it may have much less action, but its dialogue is memorable and I like the character development.

TattooArtist

I'm the B and my boyfriend is the T in LGBT ❤
I think Uma Thurman is an amazing actress in both volumes and I love the anime parts of it but I think there are many films better than this memorable classic

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom