• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Forum Volunteers - Why?

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
What is the purpose of this rank? What do they do?

From my experiences in the Forum Volunteer chat, it's not like people are appointed with jobs, people still volunteer from within these chats. Is there any reason to believe these same people wouldn't volunteer regardless? Most of the Forum Volunteers don't even really do anything. Ex. Pendio and LittleGumball volunteered to take over Dan's contest and suddenly ALIT waltzes in, "check out my rank :^)" and suddenly its his contest, but whether there was a forum volunteer rank or not that's already three people who were going to do it.

Do you need this rank at all?

Thanks for reading!

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
What is the purpose of this rank? What do they do?

From my experiences in the Forum Volunteer chat, it's not like people are appointed with jobs, people still volunteer from within these chats. Is there any reason to believe these same people wouldn't volunteer regardless? Most of the Forum Volunteers don't even really do anything. Ex. Pendio and LittleGumball volunteered to take over Dan's contest and suddenly ALIT waltzes in, "check out my rank :^)" and suddenly its his contest, but whether there was a forum volunteer rank or not that's already three people who were going to do it.

Do you need this rank at all?

Thanks for reading!

While we are at it questioning the rank and all can i get it removed from me please? i don't exactly do much these days (if i ever did anything) and i'm not exactly active now... so kinda pointless to have me about.

As is Jamie does raise a point if we have specific volunteers doing an event why are move wandering in to "help", don't get me wrong fine sometimes a replacement is needed but not three for one thing.

Jamie

Thanks for the responses, staff team!

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
The Forum Volunteer rank on the forum allows access to the Events forum section where we organise logistical elements of different events. The chat also exists, yes. That is discussion about events and general brainstorming for new ideas. This week we have been exploring an idea for an upcoming event.

If members whom are not Forum Volunteers wish to suggest events, that can be done here in this thread. If we decide to take an idea further from there I'm sure we'd be asking the person whom suggested it if they'd wish to be a Volunteer and we'd give them the rank to make the organisation easier.

The discussion had already taken place within the Event Staff chat on Tuesday where it was decided that ALIT would be taking over running the competition. So the way you phrase it there is simply not the way it happened.

I do think something that could be improved is ensuring Event Staff are active, and more regularly changing those involved as people's activity changes.

Jamie

The discussion had already taken place within the Event Staff chat on Tuesday where it was decided that ALIT would be taking over running the competition. So the way you phrase it there is simply not the way it happened.
Alright I'll make sure to tell my friends Pendio and LittleGumball who volunteered to take over the competition before ALIT posted that they have to be event staff to take over someone's event that isn't even in the competitions board. Bit silly, don't you think? Just seems like most Event Staff do **** all (Cthulhu admitted this himself) and when they do do something it's replacing people who wanted to do it before them? I think this is hugely unfair.

DARK MASTER

The Emperor
If @Pendio and @LittleGumball believe they ought to be in charge of more, perhaps with @A Link In Time all three could coalesce in equal responsibility? ALIT is busy with college, so I'm sure he wouldn't mind less work.

@Jimmy perhaps a solution could be to grant that user rank temporarily until their service is complete, then once finished remove it and award a medal for their volunteer work?

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
Alright I'll make sure to tell my friends Pendio and LittleGumball who volunteered to take over the competition before ALIT posted that they have to be event staff to take over someone's event that isn't even in the competitions board. Bit silly, don't you think? Just seems like most Event Staff do **** all (Cthulhu admitted this himself) and when they do do something it's replacing people who wanted to do it before them? I think this is hugely unfair.
The decision was made before either if them posted. I don't see them complaining, they knew the forum volunteer rank was in charge of events like this. Your argument seems rather ironic, too. You complain when they don't do anything and you complain when they do. You are making a mountain out of a molehill. You obviously aren't trying to help, so what are your intentions in the creation of this thread? Your passive agressive posts make it seem like you only seek to create drama. You make it out as if Pendio and LittleGumball can't speak for themselves and it is truly disgusting. Please stop making yourself look foolish. If you have suggestions about how to improve the Forum Volunteer rank please share, but don't create drama from misunderstanding and ignorance. You are being "hugely unfair" to those like Pendio and LittleGumball, who actual take steps to help the community, by making drama and hiding it under "Forum Suggestions and Feedback".

Pen

The game is on!
Most of the Forum Volunteers don't even really do anything. Ex. Pendio and LittleGumball volunteered to take over Dan's contest and suddenly ALIT waltzes in, "check out my rank :^)" and suddenly its his contest, but whether there was a forum volunteer rank or not that's already three people who were going to do it.

I do not think this is a particularly good example to be honest. Note that both Gummy and I merely offered to take over as hosts in case there was nobody else who wanted to do it. Seeing as ALIT actively chose to take over as host for the competition it really wasn't a problem for me (and not for Gummy either I assume) seeing as we had both just offered to help out in case no one else would. Personally I have no problems whatsoever with ALIT hosting the karaoke contest.

Jamie

You obviously aren't trying to help, so what are your intentions in the creation of this thread? Your passive agressive posts make it seem like you only seek to create drama.
No, I find the Forum Volunteer rank to be absolutely pointless. The vast majority of Forum Volunteers do nothing and the rank itself seems useless at best. My point had little to do from the beginning about Pendio and LittleGumball being usurped or something silly and more to do with the fact that three people volunteered anyway. As is clear, people are going to volunteer whether there is a rank or not. Hence the name "Forum Volunteer". Certainly these people would do this regardless, yes? So what is the purpose of the rank other than access to a seldom used subforum?
You make it out as if Pendio and LittleGumball can't speak for themselves and it is truly disgusting.
This is a massive overexaggeration. Because I found issue with how the forum volunteer rank was used in a particular instance, my actions are disgusting? I find things like rape, murder, exploitation, homophobia, racism, etc. to be disgusting, yet here you are so arbitrarily using the word to describe such a minor "transgression".
Please stop making yourself look foolish.
You are being rather rude to me, don't you think? For someone who is purporting an air of superiority, your language certainly doesn't match your attitude. I know that the forum staff and other users who see themselves as the saviours of the community do not like me for whatever arbitrary reasons, but you don't have to so blatantly display it here.
You are being "hugely unfair" to those like Pendio and LittleGumball, who actual take steps to help the community, by making drama and hiding it under "Forum Suggestions and Feedback".
I hope you aren't implying I don't take actual steps to help the community, because that is an outright bold faced lie if you look at my history on this forum.

Where do you get off coming in here and being so blatantly disrespectful to me? If there's anyone whose actions are ironic here, they are yours, for acting like I am being rude and trying to create drama and then flinging this kind of **** at me.

I mean, it's pretty obvious just from the fact that I had to literally prompt the staff to respond after a fairly innocuous opening post that y'all, former staff such as yourself included, don't really like me or take any of my suggestions seriously, since I make plenty of them or even offer to personally help with things and don't even get so much as a response, and I apologize if this fact often makes me angry and causes me to reply sarcastically to various things, but responding back in an equally rude if not much ruder way does little to remedy the situation.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
posted that they have to be event staff

ALIT never said this, he had already offered to take over and planned to take over the competition before these posts. They're not up in arms about this, I think it's a non-issue being blown way out of proportion due to some insecurity that the entire staff team completely and utterly hates you.

I feel as though my previous post summed it up well enough, going forward, we should ensure that people on event staff are active and rotate as we organize new events if required. If people want to run a competition or event I posted a link so that they can share their idea and we can give them the access to make it happen.

I'm not seeing anyone else saying this rank needs to go except yourself, so there is no need for us to remove it. As for the activity, that is something that can be improved, so thanks for the feedback.

Jamie

ALIT never said this, he had already offered to take over and planned to take over the competition before these posts. They're not up in arms about this, I think it's a non-issue being blown way out of proportion due to some insecurity that the entire staff team completely and utterly hates you.
I've posted a few times now that that particular example was nothing but that--an example. I couldn't care less about a single competition, it's the idea of the event staff that bothers me. That being said, perhaps if ALIT had already offered and planned to take it over then he should have posted that prior to when he did? I mean, doesn't that seem like the natural course of action? Of course, everyone gets forgetful and makes mistakes but I think that's something to note in the future.

I do not think the entire staff team completely and utterly hates me. I think extremely large portions of the staff team see me as a trouble maker something or other, which is basically the entire reason I originally created this alternate account instead of waiting out my previous ban--because staff members start to see a user a certain way and then their opinion never changes. Don't forget I spent a huge amount of time in the staff chat and I'm aware of the conversations that go on in there, please don't act like there's not at least reason to be concerned that the staff say negative things about me. Pat Cat's explosion only does more to solidify this belief.

And certainly, if I feel that the staff member's think this way about me whether it is true or not is that not a problem that the staff members should at the very least address instead of just calling me insecure or what have you? I know I'm not the only user who feels that the staff members dislike them--I personally know quite a few more who feel this way and out of respect will not tactlessly list them off but certainly you are aware that this is an issue, and was an issue even when I was staff (I recall a few users leaving for precisely this reason).

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I have no clue what is going on. It seems like @Jamie feels like people see him as someone bad and that he should be avoided. I can't speak for everybody but I personally have no troubles with him at all. He brought in some very good ideas in the past and recent past and if jamie feels wronged or misunderstood he has the right to express himself. I don't think he means it all the way he makes it sound in his post, but frustration and anger can sometimes get the best (or worst) of us. Which is understandable. To me - who isn't that active in events at all- it sounds like more talking needs to be done and the air definitely needs to be cleared up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom