• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild What Are You Looking Forward to the Most in Zelda U?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
The gamepad. Think Starfox Zero.
Oh right, the gamepad. I didn't think of that lol. I know nothing about starfox games but the gamepad could work. I wonder how that would work for the NX though, since we know nothing about that system yet.

It's very immersion breaking. That's not how you aim. It's much more in tune for me to use a thumbstick. The gyroscope is not faster or more responsive than well tuned controls. And this is coming from the guy who snipes the guays at or beyond the max draw distance in TP for fun. I know for some games or some people it's good... but to me it's skidmarked garbage.

Edit: To clarify "that's not how you aim" I mean holding both arms up and rotating around is not the most direct translation of aiming a bow, it violates the sense of kinesthetic projection. That's why I hate it for bow aiming but love it in Fatal Frame.
Pointing with a control stick isn't any more similar to how people actually use a bow than the gyroscope. I actually feel like the gyroscope would be closer since you're holding something and moving it to aim rather than pointing something via joystick that you move with your thumb.

It's interesting how we have such different experiences with it, because in every single Zelda game I've played the gyroscope has been much faster at aiming than any other control scheme, and I've played all the Zelda games except ALttP and FSA. I'm really wondering if you're using the gyroscope function properly if you find it slower than the control stick. Hmm... Well, to each his own, I guess.

Pointing with a control stick isn't any more similar to how people actually use a bow than the gyroscope.
And that's the point. The motion is so far removed, that your brain strips it away and just immerses itself in the doing. Waggling the gamepad around is closer to the right movement, but it creates an uncanny effect where your body knows it's moving but not in the right way, so it finds the motion wrong. I may be cribbing this a bit from Extra Credits' episode on Kinesthetic Projection, but the act of being more physical actually makes it less real and therefor more immersion breaking. Using a thumbstick is so wrote by now that I don't even register it.

As for our difference in the experience, it may have something to do with the fact that I am an actual archer (won or placed in multiple competitions through high school) so my body knows exactly what it's supposed to feel like to aim and fire a bow, so the gyroscope feels almost laughably alien in that regard.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
And that's the point. The motion is so far removed, that your brain strips it away and just immerses itself in the doing. Waggling the gamepad around is closer to the right movement, but it creates an uncanny effect where your body knows it's moving but not in the right way, so it finds the motion wrong. I may be cribbing this a bit from Extra Credits' episode on Kinesthetic Projection, but the act of being more physical actually makes it less real and therefor more immersion breaking. Using a thumbstick is so wrote by now that I don't even register it.

As for our difference in the experience, it may have something to do with the fact that I am an actual archer (won or placed in multiple competitions through high school) so my body knows exactly what it's supposed to feel like to aim and fire a bow, so the gyroscope feels almost laughably alien in that regard.
Hmm. It didn't really feel less immersive to me but I do get what you're talking about. And since you're an actual archer your experience would be a lot more different than mine, To each his own was more on point than I thought lol.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I'm interested how the team will handle the open world.

Most Zelda titles have had an open world that has been [sometimes cleverly, sometimes blatantly] made linear. Truly, Zelda titles are linear games. You do dungeons in a certain order because (a) you need an item to beat a dungeon or (2) you need an item to get to a dungeon. There have been some exceptions to this (for example, you can take on dungeons in different order in The Legend of Zelda and in The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past), but for the most part, the game reins in your exploration via item collecting.

If Zelda Next is to be open-world, then the formula is going to have to give way to open-worldedness. You can't have an open-world game that blocks you off. You can inhibit or discourage progress with enemy placement (e.g., Xenoblade Chronicles), but you can't block off a path with a boulder that you can't destroy unless you have bombs, and not give you access to bombs until after the Xth dungeon. That isn't open-world.

So which of the two aspects is going to give way to the other? Are we truly having an open-world Zelda game, or is it "open-world"?

Last edited:

Salem

SICK
OP, I'm with you there, the exploration aspect is what I'm looking forward the most, the openworld and just finding dungeons and caves and such.

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
Definitely the prospect of a more open and interactive world with non linear game play.

One aspect I hope they change though is the difficulty level. I want to see puzzles that are challenging, enemies/bosses that are hard to defeat, and dungeons that get you frustrated. One of the problems I had with Skyward Sword is that Fi was constantly giving you advice on how to proceed, despite the fact that you never did ask for it because the answer was generally quite obvious to begin with.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Nothing in particular. Just playing a new Zelda is enough. Each console Zelda release is like an event in itself and it will be just great to see the menu and go on an adventure again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom