• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Personal Top 5 Games of All Time

See the title. I need this informal poll because reasons.

Edit: One per series.
You can do better than that. Telling us why is not hard.

My top 5 in any order. (age showing here)

Master of Orion 2
Terranigma
Secret of Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
Quell Momento
Hearthstone

1. Kingdom Hearts: While the second game was a let down and everything since I haven't bothered to play because I really cannot take more terrible iterations of something beloved, the first game really cannot be overrated for how important it was in my life.

This is interesting because, playing through the original right now, I can already see some stark differences between it and the rest of the series. I wouldn't call KHII a letdown personally though; what changed to lose your interest? I feel fairly confident about the direction of the series right now.

Regardless, my personal top 5 without using series:

1.) Final Fantasy X
2.) Super Mario Galaxy
3.) Super Metroid
4.) Megaman X2
5.) Metroid Prime

Pen

The game is on!
Sorry I couldn't narrow it down to just five games so here's my top six instead. There's no specific order to them. ^^

- The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
- Super Mario Galaxy 2
- Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver
- Fire Emblem Awakening
- Kid Icarus: Uprising
- Assassin's Creed Syndicate

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Hmmmm
Not in any particular order but:
Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Oddworld: Abe's Exodus
Xenoblade Chronicles
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario Galaxy 2

Reactions: Pen

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Lot of Mario Galaxy love in this thread.
Well, yeah...
I mean, the Galaxy series were truly imaginative. The level designs were very creative, varied, and fun. The series brings the most polished 3D platformer to date with amazing shifts of perspective. The gravity mechanic of Mario Galaxy truly makes everything amazing, as Mario's jumps and platforming challenges often change in regards to the size and shape of the planet. Not only that, but it shifts your perspective of not only it being a flat plane, but of something with even more depth. Going to other sides of the planet truly makes you think differently of 3D platforming. The Galaxy series has some of the best graphics of any game, despite not being in HD, plus they truly take to heart the theming of the game. Character designs was great, and varied, and added new and old creatures alike to Mario 64.

The only thing that's sort of disappointing, is that there aren't many exploration based levels. However, whenever these levels do occur, they are extremely well made and Fantastic. The whole rest of the game though, is nearly perfection.

Well, yeah...
I mean, the Galaxy series were truly imaginative. The level designs were very creative, varied, and fun. The series brings the most polished 3D platformer to date with amazing shifts of perspective. The gravity mechanic of Mario Galaxy truly makes everything amazing, as Mario's jumps and platforming challenges often change in regards to the size and shape of the planet. Not only that, but it shifts your perspective of not only it being a flat plane, but of something with even more depth. Going to other sides of the planet truly makes you think differently of 3D platforming. The Galaxy series has some of the best graphics of any game, despite not being in HD, plus they truly take to heart the theming of the game. Character designs was great, and varied, and added new and old creatures alike to Mario 64.

The only thing that's sort of disappointing, is that there aren't many exploration based levels. However, whenever these levels do occur, they are extremely well made and Fantastic. The whole rest of the game though, is nearly perfection.

I dont disagree that they're decent games, but hey, it's not the first time I've disliked something that's actually good.

I couldn't get over the games just feeling like tacky corner cutting concepts.

Misty

Ronin
This is interesting because, playing through the original right now, I can already see some stark differences between it and the rest of the series. I wouldn't call KHII a letdown personally though; what changed to lose your interest? I feel fairly confident about the direction of the series right now.

Regardless, my personal top 5 without using series:

1.) Final Fantasy X
2.) Super Mario Galaxy
3.) Super Metroid
4.) Megaman X2
5.) Metroid Prime

It became too much of a button mash fest. The different (cannot remember term) versions of Sora (heroic, elite, magi) were so utterly broken that the latter half of the game is legitimately a joke. All the quick time events made me feel like I wasn't playing as much. They seemed to utterly remove the puzzle solving element that I enjoyed from the previous game. The boss fights were too easy. And there were cut scenes like every other second which made it feel an awful lot like a really high budget and low effort adventure game or interactive movie.

The world itself also began to feel stretched with the addition of nobodies. Worse still, the first quarter of the game is spent not playing Sora. I have no real issue with Roxas, but he just wasn't what I signed up for hero wise. The worlds they chose to revist didn't feel different enough and the worlds they added seemed rather ill-conceived. The story itself didn't have as straight-forward a through line, which ordinarily I would like if it were well-executed, but in this case it just seemed jumbled together without rhyme or reason.

Finally, I was very put out by the fact that they then went to hand-held gaming for everything. I don't personally enjoy handheld gaming these days and it just seemed like a terrible choice for the franchise as a whole.

1. Final Fantasy VII
  2. Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection
  3. Starcraft 2
  4. Resident Evil 1 Doom PSX
  5. Metal Gear Soild
Picking only 5 so hard.

Last edited:
Well, yeah...

All except for the grandmaster galaxy in SMG2. That level needs to die in a fire. It's just not fun, 1000x harder than the rest of the game and a reak kick in the crotch to anyone who needs that last stage (with only one life point) to 100% the game. The comet version of this stage is the only one I could not beat. I tried about 100x over then I gave up. Just too hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom