• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link tend to have magic?

DeadGuyL

Fierce Deity
in many games such as: a link to the past , triforce heroes etc .. Link can use magic without the help of the great fairy , but I was wondering if link had tendency to this because the wiki said that Hylians can use magic and link in Ocarina of time have to talk to the Great Fairy so I am with this doubt .

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
Well typically it's said that Hylians are magical, yet in many instances the only ones who seem to be able to produce magic without help of any secondary item or piece of equipment are people like sages and Zelda. While Link, usually needs somekind of item like a magical rod or a magical sword. That said, in cases like with the magical spells in OOT Link can use them with ease, so perhaps, as just speculation, all Hylians can use magic as a basic skill, but some, namely those who are deeply connected to it, can use it more so and in a more skilled manner.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
Well typically it's said that Hylians are magical, yet in many instances the only ones who seem to be able to produce magic without help of any secondary item or piece of equipment are people like sages and Zelda. While Link, usually needs somekind of item like a magical rod or a magical sword. That said, in cases like with the magical spells in OOT Link can use them with ease, so perhaps, as just speculation, all Hylians can use magic as a basic skill, but some, namely those who are deeply connected to it, can use it more so and in a more skilled manner.
I somewhat agree with this. I believe all Hylians have a capacity for magic. Some items help enhance that skill. It's just like any skill in real life, some people are really good at something, while other aren't so good. The reason Link has to visit the Great Fairies, or the wise men, depending on the game, is because Link hasn't really studied magic, so they help to draw out that hidden potential for magic.

Djinn

and Tonic
I imagine it's like any typical fantasy setting. Anyone has the potential to do magic, but only a few actually apply themselves enough to be capable of it and do it.

The first Link had to be taught magic, he had nothing in LoZ but did have an impressive collection of magic stuff that worked well enough for him.

It's easy to miss but in WW Link did not have a magic meter at all until he was given the Deku Leaf, then one appeared. This might be why other Links had nothing like that, they never obtained any item that worked off magic so they never had any growth in the skill. Since there was no need they never bothered.

Honestly the series seems to imply humans in general are "magical", but some are better at it than others. (If I remember right, the two witches from OOT were Gerudo.) Just that alone suggests a variety.

As far as Link goes, it always seems that the heroes that pick up magic do so as part of their adventure. They never seem to start with the ability. So for the ones (like TP-Link) that never pick up magic? I just assume their adventures simply didn't call for learning it.

Skunk

Floof
Considering that to the majority of the Hylian population magic isn't strange or obscure, I'd say most Hylians probably can use simple magic of some kind. What that means, I'm not exactly sure(because Nintendo has shown us), but the reason I distinguish the magic that most Hylians can do is that the magic Link receives from items or Great Fairies or by other special means is different. Most of these items seem to be unique, as we don't see other Hylians, or really even enemies with many of these magics, have the same magical abilities. So the magic Link gets is just another part of his Zelda-saving arsenal, beefed up by Great Fairies or magical dungeon chests of power. His more powerful magical abilities also could have some tie to the Triforce, but that's kind of hard to tell.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
The new game has spells again, this time gained from finding magic orbs in dungeons that teach you specific spells. So once again magic items.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I think all Hylians have the potential to do some magic but it would need to be taught to them how to utilise it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom