• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Wildlife Trade/Exotic Pet Trade

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
My slow loris thread got me thinking: http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/threads/the-slow-loris.55856/#post-1014294

What's your views on the Animal trade, specifically the Wildlife Trade/Exotic Pet Trade.

To me i don't give a damn what the justification is, it's flat out wrong and sadistic to keep animals caged and bred for the trade not to mention the wild ones are then captured and forced into this.

Many species are dying out because of this trade, such as the Slow Loris for instance.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I don't think we should be contributing to the decline in numbers of endangered animals.

I must say that a lot of people only seem to care about animal welfare of cute or exotic animals though. Farmed animals such as chickens, pigs and cows are often also locked in tight cages, deprived of light and given torturous existences and this is on a huge scale. And many of those who are outraged by the exotic pet trade dont seem to mind about that.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Oh nice there's a thread for this now?

I have a pigmy hippo I'm willing to sell. $6500 + shipping costs. Make sure you have a good environment for it. Here's my ghost email so the feds can't track me:
[email protected]

Reactions: Dio

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I'm mostly talking for the UK here.

It's pretty terrible in general. The majority of vets here are primarily run first hand as businesses, giving out overpriced medication which isn't even needed in some cases. Rescues centres here are constantly at max capacity, and won't take in some animals if they don't meet a criteria due to taking too long to rehome, black cats being one example as people don't want a "boring" black cat. In general animals are sought after for their looks and age, rather than their personalities which is a huge problem as so many people can't look after the animal if it becomes too much for them. At the cat sanctuary I work at we try to match the right cat for the right person. We generally don't want to rehome a kitten with an old person as we receive so many calls about elderly owners dying or going into care and the cat having no where else to go. When people visit the sanctuary we make sure the elderly are aware of this, which isn't an easy subject to converse.

Animals sanctuaries aren't all innocent either though unfortunately, some of which are more interested in statistics than the animals themselves. It's not difficult to shout "we rehomed x amount of animals this year aren't we amazing" if you only take in the easily rehomable colours and breeds, so it may be best to do a little research into the rescue before you adopt.

What's scary is so many people are ignorant of the facts above. It's not taught in schools and never really touched upon anywhere else. The major problem is people seem to see pets as walking stuffed animals, they don't realise that all animals are different and will need a PROPER upbringing.

So with the above said I think you'll my thoughts on exotic pets is pretty self explanatory.

Deus also makes a good point about farm animals too yo.

RSPCA in wales isn't bad, they do rescues for everything now and the vets here will charge according to procedure and are flexible in that way, as in it's not too bad unless your pet needs major surgery then it's a quick £200.

Back on topic. What really bugs me is the low standards they don't give a rats ass about the animals which is unfair in the long run to the animals and the short run the idiot that buys the poor beast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom