• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should collecting hearts go?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Link has been collecting hearts to replenish his health for a long time now but they are rarely required due to the ease of the games and hearts never get low these days anyway.

I would propose that the current system would be altered and a self replenishing heart system would take its place. The combat would be designed around that and avoiding getting hurt in battle for long enough to replenish the hearts would become a big part of combat. Things would be faster paced and more difficult, due to more aggressive foes. Effective use of defense would need to be employed by the player to recover themselves.

Potions could still play a role in terms of making link take less damage and heart containers would still exist, the health bar would still look like traditional hearts yet collecting them would no longer happen.

Would you like to see this kind of replenishing health system or do you like the collecting of health?

Isn't that kind of what Hero Mode does? Sounds quite like it apart from the self repleneshing thing. To answer the topic question though, yes, I would definitely enjoy that and play Hero Mode whenever I can.

Like just a solid health bar? It sounds kinda weird but really hearts are nothing but a health bar anyway and collecting hearts takes the place of leveling.

I don't want self replenishming hearts though theres no need for that.

So no, I'm happy with the heart system. Just maybe having to find fewer pieces of hearts

Dan

I would argue that maybe it would be best for the heart to take a hike. At least developers wouldn't have to accommodate difficulty to predicted amount of hearts collection. Of course they have to be replaced with some other method of reward.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Like just a solid health bar? It sounds kinda weird but really hearts are nothing but a health bar anyway and collecting hearts takes the place of leveling.

I don't want self replenishming hearts though theres no need for that.

So no, I'm happy with the heart system. Just maybe having to find fewer pieces of hearts

It could look like hearts still but it would remove any collection of them to replenish the meter. They even put down stools in SS for the player to sit on and restore their health, it just streamlines things to not have to collect them and because it would replenish itself, enemies could be made harder and you'd basically have to survive long enough for it to replenish during a big fight.

It could look like hearts still but it would remove any collection of them to replenish the meter. They even put down stools in SS for the player to sit on and restore their health, it just streamlines things to not have to collect them and because it would replenish itself, enemies could be made harder and you'd basically have to survive long enough for it to replenish during a big fight.

Self replenishing hearts sounds like it would make it easier. Let's face it, only the handhelds get truly challenging bosses these days.

Definitely not.

Collecting heart pieces has always been kind of side quests in the series, and also it looks a lot cooler when you have more hearts and find some hidden pieces.
Removing them would make Zelda just more like a clone of other games, I say the game should keep it's unique stuff forever and never let them go,

Djinn

and Tonic
I always thought replenishing health in modern games was easymode. Zelda games do a decent enough job of leaving hearts almost everywhere and you strategically fill bottles for the same reason.

But if there was one thing that is traditional Zelda enough for me to want to stick around is the hearts health system. Mute Link can go, I can do without the triforce, Ganondorf, and weapon collecting but I want the hearts.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I think the hearts should stay. It's just part of the Zelda series. Keeping something because it's always been that way is not necessarily a good reason to keep something, but in a case like this, I don't think it actually hurts the gameplay. In fact, I always thought that being shot 100 times and then just resting behind a wall to recover health was very strange. Not that we're going for realism here, or anything, but it really didn't seem realistic.

Of course, cutting grass for health isn't realistic either. So in this case, we should just stick with what we have. If it ain't broke, after all...

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
What would be the difference between this, and just making the enemies smarter and make the hearts drop less frequently? I enjoy collecting hearts, but if some want more difficulty than this can simply be done through the use difficulty options.

D

Deleted member 14134

I'd rather have something more like hero mode in Skyward Sword where there is more emphasis on what kind of potions and defenses you bring with you. Nintendo also need to make tougher enemies as the game goes on. No, we don't need the same enemies to just get smarter, they need to get tougher, be able to take more hits and gI've more damage. It doesn't matter how smart that bobokin is if I can just suck it into an inescapable comb the second the fight starts.

Also hero mode needs to be available from the start. None of this beating the game to unlock difficulty options bull****. I'm an adult. I've been playing zelda for 15 years. I don't need to play on easy mode to figure out how the game works.

Reactions: Dio

Salem

SICK
I prefer if bosses never give you heart containers and you can only extend your heart containers by searching for heart pieces.

Self replenishing hearts in the other hands, no thanks please.

Link has been collecting hearts to replenish his health for a long time now but they are rarely required due to the ease of the games and hearts never get low these days anyway.

I would propose that the current system would be altered and a self replenishing heart system would take its place. The combat would be designed around that and avoiding getting hurt in battle for long enough to replenish the hearts would become a big part of combat. Things would be faster paced and more difficult, due to more aggressive foes. Effective use of defense would need to be employed by the player to recover themselves.

Potions could still play a role in terms of making link take less damage and heart containers would still exist, the health bar would still look like traditional hearts yet collecting them would no longer happen.

Would you like to see this kind of replenishing health system or do you like the collecting of health?
Looks like you just described Zelda 2:Adventure of Link pretty well there.
No hearts, a solid health bar and you have to avoid damage for a while till you find a fairy or have enough magic for the heal spell. Also the combat is pretty fast paced and yo uhave to use your defences (spells and shield) well to survive.

Seriously if you removed collectable hearts entirely it'd just feel like dark souls. Actually that would be a nice challenge mode. To beat each dungeon with no collectable heart pickups at all. Each one would be a separate challenge. Something for the pros to get into. Also it's not wreck the original game. Zelda games are meant to be more fun than hard. I quite like this as I just want to have fun in Zelda games, not be dark souls challenged in them. A few tough as **** challenges you can do totally separate to the main game would satisfy all the people who want a harder Zelda experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom