• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Are You Thoughts on the Zelda Universe Community?

What word best describes ZU

• Nice website

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Terrible, Toxic, Tacky

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Meh

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dan

So I'm rather interested in this topic as of late and would like to get to the core of it, much like the wasp that eats away at the apples.
I have not been to ZU much my self but personally it doesn't seem as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

Apart from their broken layout, they seem to have a really solid caring community.
Has anyone else had much experience at ZU?

It's not as good as ZD, of course, but it's still a good solid community. And not as bad as I expected.
And I've had a lot of experience there, I was one of the first ZDers there, and I was a member a couple years ago too.

Malia

Passive aggressive custom rank B)
Lol

Yeah, 10 years exp here haha.

I'll just start with what I don't like; the software lol. Burning Boards is a piece of ****, and the current layout is horrendous. Sure, it has some nifty features, but all in all it's not user-friendly, bloated and the implementation was horrid. To be fair, there wasn't a lot of time to prep for it because vb just up and died suddenly?? But uh yeah, it's been a year since then so excuses are like nope at this point. Also, this isn't so much a reflection of the community as much as it is a reflection of some decisions by management lol, which is really where most of my >_> lies.

Further, going on the above point, activity has dropped a fair bit because of not-user-friendly software, and horrendous amounts of downtime, like really now, I feel like we spent more than half of last year waiting for the site just to return to its normal state lmao. Again, though, I recognise this isn't so much a community issue, though it certainly is a community complaint that's cried through the halls on a regular basis lol.

What I do like includes a lot of the community activities, like the Mafia community there is solid as hell, wonderfully creative and super-enthusiastic, and I adore them to bits. Further, I participate in a D&D campaign run by a really talented ZUer. There's also a Karaoke Thread that's stupid amounts of fun lol. I'm part of the Farore clan, and they're a crazy group of sons of *****es that I love. There's also a tag thread I enjoy (ie you answer a random question in a video, and then tag someone else with a question, and the cycle continues). I have an artsy thread there too that I update with comics and random sketches. Oh, and I take part in 2 or 3 RPs. So on the activity side of things, I'm fairly active.

Also, I've been to several meet-ups which include in Australia, Canada and the US, so some friends I've made there have absolutely been worth traveling to. I was in NY last year where I met up with some ZUers, and I'm actually due to go to Canada come May to attend some anime expo with some ZUers!

It's not all sunshine and rainbows, though; there are certainly members who dislike me haha in that I've had people make alt accounts so that they could post racist comments about me, and I've been shown logs of people ****-talking who otherwise act really nice to my face. But like, I don't think any of this is exclusive to ZU or whatever; I think that's just people being people, like put a group of human beings in a room and **** like this is bound to happen. So sure, there are some nasty members, right up there with the ones I'm 100% loyal to.

On the staff side of things, I was the Fun Police for 4 - 5 years (which is actually why I signed up to ZD; I wanted to be part of a Zelda community where I didn't have to enforce rules lol). I retired from Head Admin like... 2 months ago? And now I focus entirely on community activity since that's pretty much where my heart lies. I like people, and I like thinking up creative ways for people to have fun, pretty much!

All in all, if I said anything less than "I like it there a lot" having been there for 10 years, then I'd be a goddamn moron LOL. But I do like it there a lot. It's fun. Management is what gets me the most, but lol whatcha gonna do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: Dan

Dan

Lol

There's also a Karaoke Thread that's stupid amounts of fun lol.
Also, I've been to several meet-ups which include in Australia, Canada and the US, so some friends I've made there have absolutely been worth traveling to. I was in NY last year where I met up with some ZUers, and I'm actually due to go to Canada come May to attend some anime expo with some ZUers!

Oh that's really rubbing it in! Me and Djinn have desired a karaoke competition here for years, where's you guys have a general thread for it, I'm so jealous.
We also attempted to have a ZD meetup in Canada this year but that feel through.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Oh that's really rubbing it in! Me and Djinn have desired a karaoke competition here for years, where's you guys have a general thread for it, I'm so jealous.
We also attempted to have a ZD meetup in Canada this year but that feel through.

Perhaps you could host the ZD Karaoke competitions Dan.

Dan

Perhaps you could host the ZD Karaoke competitions Dan.

I actually had intended to create a thread regarding such an event. Not sure if I should wait after the merge as participation for events in general is at an all time low. We were also thinking of having it nearer Christmas time since karaoke and Christmas go hand in hand.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I was on the ZU staff eight years ago. I was a news poster. I didn't like it in there. I felt the mods were incredibly abusive. They were doing all sorts of crazy things. That was a big reason why I left. There were two more reasons. One was I simply hated news posting in general. And the last was that Jason hired me for it on false pretenses and had a dishonest agenda.

But... that was eight years ago after all. People change, who makes it up can change, and I don't know anything about the people that make it up now. But one thing has not changed. Today, just as it was eight years ago, the layout is eye-bleedingly bad. And in fact it's only gotten worse in the latest forum software it's running on. Seems like that's something people are generally agreeing on.

Dan

I didn't mind their previous layout. It certainly wasn't the most practical of layouts but it wasn't that bad and looks kinda pretty. :I

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I sometimes lurk but never joined. I think every community have their flaws and good stuff. We have been horrible and great. That counts for most communities. What does sadden me a bit (but doesn't surprise me though) is how some communities have been steady for a while and then slowly lose all their members being active. And all you see is a ghost from a distant past. Sometimes changes can break a forum like it did to LOTR.net years ago. I had an amazing time there so many changes made the community leave. Plus the horrible server issues were debet to it as well. Like the site could go down and took like 8 hours or longer to be back and all posts were not once or twice but even 10 times posted in a row. Lol, those great old days :P

I don't think ZU is a horrible community. From what I've seen it's a very decent site but for some reason i just never liked to become a member.

Reactions: Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom