• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link, by You.

Links Brother

I am Links older Brother!
Link sort of does have a bit of a personalty but if I had to do something like you did I would say he is a brave and kind kid that will do everything for what is right. We kind of get this impression anyway.

ZeldaOcarina

Princess of Hyrule
Link's personality is revealed more in later games, but he isn't as defined as most modern game characters.
I tend to think of child Link more like a child. He is fearless, almost to the point of recklessness. He knows how to make the right choices, and wants to help others, but is also intrigued by adventure. As adult Link, he is more mature, and his actions are more calculated. He isn't going to save Hyrule to go on an adventure, he is going to do it because he knows he needs to help. Although, I'm sure adult Link still enjoys adventure. Child Link probably has more basic emotions; such as he can feel sad or such, but his feelings would be deeper as an adult.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
This isn't what I personally think about the different Links, but they're somewhat plausible.

OoT Young Link
This little kid is exactly that – a little kid. Really, he'll do anything of what people tell him to do. He has no sense of right or wrong, evidenced by his witless finding the spiritual stones and opening the Door [to Darkness]. As ZeldaOcarina said, he does have basic emotions but he doesn't know how to apply them.

OoT Adult Link
Having spent 7 entire years comatose or near to it, he probably is still somewhat of a child though not to the extent he was 7 years ago. I believe he has a better sense of right or wrong, and ultimately he'll do what is needed of his destiny as a hero. That's not to say he doesn't mess around occasionally; too often has he gone to the Archery Minigame back in Kakariko.

MM Link
A world renown hero, MM Link in my imagination is a cold, distant person. Having seen darkness in the eye, that has likely done a number on his personality. Despite his appearance as a 10-12 year old boy, I'm sure he's adopted the demeanor of an adult, from giving death threats to anyone who gets in his way to doing what seems right...to him. I see him as going in any number of paths; he purposefully chooses to abandon the present to return to the past, just to get a kick out of it. What's it to him, he can replay the events all he likes!

TWW Link
A kid in all respects, after all he IS just growing up.

TP Link
More on the lines of an adult, more adult than OoT Adult Link. He has some obscure bottles in his basement which could mean any number of things. He is seemingly more astute and knowledgable in many fields. Had he chosen to, I'm certain he could become Prince or even King of Hyrule.

Link is clueless (that's why he doesn't have the triforce of wisdom) and kindhearted (which is why he doesn't have the triforce of power) but his ignorance to danger (ergo triforce of courage) heps him along his quests. He is very charismatic & charming, especially towards the lady's (wether human or animal). He tends to keep to himself, probably because he's an orphan, but that doesn't stop him from being the most popular legend of his people.

I always see him as being innocent, maybe a bit naive in the start. Of course as the game progress he learns and grows. I see him as sheltered, especially in games like OoT where he has spent his whole life in the forest. When he travels he is filled with awe and wonder at the beauty and vastness of Hyrule.
He is righteous, he always does what he thinks is right. Sure he makes mistakes but never does he do anything without the best of intent. He is filled with good and can never lose that goodness.
Of course there are differences among the individual Link's but I see it this way for the most part.

Jedizora

:right:
That's the point. Link has no personality, because the developers wanted link to be, well, a link to the player. It was a good idea, to save the idea of link so that the player still has there own idea of link, and at the same time gving him a personality, that of the player. If that didn't make sense, then look at it a bit deeper.

LOGANITE

The Legend of Time
I agree. Thats why I made this thread, to see what he was in other players eyes.

onidarklink2

An Hero of our Time
I always pictured Link being kind of timid and reserved. He rushes into danger& challenges without really taking his own well-being into consideration, and has no problem helping out other people, although sometimes he may not think things through enough. While he does what he does mainly to help other people and to undermine evil, he also lives/adventures for himself, as seen after the events in Ocarina of Time when he went on an entire adventure just to find Navi, and when he basically destroyed Koholint Island and all of its inhabitants so he could wake up and return to his own realm in Link's awakening. He probably does have feelings for some of the women/girls he encounters throughout his journey, and does fell hatred and anger at his enemies, but does little to act upon his emotions and does not let them interfere w/ his quests.

Ganondork

goo
I disagree with that statement actually. Link has personality, he's just a silent protagonist. It kind of sounds like you're saying he has no personality simply because he never speaks. Think about quiet people in real life; they have personalities, they are just shy around others. I don't believe Link to be shy, but he just may not have very much to actually say about anything. There are actually points where he speaks, but the game blanks it out when he does. One example is when Link is filling (I think) Ilia in on everything that's happened, it goes black and then she looks confused (this is because she has amnesia).

But even though he is quiet, he does have an obvious personality. Actions speak louder than words. He fearlessly battles villain after villain without thinking about the negatives, or even dying - at least out loud he doesn't. He must have a personality in order to basically be a functioning person in society. In Twilight Princess he must have a great personality; Colin looks up to him, Beth has a crush on him, and the entire town of Ordon adores him. It's not because he sits in the corner doing nothing, it's because of his great personality.

In the earlier games he doesn't show very much of his personality, but that's simply because characterization was a tough thing to do in the late 80's, early 90's. However, in Kakariko in A Link to the Past (and even in the outskirts of the town) everybody seems to know Link's name. They all greet him happily, too. This shows he has a personality in both 2D and 3D.

Link has a personality, it is just downplayed so the player can project themselves in his shoes better.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
OoT Young Link
This little kid is exactly that – a little kid. Really, he'll do anything of what people tell him to do. He has no sense of right or wrong, evidenced by his witless finding the spiritual stones and opening the Door [to Darkness]. As ZeldaOcarina said, he does have basic emotions but he doesn't know how to apply them.

I wouldn't say he'd just do what anyone told him to do. While there was no real sense of a character for Link in OoT (especially as a child), he clearly had a sense of justice from the start.

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
Link was a character created so that we could easily project ourselves into the game without bounds -- that is why he doesn't have a very obvious personality and also does not talk.

Every player is entitled to give Link a personality, but only within a certain margin of error. Because he holds the Triforce of Courage and faces hundreds of enemies without showing evident fear, I doubt that Link could ever be labeled as a coward. (The sad thing is that I've actually seen this happen in some fanfictions.) While he might not be fearless, I'm sure we can all agree that he is brave. Even as a child (OoT and TWW specifically), he has faced a countless amount of monsters and still proved victorious.

There are also some things that the developers labeled him as. They said that he was humble and brave; therefore, Link would never be the one to boast about his accomplishments or walk around Hyrule thinking that he is the greatest guy to ever live.

That said, there are a few traits that I personally assigned him. I believe that he is selfless, which is why he would put up with people like Midna (who was very mean to him in the beginning) so that he could do what is right overall instead of just doing something for his own personal gain. He's quiet (he doesn't speak in the games XD) and says only what's necessary. He can also be a little naive at times, and he'll always want what's best for everyone; sometimes he feels bad when he can't make everyone happy.

Basically, my Link is like the Link we see in the Ocarina of Time manga by Akira Himekawa. :)

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I wouldn't say he'd just do what anyone told him to do. While there was no real sense of a character for Link in OoT (especially as a child), he clearly had a sense of justice from the start.
And where did that come from? All I noticed was that he had bad dreams, and from then an orb of light came and told him to see the Deku Tree. Perhaps I may be applying fanfiction terms, but I would say that one order fed the fire in Link which gave him that perceived sense of justice. After being told to see the "Great" Deku Tree, which I assume he did gladly being an outcast among the Kokiri, he paid no attention to detail when the Tree asked him to listen – he simply listened.

It's hard to say in the games but the mangas portray his character as being a mixture of different things depending on what form he was in (young, adult ect)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom