• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favourite video game mods

Dan

Logged into Steam today to see this:
XjskXrJ.png

I was bi-curious how old mega drive games running on an emulator would receive Steam workshop support.

For the first time ever Sega are actually supporting the huge library of community made mods of classic Sega titles. That's just awesome, although if you want to be legal lee you'll obviously have to play it through there not so great emulator, but it's certainly a start.

1ggnxlo.png

So I was interested in what people can recommend in terms of video game mods, there's so many out there. No it doesn't have to be a Sega rom hack, it can be anything!

Sonic The Hedgehog Megamix:
New levels, plenty of playable characters with different abilities. Awesome level design.
rVGO4Tq.png
ovKPlfG.png

Honourable mention goes to Sonic The next level with its acid trip boss:

Skyrim Laugh track mod because all games need a laugh track

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I liked the Better Faces mod for Morrowind. There was also one I created myself (back in my PC days) where I got rid of cliff racers altogether from the game. Generally, I don't like mods. I've seen some for Fallout 3 that are just outright stupid.

I know the big draw of PC gaming is the modding community, but it just isn't for me.

Although technically, Counter Strike was a Half Life mod, so without modding we would have never had the best online shooter of all time ;)

Reactions: Dan

Dan

I liked the Better Faces mod for Morrowind. There was also one I created myself (back in my PC days) where I got rid of cliff racers altogether from the game. Generally, I don't like mods. I've seen some for Fallout 3 that are just outright stupid.

I know the big draw of PC gaming is the modding community, but it just isn't for me.

Although technically, Counter Strike was a Half Life mod, so without modding we would have never had the best online shooter of all time ;)

I know what you mean, there are some pretty ridiculous mods that don't serve much purpose other than an ounce of humour.
There are however some incredible mods that people put huge amount of hours into transforming the game sometimes into something better than the original.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
My preferred type of mods are ones that add things to the game that should have been in the game in the first place.
My favorite overall has to be one for Morrowind. It used to be a top rated, highly downloaded mod back on Planet Elder Scrolls before that place imploded. Now it's a bit hard to find and is rather obscure. Melian's Teleport Mod. It introduces a fast travel system into the game that both fits the lore and fits in seamlessly with the existing game. It doesn't look tacked on and it's not hand-holdy like the lazy map-based fast travel in later TES and Fallout games. What it does is change the game's already existing, but severely limited, fast travel system, the mark and recall spells. In the original game, you could mark a location with mark, and then use recall to instantly travel to it, using magicka, no matter where you were. A common place to put it was right next to the Creeper so you could travel to him and sell things if you got overencumbered.

What the mod does is make it so you can have as many marked locations as you wanted. You could name them whatever you want and you picked one from a list when you used recall. It even made travelling with followers easier as it has the ability to have them travel with you. No marks were given for you, you had to physically go to each location you wanted to mark and cast the spell. but it actually had more freedom than the later map-based fast travel because you specified the exact point you arrive at, even in buildings, and you could mark it at any location you want. If you don't want free reign to make as many marks as you want. there's a mod by Abot which limits the number of marks you can make based on your attributes and skills.

I love it because this is what fast travel should be. Open and flexible, but not given to you, holding your hand the whole way (you still have to find the mark and recall spells on your own and train your skills enough to effectively cast them), and made sense in the context of the game. Whereas all the map-based fast travel in later games shatters the forth wall and doesn't even try to explain what's going on.

Skunk

Floof
The Unique Landscapes mods for Oblivion are pretty neat. Also the mod that expands Fallout 4's dialogue trees to give a better sense of what you're saying is nice.

ectoBiologist

Still Fandom Trash
Mods are awesome in my opinion. I haven't downloaded any mods for any games in the past, so I don't have any favorites, but I do like the concept of modding. It helps bring out the fullest potential of a game, increases replay value greatly, and gives the community a chance to be creative.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Oh, I forgot. Special mention goes to the collaborative unofficial patch projects each Bethesda game gets. Morrowind would have been unplayable without it. They're such a given that I forget to appreciate them. If you put aside graphics (because it's no contest), getting these patches was the single greatest advantage PC versions of Bethesda games had over console games. And now the console versions will start getting it too. Now we don't have to wait for lazy Bethesda to inevitably ignore fix several bugs.

I've gotten a bit obsessive with the Witchery mod for Minecraft. Along with being huge and frequently updated, I'm way behind on it in fact, it's just so in depth with the theme. It doesn't just make it up or pick one interpretation. It blends elements from real world Witchcraft, fairy tales, legends and folklore, and even a smidge of Harry Potter. I just really like the fact that they really showed their work and got creative with the theme.

Also someone did a Berserk mod for Mount and Blade. I'm not that big on Mount and Blade, but by tweaking the mods files it did let me play as Puck with a floating zweihander... that was fun to mess around with a while. I wouldn't call it a favorite, but definitely memorable.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I used to mod San Andreas. I had the moon as the Majoras Mask moon and went flying around as Ganondorf performing the Kamehameha on everything I could.

I did some hex code editing of Soul Calibur 5 also so that I was no longer limited by the in game character creator. I accidentally made a 200ft character once. You can't actually see the result of your editing until you actually import the data into your Xbox so it was trial and error with the height thing.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
If we're counting fan remakes, I'd say Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe was one of the best. It was a game I loved from the 90s but it began aging rather poorly as it had a number of bugs and odd limitations. then the Transport Tycoon Deluxe Patch was created and it fixed so many issues but that eventually hit a wall and couldn't be taken any further either. And then the game was completely recreated by fans and this remake has been getting regular updates for 13 years. It's very good. And even has a strong modding base where you can actually download mods for the remake. Here's the link if you're interested:
https://www.openttd.org/en/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom