PDA

View Full Version : Ocarina of Time Which first, Shadow or Spirit?

Axle the Beast
12-08-2008, 12:28 AM
I don't know if anyone else knew this...

But I was playing through OoT recently. Of course you know that the order you do the Temples in (once you go to the future) is Forest, then Fire, then Water...

But did you know you can do the Shadow and Spirit Temples in either order?

I had the theory for a little bit, and I decided to try it out this playthrough. You can do the Gerudo Fortress right after the Water Temple, but you can't get through the Haunted Wasteland (in order to reach the Spirit Temple) until you get the Lens of Truth from the Bottom of the Well. But you can still do the Spirit Temple before the Shadow Temple. The order I did it in was:

Gerudo Fortress --> Bottom of the Well --> Spirit Temple --> Shadow Temple

Now, there's a few things I noticed...

The Spirit Temple is more interesting in that there's more talking. You meet Nabooru, then Twinrova. And Twinrova talks alot. But in the Shadow Temple, the whole thing is harder, and Bongo Bongo is widely considered the hardest boss in OoT, an opinion I agree with. Also, the way Impa talks when she becomes a Sage, it's almost as though they intended her as the last Sage for you to rescue.

Not to mention that the Shadow Medallion, and the Nocturne of Shadow, are listed before the Spirit Medallion and the Requiem of Spirit on the Quest Status Subscreen.

So, all in all, it really seems like you're intended to do the Shadow Temple last, but everywhere I go, everyone does the Spirit Temple last.

And once again, there's so much more happening, and more plot involved, when you do the Spirit Temple...

Thoughts?

Josh
12-08-2008, 12:31 AM
I don't exactly know about the theory thing, since my theories are crap, but I have noticed that. I do tend to do the whole let's end with Ganondorf's place temple so then we could have some kind of order.

So I vote Shadow temple first. :)

Hylian Hobbit
12-08-2008, 12:40 AM
But don't you have to have the Hover Boots to get across the Desert Wasteland? So how can you do the Spirit Temple before the Shadow Temple?

And after you beat the Water Temple, the next time you go to Kakariko Village it is on fire and under attack by an invisible shadow monster. Which is what Bongo Bongo is. Link is knock out, and when he wakes up, Sheik teaches him the Nocturn of Shadow. So I think it's pretty safe to say that the Shadow Temple comes first.

And I thought Bongo Bongo to be one of the easiest bosses in the game. :P

Axle the Beast
12-08-2008, 12:41 AM
But don't you have to have the Hover Boots to get across the Desert Wasteland? So how can you do the Spirit Temple before the Shadow Temple?

And after you beat the Water Temple, the next time you go to Kakariko Village it is on fire and under attack by an invisible shadow monster. Which is what Bongo Bongo is. Link is knock out, and when he wakes up, Sheik teaches him the Nocturn of Shadow. So I think it's pretty safe to say that the Shadow Temple comes first.

No. You don't need them to get through the Haunted Wasteland at all. You can actually do them in either order.

True, but once again, Shadow Temple is essentially listed first on the Quest Status Subscreen.

MrMosley
12-08-2008, 01:38 AM
No. You don't need them to get through the Haunted Wasteland at all. You can actually do them in either order.

True, but once again, Shadow Temple is essentially listed first on the Quest Status Subscreen.

Wrong. The Ocarina song as well as the Medallion for the Spirit Temple come first in the quest subscreen. The song for the Shadow Temple and its Medallion are depicted as being the last in the series of medallions and ocarina tunes.

I often used to wonder about this subject as well because of the quest subscreen showing these two things. Every time I have ever beat Ocarina, and there have been many times, I always do the Shadow Temple first.

http://www.afn.org/~afn05232/medallions.jpg

http://internal.tbi.net/~max/tri-force.jpg
(by the way, the above pic is merely to show the Ocarina songs in the order they come in. The lit up triforce part is fake.)

Onilink89
12-08-2008, 06:28 AM
Yeah i noticed that. from my first time till now, i always complete the spirit temple first before shadow temple for some reason. maybe that because i got used to it since my first try.

Matt
12-08-2008, 06:58 AM
Navi tells you to go that way. Besides, there is a room in the Spirit Temple that is really hard to beat without the Hover Boots. It is the one that has the rolling rocks and the silver rupees. You can't get the last one without doing an unorthodox trick. That is either letting yourself get hit by the rock, or by swinging your sword at exactly the right time. It is hard and would take many tries to do. That makes it obvious that the Shadow Temple goes first.

Onilink89
12-08-2008, 07:41 AM
Navi tells you to go that way. Besides, there is a room in the Spirit Temple that is really hard to beat without the Hover Boots. It is the one that has the rolling rocks and the silver rupees. You can't get the last one without doing an unorthodox trick. That is either letting yourself get hit by the rock, or by swinging your sword at exactly the right time. It is hard and would take many tries to do. That makes it obvious that the Shadow Temple goes first.

oh yeah, thats right. but that would be the only thing that you may need the hover boots for. I normally get that rupee by running and rolling of the edge and at the last moment, draw the sword for a jump attack.

Y2K3
12-08-2008, 01:35 PM
I honestly don't remember the order in which I completed them. I think it was Shadow then Spirit though. I used to wonder which one was supposed to come before the other as there were things that had me confused, but I can't remember them at this time.

Welbanks
12-08-2008, 01:47 PM
Ive always believed that the shadow temple came first, mainly because thats where navi tells you to go after the water temple, plus the things that happens in kakiriko just makes it seem like thats what you have to do next

owenshev
12-08-2008, 04:16 PM
Ive always believed that the shadow temple came first, mainly because thats where navi tells you to go after the water temple, plus the things that happens in kakiriko just makes it seem like thats what you have to do next

Same here. I always did Shadow next because Kakariko is on fire and I just go there naturally (after the Well)

Kenpari
12-08-2008, 04:20 PM
I always did the Spirit Temple first and then the Shadow Temple, though a few times I've done the Shadow Temple first.

blackice_cc
12-08-2008, 06:14 PM
Well, I've only completely gone through the game once, but I did the Spirit temple first.
Actually though, I'm pretty sure you can go through the Forest, Fire, and Water temples in whatever order you want, after you get the Hookshot.

No, you don't. You can Hookshot onto the flag poles to cross the gaps of bad sand.

Besides, there is a room in the Spirit Temple that is really hard to beat without the Hover Boots. It is the one that has the rolling rocks and the silver rupees. You can't get the last one without doing an unorthodox trick. That is either letting yourself get hit by the rock, or by swinging your sword at exactly the right time. It is hard and would take many tries to do. That makes it obvious that the Shadow Temple goes first.

All I did there was get in the correct position, target the vine wall behind the Silver rupee, let loose, and viola, easy way to get it =D.

Axle the Beast
12-08-2008, 11:44 PM
Wrong. The Ocarina song as well as the Medallion for the Spirit Temple come first in the quest subscreen. The song for the Shadow Temple and its Medallion are depicted as being the last in the series of medallions and ocarina tunes.

I often used to wonder about this subject as well because of the quest subscreen showing these two things. Every time I have ever beat Ocarina, and there have been many times, I always do the Shadow Temple first.
Oh, crap. >_<

Typo. I meant that the Shadow Temple was listed last. Which implies that it was intended to be done last. Sorry. >_<

I know what you mean, though. I always used to wonder why, and always did the Shadow Temple first just like you. This last time through the game was the only time I ever did the Spirit Temple first.

Actually, I managed to pull off that trick fairly easily... I also just heard in the last post that there's a way you can use the Longshot to get it.

Actually though, I'm pretty sure you can go through the Forest, Fire, and Water temples in whatever order you want, after you get the Hookshot.
I thought about it for a moment, and yeah, I think you're right. I can't think of a single item that you need to get, other than the Hookshot, to enter any of those Temples...

Welbanks
12-08-2008, 11:47 PM
^^^ You need the arrows from the forest temple or else you cant beat the fire temple, not fully sure if you need arrows for the water temple as well, but i would assume

Josh
12-08-2008, 11:48 PM
Actually let's edit that. I still would have to go with Shadow. kthxbai.

Axle the Beast
12-08-2008, 11:49 PM
^^^ You need the arrows from the forest temple or else you cant beat the fire temple, not fully sure if you need arrows for the water temple as well, but i would assume
Oh, right. There is one part of the Water Temple you need arrows for (one of those Eye Switches.)

And I remember them in the Fire Temple as well...

But theoretically, you could at least enter all of the temples... and you might be able to do the Fire and Water Temples in either order, after doing the Forest Temple.

Welbanks
12-08-2008, 11:52 PM
Technically you could finish the temples in almost any order as long as all you do is get the main item from inside then continue on, with the exception of the megaton hammer, i dont think you need that in any other temple besides the fire one itself. but im not fully sure

Axle the Beast
12-08-2008, 11:54 PM
Technically you could finish the temples in almost any order as long as all you do is get the main item from inside then continue on, with the exception of the megaton hammer, i dont think you need that in any other temple besides the fire one itself. but im not fully sure
Possibly...

You do need the Megaton Hammer to complete Ganon's Castle, as well as the Gerudo Training Ground, but that's optional.

Skull_Kid
12-09-2008, 06:48 AM
I always did Shadow Temple after Spirit Temple... Just because I love the Spirit Temple and I think that it is the last in order, but sometimes i do Shadow Temple first... it depends on my mood

Hylian Hobbit
12-09-2008, 12:51 PM
No, you don't. You can Hookshot onto the flag poles to cross the gaps of bad sand.

Oh yeah, that's right. You need the Hover Boots to get to the salesman on the flying carpet, so that's what confused me I guess. It's been a while since I last played OoT.

Chris
12-12-2008, 08:22 PM
Now, the Shadow Temple is intended to be last, though you can do it in any order you wish. I did that with the whole game, I mixed up the temples.

Hylian Hobbit
12-12-2008, 08:35 PM
Now, the Shadow Temple is intended to be last, though you can do it in any order you wish. I did that with the whole game, I mixed up the temples.

Why dost thou thinketh that? It makes WAY more sense for the Shadow Temple to be before the Spirit Temple. What Navi tells you to do and the events in Kakariko are practically proof that the Shadow Temple was intended to go first.

Ver-go-a-go-go
12-14-2008, 09:56 PM
Why dost thou thinketh that? It makes WAY more sense for the Shadow Temple to be before the Spirit Temple. What Navi tells you to do and the events in Kakariko are practically proof that the Shadow Temple was intended to go first.

Navi is always right!!!!!!!!!

I personally think the Shadow Temple was made to be before the Spirit Temple.

Petman1325
12-17-2008, 08:00 PM
I did the Shadow Temple first, since they sorta set you up with Navi nagging at you about the Shadow Temple...
It is possible to get the Spiritual Stone of Water before you get the Spiritual Stone of Fire. You leave the Dodongo's Cavern when you get the bombs, then you can complete Inside Lord Jabu-Jabu's Belly. I have yet, however, to test this. I'm doing the 3 heart challenge, so I am a tad distracted.

Ver-go-a-go-go
12-17-2008, 08:02 PM
I'm doing the 3 heart challenge, so I am a tad distracted.

Good luck with that.

I tried and failed miserably..

gerudo goyo
12-17-2008, 11:41 PM
So, in theory, could you do the Spirit Temple before the Water Temple? I thought about doing this when I was stuck on the Water Temple. I was stuck on the part where you have to shoot an arrow in an eye then quickly switch to the hookshot and hookshot through the door.

As long as you have the Hookshot and the Lens of Truth can you do the Spirit Temple? You need one more thing, the Requiem of Spirit. Will Sheik give you the Requiem of Spirit even if you haven't beaten the Shadow Temple? Even better, will Sheik give you the Nocturn of Shadow even if you haven't beaten the Water Temple?

Ver-go-a-go-go
12-18-2008, 12:23 AM
Even better, will Sheik give you the Nocturn of Shadow even if you haven't beaten the Water Temple?

Sheik won't give you the Nocturn of Shadow before you beat the Water Temple because Kakariko doesn't catch on fire until you beat the Water Temple.

gerudo goyo
12-18-2008, 12:43 AM
But Sheik will give you the Requiem of Spirit even if you have yet to beat the Water and Shadow Temples?

Ver-go-a-go-go
12-18-2008, 12:44 AM
But Sheik will give you the Requiem of Spirit even if you have yet to beat the Water and Shadow Temples?

I have no idea. I just started OoT over (again) I'll try it this time.

Skull_Kid
12-18-2008, 08:35 AM
I think the Shadow Temple was made to be the last, cause, even in the soundtrack, Shadow Temple's theme comes afterm Spirit Temple's

Hylian Hobbit
12-18-2008, 12:45 PM
I think the Shadow Temple was made to be the last, cause, even in the soundtrack, Shadow Temple's theme comes afterm Spirit Temple's

I don't think the soundtrack is really something to go by. They could put the songs in any order if they wanted to. Even the official Ocarina of Time website says the Shadow Temple is before the Spirit Temple. Not to mention every single Zelda site I've seen says the Shadow Temple is before the Spirit Temple. Again, I could be wrong. It just doesn't seem to add up.

Petman1325
12-19-2008, 01:44 PM
Oh yeah, that's right. You need the Hover Boots to get to the salesman on the flying carpet, so that's what confused me I guess. It's been a while since I last played OoT.

There is another source of Bombchus. If you go to the back alley of Hyrule Castle Market at night, there will be a salesman in one of the doors.

Axle the Beast
12-22-2008, 01:02 AM
In answer to what gerudo goyo and Ver-go-a-go-go were discussing, you need the Longshot to do the Spirit Temple, because the Hookshot isn't long enough to get across Gerudo Valley, or to get through the Haunted Wasteland.

I think the Shadow Temple was probably originally intended as the last dungeon, but through the process of designing everything, they ended up making it more viable as the 2nd to last...

Ver-go-a-go-go
12-22-2008, 11:04 AM
In answer to what gerudo goyo and Ver-go-a-go-go were discussing, you need the Longshot to do the Spirit Temple, because the Hookshot isn't long enough to get across Gerudo Valley, or to get through the Haunted Wasteland.

Can't you use Epona to get across that bridge?

You can get the longshot before you beat the Water Temple.

Josh
12-22-2008, 06:12 PM
And adding another post to Vergo's for the hell of it, yeah I've always used Epona to get across that bridge. I didn't know there was another way. o.O

Question though, do you NEED to get thrown in the Gerudo Fortress jail to complete getting the guards out? Because then you should be fine. I don't know about the poles though, if you can't get through the wasteland without it then you're screwed.

About Shadow Temple, I don't think you really need anything except like Din's Fire and a plain Hookshot to get through that. So maybe you could do that before a couple of dungeons?

Axle the Beast
12-22-2008, 11:37 PM
I... didn't know you could get across the bridge with Epona. >_<

But yeah, you need the Longshot to get through the Haunted Wasteland. I'm pretty sure the normal Hookshot isn't long enough.

And yeah, Ver-go-a-go-go, I know you don't need to beat the Water Temple to get the Longshot, but you still need to do over half of it.

Ver-go-a-go-go
12-23-2008, 12:25 AM
About Shadow Temple, I don't think you really need anything except like Din's Fire and a plain Hookshot to get through that. So maybe you could do that before a couple of dungeons?

Only the Spirit Temple.

You can't learn the Nocturne of Shadow until Karkiro(sp?) catches on fire, and that only happens after you beat the Water Temple.

imthemailman
12-23-2008, 06:09 AM
i do shadow temple first so i get hover boots cos i find spirit easier with them dont know why just do and bongo bongo is one of the easiest bosses in the game for me hardest for me would be prob ganondorf

Kenpari
12-24-2008, 04:02 PM
You had no idea you could use Epona to get across the bridge? I never even knew there was another way to get across the bridge. But, since I didn't even add this opinion in my first post, I think that the Spirit Temple was intended to be last and I've always thought of it that way, even though I never did it last.

Axle the Beast
12-24-2008, 05:49 PM
You had no idea you could use Epona to get across the bridge? I never even knew there was another way to get across the bridge. But, since I didn't even add this opinion in my first post, I think that the Spirit Temple was intended to be last and I've always thought of it that way, even though I never did it last.
Yeah, I didn't. What, do you jump the gap with her? I never would have though of that because the gap looked way too big.

Anyway, you can use the Longshot to grab onto the think hanging over the bridge on the other side. That's how I've always gotten across.

Josh
12-24-2008, 05:50 PM
Yeah. Just get up to a good speed, go right to it and she'll jump across it. There's even a little mini scene to go along with it. =D

Axle the Beast
12-24-2008, 05:53 PM
Yeah. Just get up to a good speed, go right to it and she'll jump across it. There's even a little mini scene to go along with it. =D
Oh, mini-scene. That explains it. In other words, she can't actually jump it with the game's mechanics, but when you hit it at the right speed, it will jump for you... >_<

That explains why I never figured it out. It's like that last effing part in Shadow of the Colossus. >_<

Metroid133
02-14-2009, 01:19 AM
Whenever I have gone through the game I did the Shadow Temple followed by the Spirit Temple. I find it cool to do the Spirit Temple last since you meet that people who I believe had some influence on Ganondorf growing up right before you head to the final showdown. :)

bellum
02-14-2009, 11:38 AM
according to ZD's walthroughs it's shadow temple first but doing the spirit temple first will just make it harder

zeldafreak
02-15-2009, 02:56 AM
I just followed ZD's order, so I went to the stupid shadow temple first.
I would get the lens of truth first so I can cross the desert.

Crystallion
02-15-2009, 04:18 AM
I ALWAYS do the Spirit Temple first, to mentally prepare the horror that is the Shadow Temple ;_; I really hate doing the latter, it's like the well in Kakariko Village.

bellum
02-15-2009, 04:27 AM
the mirror shield is always really cool but really I dont get the point of this thread there is no specific order for them you just have to choosthat yourself

StalfosSlayer
03-18-2009, 07:44 AM
You are meant to do Shadow first (although the medellions are backwards) because completion of the water temple triggers the cut scene. First time players are likely to enter the village before going through the desert (since they probally wont have the Lens of Truth). And for the record, I find Bongo Bongo one of the easist bosses in the entire series.

UsayEldaZay
03-21-2009, 08:50 PM
Me and my friend Jenna got into this huge fight because I was in Shadow and she was in Spirit and she was telling me that I screwed the game up and I was telling her to shut her face lol. You could always just go to the Shadow Temple and get the hover boots since they are in the very beginning and then go to the Spirit Temple. I think I may do that since everyone seems to be in favor of the Spirit Temple. But Navi tells you to go to Kakariko so I don't know how people could go to the Spirit Temple first. Rebels :)

ChargewithSword
03-21-2009, 08:53 PM
I did the shadow temple last once. I found out that the Spirit Temple made the shadow temple a bit easier for me since I got another Heart Container from an easy boss.

Of course the Shadow Temple should come first according to the game's standards.

Kaynil
04-25-2009, 04:15 PM
Ahahahah! I remember I tried to suicide on Epona because I didn't know how to cross to Gerudo Valley with the destroyed bridge. I never expected it to work.

I think you are free to do it either way.

According to Navi and game flow, I usually do the Shadow Temple first, but according to the notes and medallions, yes, it would seem I did them wrong. I always wondered.

Caleb, Of Asui
04-25-2009, 04:25 PM
Well, they always have the order everything's listed in in all the Zelda games. I think they intended the player to go in whatever order they want for those dungeons, since the original game lets you go in any order you want (except for the last dungeon). I think they were trying to hold true to that with these dungeons, just like with the Earth and Wind Temples in The Wind Waker.

Joey
04-29-2009, 11:30 PM
I beat the game 3 or 4 times before getting on this website and I've always done Spirit first and I thought everyone else did I was shocked you could do Shadow first.

Zemen
04-29-2009, 11:35 PM
I guess i never knew that you could pick which one you wanted to do first. I always just did that shadow temple first because i used the hover boots a lot in the spirit temple just because i liked playing around with them.

Ver-go-a-go-go
04-30-2009, 11:12 AM
I just followed ZD's order, so I went to the stupid shadow temple first.
I would get the lens of truth first so I can cross the desert.

Yeah, I think the lens of truth is what really sets up the Shadow Temple being first. The bottom of the well and the Shadow Temple are obviously linked, and I sure didn't know anything about the lens before Sheik told me about them (and she only tells you so you can get through the Shadow Temple right?). Along with what Navi tells you, I think it's safe to assume that they set up the Shadow Temple to go first, and yet they wanted to keep it non-linear.

Axle the Beast
05-02-2009, 12:53 PM
Yeah, I think the lens of truth is what really sets up the Shadow Temple being first. The bottom of the well and the Shadow Temple are obviously linked, and I sure didn't know anything about the lens before Sheik told me about them (and she only tells you so you can get through the Shadow Temple right?). Along with what Navi tells you, I think it's safe to assume that they set up the Shadow Temple to go first, and yet they wanted to keep it non-linear.
Agreed.

Although I think at least earlier in production they may have intended the Shadow Temple to be last, as it's song and medallion are listed after the Spirit Temple ones. But it doesn't seem to be the order intended in the final version.

Waker of winds
10-26-2009, 07:18 PM
I always did-and I'm still doing-the Spirit Temple first.

I do the Temples in the Medallion order, because I became used to it. I thought that you had to get through the Spirit Temple, then the Shadow Temple. A while after, I learned that I can do the Shadow and Spirit Temple in the order I want.

I tried to do the Shadow Temple, then the Spirit Temple, but I didn't like how it felt, after years and years of doing it one way and then another.

Since then, doing the Spirit Temple first works for better me:nod:.

ergman
10-26-2009, 07:51 PM
....I did the well BEFORE the water temple.... wierd huh

Zarom
10-26-2009, 09:55 PM
I always did the Shadow Temple first. Mainly because it is closer, and as soon as you step in Kakariko Village, you see the cutscene with Sheik. So, then I learn the Nocturn of Shadow, do the well, and I can immediately go to the Shadow Temple.

Also, the Lens of Truth is needed to cross the Haunted Wasteland. Also, the Spirit Temple is easier to do if you have the Hover Boots. And I've always prefered to learn evrything about Ganondorf just before going into his castle. :)

Dungeon killer
10-26-2009, 09:59 PM
I have always done the shadow temple before the spirit temple, Idon't know why but that is what I tend to do.:thinking:

Alex_Da_Great
10-27-2009, 06:59 AM
What I think is that the game intended you to go to the Shadow Temple first because you learn the song STRAIGHT after the water temple and it is true that you need the Lens of Truth to get through the desert but then the storyline says otherwise. The quest status screens, the importance of Impa... The storyline says that the spirit temple is first!

Link Master
10-29-2009, 12:46 PM
I think the spirit temple is better because the music is better and its a mid boss then a boss then a boss. I think the spirit temple should com first because Naboruu says nothing about the end of your quest and Impa does. The nocturne of shadow comes after the desert song.

zeldaoot4ever
12-16-2009, 01:16 PM
I was did the shadow first, but i admit that i make this because i looked at the net and everywhere the shadow comes first. But i thought the same thing in the first time i played this game. When i loaded one game after beating the shadow, i saw a gap between the water and the shadow medallion. Then, i looked at the menu and saw that there the medallion and the song didnt come first. But, there's one thing that convinced me that the shadow comes first. When we see Sheikh for the first time, she tells us where are the five temples in the order we are supposed to play. Using her words: 1- Deep forest; (Forest Temple). 2- High mountain (Fire Temple). 3- Vast lake (Water Temple). 4- House of the Dead; Graveyard (Shadow Temple). 5- Goddess of sand (Spirit Temple).

Someone said that the game maybe was originally made with the spirit first (i agree), but, for some reason, they changed it and the spirit became the last temple, but somethings (like the menu) werent changed, so all this controversy started.

Sage of Shadow
12-26-2009, 07:48 PM
Well, I think you can do Spirit before Shadow and vice-versa, but it might be much easier to do Shadow and then Spirit. A couple situations in the Spirit Temple require the Lens of Truth but then again you could just get the lens from the well and then do spirit. Plus there is one instance in the spirit temple where you need the hover boots to make it easier (when you have to jump onto the sand goddessess's hand to play Zelda's lullaby)

CZG
12-27-2009, 07:59 AM
I always do the Desert one first, I never like darkness and Shadow Temples.
Maybe it's my 14-inch tv with very low intensity or whatever...Perhaps it could leave you some impression when you can see something. Plus, the background sound/music from this temple never stuck with me.

Jetter
12-27-2009, 11:53 AM
When I was playing it I stopped going into the water temple right after I got the Longshot and went to Gerudo Fortress. I then completed the Spirit temple before the Shadow and Water temple.

Bongo_Bongo
02-02-2010, 12:07 AM
I always did the Spirit Temple first and then the Shadow Temple, though a few times I've done the Shadow Temple first.

I wan't Kybyrian to look at and read this sentance carefully, then try to honestly say that it's not a fail.;)

athenian200
02-02-2010, 05:12 AM
I did the Spirit Temple first because I was scared of the Shadow Temple and REALLY didn't want to go in there.

But I can assure you it's possible.

Oh, I remember that room. What I did was use a jump attack when I was close to the edge to get that last rupee. When you REALLY don't want to get those Hover Boots, you find a way. ;)

Timing Jump Attacks gets you onto any platform you need to reach, and you can use just the Hookshot to cross the desert. I'm actually tempted to see if I can find a trick to beat the Shadow Temple without them, someday. I have a theory that the Hover Boots are superfluous and were just thrown in to make the game easier late in development. Specifically, I think that Bombchus were the original item they put in the Shadow Temple, but people found it too confusing to use bombs that way.

Starchain1
02-18-2010, 09:35 PM
The shadow temple was easy but I think it makes since that a more evil temple comes last
so i vote shadow last

herooftimewarp
02-24-2010, 10:27 PM
:) :( personally i havent beat oot yet because my gamecube controller is broke (yes i have collectors edition) and i am in the water temple but it would seem fun to do the spirit temple first

herooftimewarp
02-24-2010, 10:32 PM
Navi is always right!!!!!!!!!

I personally think the Shadow Temple was made to be before the Spirit Temple.

i couldent agree more and ihave heard that twinrova is the best boss so i think it should be saved for later

Valientlink
02-27-2010, 01:45 AM
New guy here... thought I'd throw my two cents in. Here are a few things to note... I think Spirit comes before Shadow.

1. You do not need the hover boots to beat the Spirit Temple, or the Gerudo Training Grounds, or to get on the magic carpet.
2. Most people who found the Song of Storms after getting the hookshot, would have immediately went back in time to play that song, thus getting the Lens.
3. Saria tells child Link to go to the Spirit Temple after you beat the Water Temple.
4. If you followed step 2, you would notice that Gerudo Valley, and Gerudo Fortress are the only blinking spots on the map, indicating you need to go there.
5. Kakariko Village will only blink if you haven't gotten the Lens.
6. Impa SHOULD be the last sage because she is Zelda's Nanny. She tells you "soon you will meet princess Zelda" before she gives you the medallion.
7. Spirit comes first on the subscreen.

Therefore, Spirit comes first (to me at least...)

Skull Kid
02-27-2010, 02:46 AM
I'm going to have to go with the Shadow Temple First! :)

Because in the Spirt Temple there was a lot more that goes on in it like the witches and a lot of short mini-clips that i love!!!

<Zelda of Ever> :)

Asme
02-27-2010, 04:58 AM
Just do the one you like best first :P, I did forest-water-fire-shadow-spirit but next time I probably do fire-forest-water-spirit-shadow just to mess up the order completly :D

Xinnamin
02-27-2010, 10:06 AM
I do the Spirit Temple first only because the first time I played I was scared silly of the Shadow Temple, and I never listen to Navi anyways so I didn't think much of an order. Then again I like doing temples out of order. I know I finished Jabu-jabu's belly immediately after getting the bombs since I didn't like Dondongo Cavern. I went to get the Lens of Truth at the first possible chance (after beating the Forest Temple). I remember doing the Water and Fire Temples near simultaneously, switching back and forth since I didn't particularly like either.

The only order that is forced in the game seems to be that the Great Deku Tree is the first child dungeon since you can't leave the forest before then, the bombs have to come before Jabu-jabu but you don't have to beat King Dondongo first, the Forest Temple is the first adult dungeon since you need the arrows for the Water and Fire dungeons (do you need to beat the Forest Temple or just get the arrows? I know you need to beat it for the Well), and the Water Temple has to come before the Shadow and Spirit Temples (well technically only before the Shadow Temple since you can do Spirit after getting the Longshot). I wonder if you could put off the Fire Temple until last? You don't need the Megaton Hammer before Ganon's Tower after all (I think), and the only reason to do it early is for the Fairy upgrade....Now I realize I'm really confused about the dungeon order.

yann
02-27-2010, 10:37 AM
Did you ever try listening to Navi or asking Saria after completing the Water Temple where to go next?

I think this will give you a massive clue as to where Miyamoto wanted you to go next, personally I did the Shadow Temple first all the time because the Spirit Temple is my favourite temple and I wanted to save until last.

Asme
02-27-2010, 01:31 PM
@xinnamin You do not need arrows for fire temple, only if you wan't the map, also you have to do the fire temple AND water temple to trigger the shadow temple cutscene, so no. You can't do fire temple last.

Xinnamin
02-27-2010, 02:04 PM
That makes sense since it'd be kinda odd for the Kakariko thunderstorm to occur while Death Mountain is still wonky, but then the Fire Temple could still be left for second last right? In fact, with all these restrictions on the order placement for the Shadow Temple (must be after full completion of Forest, Fire, and Water while Spirit can be done after full finish of Forest and half of Water, correct me if I'm wrong since my memory of the dungeons is a bit fuzzy), it does seem as if the Shadow Temple was originally meant to be the last Temple.

jakesuhr
02-28-2010, 06:03 AM
I knew you could do either first before the other but I always did Shadow first cause that is the next one they tell you to complete and when Sheik tells you about the 5 temples before you go to beat the Forest temple she mentions the Spirit temple last. But your theory does make some sense.

Btw I saw ur signature. I think everyone hated Navi cause she is annoying and keeps telling you to go somewhere when you are trying to complete a side quest or are not wanting to go there just yet and she constantly keeps saying "hey Listen"

Valientlink
03-01-2010, 04:36 PM
You can't save the fire temple for last, because the Shadow Temple events cannot be triggered until the Forest, Fire, and Water temples have been completed. But to my knowledge you can beat the Spirit Temple at any point after you've beaten the Forest Temple.

Olaf Forkbeard
03-10-2010, 09:21 PM
Um, I had a fun experience with dungeon order once. I never finished my test but you can theoretically get pretty far without "beating" a dungeon. Do forest temple till you get a bow. Do fire temple until you get the hammer. Do Water Temple till you get the Longshot. I'm determined to believe that you don't need the Lens of Truth, Trying to do it now. And if memory serves you don't need the Mirror shield for anything but Twin-Rova and cool looks. So you can theoretically get to just before Ganon in his castle by doing all the puzzles in his dungeon using the items. The only flaw is the lack of "Sage" to finish each section. In my tests I have managed to do them all out of order. I think finished Water first, then Fire, then Shadow, then Spirit, then Forest. Just to prove to my friends that you can. But that was about 4 years ago, It may of been that i didn't finish the last two temples.

Oh, BTW you can beat Bongo Bongo with 3 hearts, 1 fairy, No hover boots and some good, quick aim.

Asme
03-11-2010, 01:18 AM
I must ask, why do a temple halfway for the item then leave? When you first are there and are halfway, why not just finnish the temple =/? going halfway and then leaving for another just seems like hazzle and not worth the extra backtracking.

Zeruda
03-11-2010, 02:21 AM
I must ask, why do a temple halfway for the item then leave? When you first are there and are halfway, why not just finnish the temple =/? going halfway and then leaving for another just seems like hazzle and not worth the extra backtracking.
Because it's fun. The games are getting more and more linear, so it's nice to be able to still do those things. I like to grab the equips from the dungeons and then run around completing sidequest, harharhar.

Deku Nutter
03-25-2010, 07:46 PM
And if memory serves you don't need the Mirror shield for anything but Twin-Rova and cool looks. So you can theoretically get to just before Ganon in his castle by doing all the puzzles in his dungeon using the items.

You do need the mirror shield for some of the puzzle elements in the Spirit temple too, for example reflecting light on the suns.

I think you're certainly directed by the game to do the Shadow first, i've never heard of it being done in any other order, it's just the song and medallion appear in a different order on the status subscreen for some reason, probably because it was coded earlier on in development. Apart from what's been already mentioned, Kaepora Gaebora talks to you for the first time in a while once you get the silver gauntlets and it seems to be a farewell message for your imminent battle with Ganondorf.

You're definatley meant to have the hover boots and lens of truth for the Spirit too, as there are uses for them, even if it may be possible without them.

Flute Boy
03-26-2010, 06:19 AM
the official order is forest, fire, water, shadow, spirit, however there are other options, you can go to the water temple after forest, you truely dont need the hammer for that dungeon. in retrospect, if you think about it, you can finish the temples in any order you want, except for the shadow temple cant be done untill either water or 1st three completed. as long as you get the bow from the forest, you can start a different temple, if you only recieve the items, you can theoredically attempt any order you like.

irishfire
04-06-2010, 06:35 PM
I think im going to go through ocarina fo time again just to see if all this is true, if youe can do all these temples in different orders, because that is wierd that Nintendo would put the shadow medallion lastif it was intended to be the 5th medallion, so i'm not decided. You get the lens of truth (needed for the shadow temple) and then kakariko being on fire due to Bongo Bongo (shadow temple boss). And all of a sudden switching gears towards the spirit temple after all this stuff happpens having to due with the spirit temple? Woah! i need to take a breath here, getting my self too worked up! well, theres evidence on both sides.

Raven
04-06-2010, 07:21 PM
I always did the Spirit Temple first, I didn't learn about the official order until much later so I had always assumed that I was playing the temples in order although I have switched it up from time to time I have always save the Shadow Temple for the very last. It's just so Evil! It seems more fitting that the last dungeon wouldn't be the homeland of the the boss, we were just in gerudo valley and now you want me to kill their king? no the Shadow Temple is a nice little breather for me before i go kill that Gerudo theif... too much gerudo isent good for you... lol

also there are a few ways to get out of Kokiri Forest early now, nothing is beyond your grasp! power laughs.

MalonMaverick11
04-08-2010, 05:25 PM
I really hadnt thought about doing the spirit/shadow temple in the oposite order...I should give it a try. and i think that the only time in the fire temple when you need arrows is to shoot the eye to get the compass...but its been a while since ive played thru.

Austin
04-08-2010, 05:44 PM
A semi-related question; in order for Sheik to teach you the Nocturne of Shadow, do you need the first three temples completed or just the Water Temple?

ZeldaNut
04-21-2011, 11:20 AM
I recently just did the Water Temple before the Fire Temple. You need the Bow for the single golden eye switch in the Water Temple, but you don't need anything from the Fire Temple (ie. the Megaton Hammer) to beat it.

And I have beaten the Spirit Temple before the Shadow Temple a long time ago. I don't remember if I got the Hover Boots first or not.

Hylian Knight
04-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Yes you need the arrows in the Water Temple there an Eye Switch that leads to some important room.

I Tend to do the Spirit Temple first then the Shadow Temple.

ironknuckle1
04-21-2011, 02:57 PM
I change up the order I beat them in every once in a while but lately such as on my 3 heart run what i did was I beat all of the things you need to enter the spirit temple and the shadow temple and then I beat them (shadow then spirit). For some reason this seemed quicker but im not sure.

Hylian Knight
04-21-2011, 03:01 PM
Actually I do the temples completely out of order.

Forest-Water-Spirit. Then I do all the rest last.

Elvenknight
04-21-2011, 03:03 PM
I did the Fortress, the Well, Kid Spirit, Shadow, finally Adult Spirit. I felt it was faster that way.

Azure Sage
04-21-2011, 03:29 PM
I just skip through each dungeon, only getting the items, and then finally go back and do everything. I don't do anything in any specific order. Sometimes i do Jabu Jabu's Belly before I finish the Dodongo's Cavern. But, getting back to the Shadow/Spirit Temples... I usually go get the Silver Gauntlests and the Mirror Shield before I do anything else, so I usually do the Spirit Temple first.

darunia
04-21-2011, 05:42 PM
Yes you can do the Spirit and Shadow temples in a different order.
I have known this for a long time.
It says you cannot get to the Spirit temple unless you have the hover boots as you need them to cross the sand at the start of the desert.
Thats not true.
You can use the Longshot and shoot it at the boxes at the other side of the sinking sand and then you are pulled across.

You do however need the Lens of Truth.

Zorato
04-21-2011, 06:14 PM
Wait, Bongo Bongo is the hardest boss in the game? I always thought that Phantom Ganondorf was the hardest. I could never pick the right one that was coming out of the painting. Anyway, I always did the shadow first because I always visited Kakariko Village VERY often, so I felt pretty compelled to help the people of the village. Also Axle, you can do the water temple before the fire temple too.

JuicieJ
04-21-2011, 07:22 PM
The official guidebook says Spirit Temple is last. Nothing more needed. But, if you want evidence, it's pretty much implied that you need the Hover Boots for the Desert Wasteland. We know we don't, but they allow you to not sink, so...

Zorato
04-21-2011, 10:56 PM
The official guidebook says Spirit Temple is last. Nothing more needed. But, if you want evidence, it's pretty much implied that you need the Hover Boots for the Desert Wasteland. We know we don't, but they allow you to not sink, so...

You just said that you need the hover boots to cross it so you dont sink, and then said we all know that you don't. And who cares what the official guide book says? It can't be wrong? Nintendo isn't always right I hope you know. >.>

Seth
04-23-2011, 03:14 PM
When you beat the WT Navi's hint leads you to Kakariko Village, so its Shadow - Spirit officially but if one wants to play the other way around, more power to you. I like playing it the official way anyways, the events with the Spirit Temple seem to set up the final showdown with Gannon quite nicely imo.

Caleb, Of Asui
04-23-2011, 03:36 PM
One of the great things about Ocarina of Time is that you can do certain dungeons in a different order from the intended order. It's like the whole element in the original Legend of Zelda where you could do the dungeons in essentially any order you want except for the last dungeon, despite them having a numerical order. Ocarina of Time does a good job at maintaining this while still effectively developing the story and the basic in-game chronology and cinematic value, whereas Twilight Princess may have focused too much on the in-game chronology, losing that balance. There seems to be a pretty good balance of that in The Wind Waker where I'm not even sure anymore what order the Earth and Wind Temples are supposed to go in, although, as you can see from the layout of the game, you choose the order for similar dungeons within a confined part of the story, rather than the order of the dungeons being changeable all throughout the story.

ZeldaNut
05-18-2011, 03:25 PM
I did the Temples in this order: Forest, Water, Spirit, Fire, and Shadow (to do next).

You need the Bow for every other dungeon. No point in getting that far in the Forest Temple, and leave it unbeaten. The Longshot is required for Spirit and Shadow Temples. There is one part in the Spirit Temple where you can optionally use the Megaton Hammer from the Fire Temple, but it isn't necessary. So this order works.

I remember I did the room in the Spirit Temple (rolling rocks and silver rupees), and I didn't have the Hover Boots, and I DID NOT use any unorthodox tricks. It was pretty easy. So what are you guys talking about?

MidnaOfTheTwili
05-18-2011, 04:05 PM
I've always done the Shadow Temple first. It makes the most sense to me due to the clues in the game. (Navi's instructions, learning the Nocturne of Shadow first, attack on Kakariko, etc.) But I don't deny that you can Spirit Temple forest, especially since the medallions put the Spirit Temple first and you don't really need any item you get in the Shadow to complete the Spirit, although the Hover Boots are helpful, but not necessary.

SheikahSoul
05-18-2011, 04:11 PM
I grew fond of watching my broder doing this order on the temples: Forest, Fire, Water, Spirit and Shadow.

I believe that is also the right order considering that giant platform in the Temple of Time were the Master sword is and also in Chamber of sages.

Seth
05-18-2011, 04:24 PM
I grew fond of watching my broder doing this order on the temples: Forest, Fire, Water, Spirit and Shadow.

I believe that is also the right order considering that giant platform in the Temple of Time were the Master sword is and also in Chamber of sages.

But as soon as you beat the Water Temple Navi in game says to go to Kakariko, plus i believe the nocturne of shadows is before the spirit song (yeah yeah i cant remember the name right now). It is forest-fire-water-shadow-spirit but of course anyone can finish it in whatever order they want, that's the beauty of it!

SheikahSoul
05-18-2011, 04:29 PM
But as soon as you beat the Water Temple Navi in game says to go to Kakariko, plus i believe the nocturne of shadows is before the spirit song (yeah yeah i cant remember the name right now). It is forest-fire-water-shadow-spirit but of course anyone can finish it in whatever order they want, that's the beauty of it!

But Navi is also sometimes not really clear in the head. She's blabbering about so much indeed. I remember a part when you were to find Zelda, and once you found her she then goes "HEY" and starts blabering about "where's Zelda we got to find her somewhere in the castle".

But I've enever heard her mentioning about going to Kakariko besides in the beginning when Sheik tells you to go to find that tool to get to the Forest Temple. In my game Navi has allways said after I finished the water temple. "I wonder who the next sage is. Let's find someone who might know" or somegthing like that.

Anyway, I have allways done the temples in the order this big platform in the Chamber of Sages tells.

insanity76
05-18-2011, 04:31 PM

Actually I'm pretty sure the order of the songs on the menu is Requiem of Spirit then Nocturne of Shadow (and then Prelude of Light). That being said I agree with you, especially the point you made in your earlier post about the events of the Spirit Temple preceding/setting up nicely the final showdown.

Seth
05-18-2011, 04:34 PM
But Navi is also sometimes not really clear in the head. She's blabbering about so much indeed. I remember a part when you were to find Zelda, and once you found her she then goes "HEY" and starts blabering about "where's Zelda we got to find her somewhere in the castle".

But I've enever heard her mentioning about going to Kakariko besides in the beginning when Sheik tells you to go to find that tool to get to the Forest Temple. In my game Navi has allways said after I finished the water temple. "I wonder who the next sage is. Let's find someone who might know" or somegthing like that.

Anyway, I have allways done the temples in the order this big platform in the Chamber of Sages tells.

She always gives you hints on where to go next, it just so happens sometimes you are already doing it when she tells you, it's a game mechanic and as far as the game goes if you didn't do a certain task or start a temple she keeps telling you.
I think she hints to go there, but I could be wrong, either way as soon as you beat the water temple then whenever you enter Kakariko the cut scene starts. When I had a stratagy guide well back in the day it listed that way as well. In the end it doesn't really matter of course, but I have done it shadow-spirit so long it would seem weird the other way around lol

Actually I'm pretty sure the order of the songs on the menu is Requiem of Spirit then Nocturne of Shadow (and then Prelude of Light). That being said I agree with you, especially the point you made in your earlier post about the events of the Spirit Temple preceding the final showdown.

Yeah it just seems like the perfect set-up for it.
It doesn't matter the order so much anyways but it's the way I have always done it.

SheikahSoul
05-18-2011, 04:36 PM
She always gives you hints on where to go next, it just so happens sometimes you are already doing it when she tells you, it's a game mechanic and as far as the game goes if you didn't do a certain task or start a temple she keeps telling you.
I think she hints to go there, but I could be wrong, either way as soon as you beat the water temple then when you enter Kakariko the cut scene start. When I had a stratagy guide well back in the day it listed that way. In the end it doesn't really matter of course, but I have done it shadow-spirit so long it would seem weird the other way around lol

It doesn't matter the order so much but it's the way I have always done it.

I believe the cutscene is because we are free to choose. But I wouldn't trust the strategy guides as they aren't that canon in some things.
I trust the game itself and I've allways followed the order of the platform in Chamber of sages. My big bro did the same.

Seth
05-18-2011, 04:44 PM
I believe the cutscene is because we are free to choose. But I wouldn't trust the strategy guides as they aren't that canon in some things.
I trust the game itself and I've allways followed the order of the platform in Chamber of sages. My big bro did the same.

I found this in a text dump:

When evil rules all, an awakening
voice from the Sacred Realm will
call those destined to be Sages,
who dwell in the five temples.
One in a deep forest...
One on a high mountain...
One under a vast lake...
One within the house of the dead...
One inside a goddess of the sand...

Shadow first according Sheik, I tried to find what Navi said but it's hard to find the right keyword as i am not really sure at all lol.

insanity76
05-18-2011, 04:53 PM
It doesn't matter the order so much anyways but it's the way I have always done it.

Meeting Nabooru, who's 2nd highest on the ladder of Hierarchy among the Gerudo behind Ganondorf, and helping her try to overthrow him (although her motives are for her own personal gain), and facing & defeating Ganondorf's surrogate mothers are what do it for me. Engaging with those who are that close to Ganondorf in the Gerudo culture, you really get the feeling that Link is getting close to confronting him. After doing all that, it would feel to me like the Shadow Temple events would kill the momentum of the story's buildup to the final confrontation.

Seth
05-18-2011, 05:01 PM
Meeting Nabooru, who's 2nd highest on the ladder of Hierarchy among the Gerudo behind Ganondorf, and helping her try to overthrow him (although her motives are for her own personal gain), and facing & defeating Ganondorf's surrogate mothers are what do it for me. Engaging with those who are that close to Ganondorf in the Gerudo culture, you really get the feeling that Link is getting close to confronting him. After doing all that, it would feel to me like the Shadow Temple events would kill the momentum of the story's buildup to the final confrontation.

That's exactly how I feel. You are going into the heart of Ganondorf's land, including his closest confidants being a major part of that chapter. So after rescuing the sage and beating the dungeon in the heart of enemy territory so to speak, then logically it seems the next thing to do is to take that evil itself head on.

insanity76
05-18-2011, 05:05 PM
Also,

Shadow first according Sheik, I tried to find what Navi said but it's hard to find the right keyword as i am not really sure at all lol.

Here are her story/gameplay prompts for the adult quest in order:

016 : Should we believe what Sheik said and go to Kakariko Village?
017 : I wonder what's going on in the forest right now... I'm worried about
Saria, too!
018 : That cloud over Death Mountain...there is something strange about it...
019 : An arctic wind is blowing from Zora's River...do you feel it?
020 : Those Iron Boots look like they weight a ton! If you wear those boots,
you may be able to walk at the bottom of a lake.
021 : Let's look for someone who might know something about the other Sages!
022 : Have you ever played the Nocturne of Shadow that Sheik taught you?
023 : The desert...that is where Ganondorf the Evil King was born. If we go
there, we might find something...
024 : The one who is waiting for us at the Temple of Time...it could be...
025 : We have to save Princess Zelda from her imprisonment in Ganon's Castle!

She specifically prompts Link to explore the desert, but it comes up only after you've completed the Shadow Temple.

KaeporaGaebora
05-18-2011, 08:41 PM
I never knew you could do the Temples in almost any order. Of course the Forest has to come first because of the fairy bow. I always did the Shadow first because that's what Navi told me. But by looking at the medallion thingy I think the Spirit was intended to be done before Shadow. I always did them in the order Navi told me to. Now that I think about it.....do'h!!!

Midna_twilight
05-18-2011, 08:55 PM
next time i play OoT im ganna try and do spirt first not shadow.... just to see if its true and you can do spirt before shadow.... but i think spirt is ment to come last cause you fight ganons mothers there

athenian200
05-18-2011, 09:16 PM
I usually do the Spirit Temple first, because of the fact that I was so afraid of the Shadow Temple and Bottom of the Well levels. I believe that I also got through the Haunted Wasteland without the Lens of Truth, using some kind of guide that walked me through it in painstaking detail.

I personally think that the reason that rupee is so hard to get, is because it was meant to be a bit more challenging to reach. The Hover Boots make it easy, but I don't think it was meant to be that easy originally. They might have just moved the Shadow Temple before the Spirit Temple because they realized people might have too much trouble solving that puzzle without Hover Boots.

In any case, I would say that the Spirit Temple was originally intended to be before the Shadow Temple, and can still be done before it... but the game now expects you to do the Shadow Temple first, as you usually have to get the Lens of Truth to cross the Wasteland anyway, and the Shadow Temple is right there.

I've beaten the game both ways, though... and I think that beating the Spirit Temple last IS a bit more satisfying, because of all the cutscenes and such in there.

ZeldaNut
06-01-2011, 06:02 PM
I personally think that the reason that rupee is so hard to get, is because it was meant to be a bit more challenging to reach. The Hover Boots make it easy, but I don't think it was meant to be that easy originally. They might have just moved the Shadow Temple before the Spirit Temple because they realized people might have too much trouble solving that puzzle without Hover Boots.

The silver rupee in the room with the rolling rocks in that half-pipe shaped pit right? The rupee you speak of is around the middle of the pit, but suspended over your head, too high to reach, right?

Yes, where you entered the pit from the entrance door to the room, there is a rough wall you can climb down to get into the pit (or just jump in). That wall can be grabbed with the Hookshot. You just stand near the rupee, and put it between you and the climbable wall. Fire the Hookshot at the top of the wall, and you'll be pulled toward it, grabbing the rupee in the process. It's something you have to do quite often in other parts of the game. Lining yourself up with Hookshot targets and silver rupees, in order to get those rupees. Here it's easy to do as well. It's just a matter of realizing that technique when you get there. It does NOT require the Hover Boots, or some air-slash in mid-jump unorthodox technique. Just the Hookshot (probably the Longshot; it's a pretty long shot to the climbable wall). So forget about the Shadow Temple as a prerequisite to the Spirit Temple because of this rupee and the "necessary" Hover Boots. That's not true. The Hover Boots are NOT required to get the rupee.

knowlee
06-03-2011, 02:42 PM
I've always done the Shadow Temple first. Mainly because my least favorite part of the game is the Gerudo Fortress which you have to do before going to the Spirit Temple. The reason for this is the sneaking around. I hate sneaking around in games as well as in real life. Makes me nervous. >_>

...Anyway, yeah, I've always found it easier for me to as well as natural for me to the Shadow Temple first and then go to the Spirit Temple. Also by doing it this way it makes the story flow better in my opinion. It also helps me get ready to face Ganondorf next since the Spirit Temple is located in his original home.

Rytex
06-03-2011, 05:30 PM
I always did Spirit before Shadow. They're about the same in terms of difficulty, but Shadow Temple's one long gauntlet for the most part, and I never found the shortcut until my most recent playthrough. So I'd get the extra Heart Container and Mirror Shield.

Toboe
06-15-2011, 11:32 AM
I did the spirit temple last. I found the shadow temple before I did the spirit temple so I did the shadow temple first. But the shadow temple was harder then the spirit temple, I think they intended to make the spirit temple befroe the shadow temple, mabye they made them both the same level and I just didn't notice that.

hessdawg
06-20-2011, 11:01 AM
honestly if you don't get caught you can get through the gerudo fortress right after you have gotten epona but having the bow helps a lot. Also, just beating the water temple doesn't get you the nocturne of shadow; you need to beat the first 3 temples.

yes, the only trigger for that cutscene is entering then exiting the spirit temple.

OhYeah!
06-20-2011, 11:15 AM
I think you pretty much can do all the temples in the order you want. You can for exemple get the bow and leave the Forest Temple without completing it but I don't know. I haven't tied.

hessdawg
06-20-2011, 11:18 AM
New guy here... thought I'd throw my two cents in. Here are a few things to note... I think Spirit comes before Shadow.

1. You do not need the hover boots to beat the Spirit Temple, or the Gerudo Training Grounds, or to get on the magic carpet.
2. Most people who found the Song of Storms after getting the hookshot, would have immediately went back in time to play that song, thus getting the Lens.
3. Saria tells child Link to go to the Spirit Temple after you beat the Water Temple.
4. If you followed step 2, you would notice that Gerudo Valley, and Gerudo Fortress are the only blinking spots on the map, indicating you need to go there.
5. Kakariko Village will only blink if you haven't gotten the Lens.
6. Impa SHOULD be the last sage because she is Zelda's Nanny. She tells you "soon you will meet princess Zelda" before she gives you the medallion.
7. Spirit comes first on the subscreen.

Therefore, Spirit comes first (to me at least...)

the only thing i have a problem with in this statement is that if you learn the song of storms right after you get the hookshot, then you wouldn't be able to travel back in time yet.

audioblogs12
06-20-2011, 10:09 PM
Navi tells me to do shadow first... and then I go to kakariko villaige and the thing in the well possesses Sheik. Then he tells me about the song that takes me to the shadow temple... Is it possible to do the Spirit Temple first after that?:S

PhantomTriforce
06-22-2011, 09:54 AM
I always did the Shadow Temple before the Spirit Temple, just because when you get the Lens of Truth, the Shadow Temple is just so close by, and the Bottom of the Well sets up the mood for the upcoming Shadow Temple (for me).

bluelink
06-22-2011, 01:18 PM
I always do what sheik tells me cause I don't want to confuse my self into getting me frustrated with the game

Kappa
06-23-2011, 08:21 PM
oh yeah, thats right. but that would be the only thing that you may need the hover boots for. I normally get that rupee by running and rolling of the edge and at the last moment, draw the sword for a jump attack.

Actually thats not the spirit temple. Thats the gerudo training grounds.:Si think.

Cel-Shaded Deku
06-23-2011, 08:27 PM
Actually thats not the spirit temple. Thats the gerudo training grounds.:Si think.

Nope, he's talking about the Spirit Temple. It's the room with the boulders and silver rupees.

ZoraDeadpool
06-25-2011, 04:50 PM
the first time i played through the game i did the spirit temple before the shadow tempel, and i never realized unti my fourth playthrough that they can be done in either order

BIGJRA
07-06-2011, 08:05 PM

Yes, arrows are needed in both of the temples.

My first try was on virtual console wii on my tv and it had too much darkness and i couldnt see the shadow temple so I couldnt beat it, got mad, and decided to do spirit temple in case it had a "light" or something like that.

Also, on OoT3D, after water temple the yellow dots of where to go next are in both kakariko and gerudo valley, showing that either way goes

skybird11
07-06-2011, 10:04 PM
i think its possible to do the spirit temple as the first adult dungeon. you can use epona to jump the broken bridge, although ive only seen videos of this. it will also be very hard to fight invissible floormasters without lens of truth and dins fire is required if you dont have fire arrows(i think)

Xinnamin
07-06-2011, 10:51 PM
i think its possible to do the spirit temple as the first adult dungeon. you can use epona to jump the broken bridge, although ive only seen videos of this. it will also be very hard to fight invissible floormasters without lens of truth and dins fire is required if you dont have fire arrows(i think)

You can't reach the Spirit Temple that early, at least not without sequence breaking. The Haunted Wasteland requires the Longshot to get across that initial area of quicksand. You also need to have beaten the Forest Temple to go back in time for the child portion anyways.

skybird11
07-07-2011, 07:39 AM
o yea. idk what i was thinking. lol

Kylon
07-15-2011, 10:24 AM
I don't exactly know about the theory thing, since my theories are crap, but I have noticed that. I do tend to do the whole let's end with Ganondorf's place temple so then we could have some kind of order.

So I vote Shadow temple first. :)i dont think u need the hover boots if u buy bombchus from the merchant u do though

Teal
07-19-2011, 05:57 AM
Well i do the game in any order i want to i usally do the Spirt Temple first the the Shadow temple sometime am ging to do a 3 heart run and do the dungeons mixed up.

Tael.:fairy:

MW7
07-19-2011, 02:33 PM
I'd like to argue that Shadow is intended to be last because there are more requirements to reach and beat it than there are for the Spirit Temple. I'm considering this without glitches BTW.

The Shadow Temple simply requires the Forest, Fire, and Water Medallions to reach and beat. But this is actually much more than the Spirit Temple requires.

In order to reach the Gerudo Fortress you need either Epona or the Longshot. In order to pass the River of Sand you need either the Longshot or Hover Boots. The Haunted Wasteland doesn't require the Lens of Truth. So all you need to reach the Spirit Temple is the Longshot. You can get the Longshot from the Water Temple without the bow because only the last 2 keys of the dungeon require the bow to get (those keys are needed to get the boss key). This means that you can reach the Spirit Temple without glitches prior to collecting any other temple medallions, and without entering the Forest, Fire, or Shadow Temples.

Once you have reached it (only requiring the longshot in this path) beating the Spirit Temple only requires you to collect the bow and Forest Medallion (complete the Forest Temple) so that you can go back in time to do the child portion of the Spirit Temple. This is because the scene where Sheik gives you the Prelude of Light (and then tells you how to go back in time) is triggered once walk up to the pedastal of the Master Sword with the Forest Medallion. You can then complete the adult portion of the Spirit Temple with the silver gauntlets from the child portion of the Spirit Temple. The megaton hammer is not necessary as commonly believed.

The Spirit Temple can be completed with only the Forest Temple beaten, the Water Temple entered but not beaten, and the Fire and Shadow Temples not even entered.

My logic is this: the Spirit Temple can be completed earlier in the game (as early as the second medallion you collect) than the Shadow Temple can be completed (the shadow medallion can be your fourth at the earliest without glitches), so the game designers intended you to do Spirit before Fire. I know this logic isn't perfect but I think it's just as good as pointing out that the Shadow Medallion is last on the status screen.

nafizl
07-19-2011, 06:54 PM
I Never knew there was a order well to be fair I just bought Ocarina of Time 3d but if you could do spirit temple first do spirit temple because um you should! :S

darunia
07-19-2011, 07:13 PM

You can do the Spirit temple before the Shadow temple.
Here is how.
Do the Water temple getting the longshot.

Then go to the Haunted wasteland.
The first trial is the sinking sand,so fire your longshot and if you line it up correctly it will attach to a wooden block which then pulls you across.
I do it this way regular.

jamezrockz98
07-27-2011, 01:03 AM
I think Shadow was meant to be first because in the 5 Silver Ruppee room in the spirit temple, there is one silver ruppee that you can only get with the hover boots (located in the shadow temple). You can get this rupee with normal boots but it's really hard....

DarkHylian
07-27-2011, 01:27 AM
I believe the Shadow was meant to be first and then finally the Spirit Temple. Yes, you can do the Gerudo Fortress then go grab the Lens and go back to the Haunted Wasteland, but it just never seemed right to me. I mean, if you go into Kakariko Village (which you have to do before going to either temple) it seems like it sets you up to go to the Shadow Temple first. Bongo Bongo escapes and attacks Link and Sheik. Grab the Lens and head straight into the graveyard to the temple.

I know the Spirit Medallion is placed before the Shadow, but my ten year old brain told me to follow the path that seemed the most clear to me.

Go to village/ go down well/ go to Shadow Temple right near well > Go to Gerudo Fortress/ go to village/ go down well/ go to Haunted Wasteland/ go to Spirit Temple

RegalBryant
07-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Shiek and Navi both mention the Shadow temple first, as does the OFFICIAL guide be Nintendo Power, so I'd say:
Forest, Fire, Water, Shadow, Spirit, Ganondorf
I usually do it in the order of favorite to least favorite, except spirit can't come before forest or water, and water can't be before forest, so I do
Ice Cavern, Fire, Forest, Water, Spirit, Bottom of the Well, Shadow, Ganondorf.

Also, the reason Saria mentions the Spirit Temple could be that either A. you haven't got the song of storms, or B. you already did the well, so you have nothing left as a child but that

MW7
07-27-2011, 10:24 AM
I think Shadow was meant to be first because in the 5 Silver Ruppee room in the spirit temple, there is one silver ruppee that you can only get with the hover boots (located in the shadow temple). You can get this rupee with normal boots but it's really hard....

There is another way. If you stand near the doorway at the far side of the room, you can longshot through the silver rupee to the climbable wall.

BigBig
07-27-2011, 12:42 PM
You can do Forest - Water - Fire like my friend did.

I also did Spirit - Shadow cause thats what I though you were supposed to do.

Ice Sage
07-27-2011, 01:31 PM
I've always done the Spirit Temple before the Shadow Temple and for a long time I belived that was the way you were supposed to do the game.

Pendio
07-31-2011, 09:44 AM
I like to save the Spirit Temple for last, since Koume and Kotake are the bosses there and since they are the mothers of Ganondorf it seems better, plot wise, to play through the Spirit Temple right before Ganon's Castle.

Also, the Hover Boots may come in handy during the Spirit Temple, even if they are not necessarily required.

Hyrules_Ruler
07-31-2011, 10:30 AM
I have always gone Shadow first after Water, for the sole fact that in '99,when I was 10, I bought a Prima Official guide for OoT for my original N64 version. And it led me straight to the Shadow Temple after beating Morpha in the walkthrough. So I still instinctively do it today. Wish I still had that guide...good collectible..

FireArrow
07-31-2011, 02:09 PM
But when Sheik tell you about the sages when you first draw the Master Sword, in order she goes: Forest, Fire, Water, Shadow, Spirit.

Medix
07-31-2011, 02:20 PM
Yes, I'd say the official order is Forest - Fire - Water - Shadow - Spirit.
But the first time I played OoT, I did Forest - Water - Shadow - Spirit - Fire. :sweat:

UraZelda
07-31-2011, 02:22 PM
spirit comes before shadow and if you think im wrong check the title screen of OoT or the collection screen the medals will do in a clockwise order

Fiery Klongo
07-31-2011, 09:12 PM
If you value doing things in order then you should do the shadow temple first. The Spirit temple is much funner in a ton of ways compared to the Shadow temple.

Ryuyasha
07-31-2011, 09:17 PM
Shadow first then Spirit Last

I think it's that way because,

1. Two items in the Spirit Temple
2. You use both Young and Adult Link
3. You meet a crap ton of new NPC's

Fullmetal
08-01-2011, 02:02 PM
I think that the shadow and spirit temple can come in either order, but their definately are some things you should do before attempting the spirit temple like going to the well and such. Oh, and you can cross the river of sand without hover boots. I usually play the game forest-fire-water-shadow-spirit, but I could always do it the other way.

GoldenWolf12
08-01-2011, 04:02 PM
That's very interesting. It makes more sense Spirit then Shadow because as you mentioned Shadow is more difficult. But it doesn't quite make sense to go back to Kakariko (I don't have a resourse for that word to check if it's right or not) and come all the way back to Gerudo (same thing for this).
I think it was made to be both ways. You could do Spirit before or after Shadow.

FierceDeityDeku
08-05-2011, 01:49 AM
If anyone notices, when you first become an adult, Sheik names all the temples. And he/she says "the house of the dead" (Shadow temple) before a "goddess of the sand" (Spirit temple).

Purehalo59
08-05-2011, 08:21 AM
My friend and I have had quite an extended debate in relate. To the temple progression in OoT. We have come to an agreement Thea first ir the forest temple followed by fire then water. What he says is next is the shadow temple but I believe that the spirit temple comes next. Please help me win this argument :)

Linkdude74
08-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Ok. Next is the bottom of the well. lol. But you can do either one once you get the hover boots from the shadow temple. Most people I know do shadow first because they're already in there to get the hover boots, but it's your choice.

MightyGhirahim
08-05-2011, 09:09 AM
truthfully, you could do either one, but usually people say the shadow temple is next. Because that is the order the medallions are in. But as I said, you could do either one :)

xmajorax
08-05-2011, 09:11 AM
While it is possible to complete the Spirit Temple before the Shadow Temple, the official order given by Sheik, Navi and all the players guides is: Forest, Fire, Water, Shadow and Spirit. The Medallion and Ocarina songs for Shadow and Spirit are switched in the status menu, yes, but that is likely because sometime during the production stage the order was reversed.
Sorry buddy, you lost this one.

Keaton
08-05-2011, 09:11 AM
Well I guess it could go both ways....
When Sheik is telling you about the sages he mentions the Shadow Temple first:
"One in a deep forest...
One on a high mountain...
One under a vast lake...
One within the house of the dead...
One inside a goddess of the sand..."

But thats assuming hes telling you the right order :P
Navi's promts also direct you to the Shadow Temple, but Saria tell you to go to the Spirit Temple.

A very interesting thing still exists and it is this; in the start Menu, the Medallion that shows up first in in fact the Spirit Medallion...suggesting that it is right to do first

It doesn't matter which one you choose first because although the items you obtain in the Shadow Temple (Hover Boots and the Lense of Truth) are helpful in completeing the Spirit Temple, they are not at all neccesary. I think, storywise, the Spirit Temple seems more fitting to be the final temple because it is more fulfilling and it is where Ganondorf emerged from.

Mikepoke101
08-05-2011, 01:36 PM
I believe the only reason people do the shadow temple first is because of what Navi tells you,she doesn't mention the Gerudo Fortress until the Shadow temple is complete. Other then that I have no problem doing the Spirit Temple first I just think that first time players did what Navi told them and did the Shadow Temple first. And after beating the Game and playing it again they just stuck to the same tactic.

Purehalo59
08-05-2011, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, I guess that I would have to admit defeat on this one, even though I have always done the spirit temple before the shadow temple.

guy123
08-06-2011, 02:33 PM
I personally always do shadow then spirit, and it seems that the game is intended to be played that way.

BloodKnight88
08-14-2011, 04:37 AM
agreed, i once did a fire-forest-water-spirit-shadow order once. but it didn't feel right to me. the order Sheik said is best to me.

dulcespam
12-27-2011, 10:55 AM
well i'm playing the OoT 3D and I went to the shadow temple first but then i notice that I had skipped the spirit medallion so probably nintendo intented that way..

Corrol132
12-27-2011, 11:40 AM
I think Spirit goes first, but I always do Shadow Temple first.

lolentine
12-27-2011, 11:59 AM
I went with the shadow temple first because of navi.

ShinyFlitwick
12-27-2011, 12:36 PM
I never knew you could do that...but why do you say that Bongo Bongo is the toughest boss in the game?
He's so easy. I think the only boss that was really tough was Ganon, but that's just me...

yellow_turtle
12-30-2011, 12:27 AM
shadow temple is first (at least thats how I see it) The whole temple is pretty easy and thats the way things were told to you. Lol I thought Bongo Bongo was the easiest!!!

NinLink
12-30-2011, 04:13 AM
I persoanlly do Spirit temple last. I think the quest screen are just set up that way for shadow and spirit because that is actually just the way they put it. Simple.